U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 01:53 PM

26 posts, read 48,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Fashion District Mega-Project Proposed - Los Angeles Downtown News - For Everything Downtown L.A.!: News

Here's an interesting article I have found that I think y'all Angelenos might like. Seems like the L.A. Fashion District is also due for a major makeover it seems.
I hope this happens. It will hopefully spark other projects that will connect the fashion district to the rest of downtown a bit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,033,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It would be great if we can construct more like that. "Modern Art Deco". **** it, lazer cut rock, no labor. More than just a huge glass cube.
I swear I hope this happens one day!!! Hell, I wish it was happening right now! A nation-wide Art Deco Revival in the architectural world! Just imagine how beautiful our cities would truly be if that happens!

Old 04-13-2013, 01:24 AM

11,435 posts, read 15,946,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
This is largely true.

There actually IS enough shelter spaces and SRO for the people that will actually accept the terms and conditions of living in these situations.

But there is a large enough population of mentally ill and hardcore drug addicts that won't accept ANY housing situation, let alone one with significant conditions.

And unfortunately the local government along with SOME shady organizations taking govt money and support in the name of supposedly helping the homeless(and unfortunately the ones most vocal in attempting to tug on peoples heartstrings) have created a little mini environment on skid row that is conducive to allowing mentally ill and drug addicts an "acceptable"(at least in their minds) social living situation.

The number of homeless, and better yet the number of criminals that prey on them, will continue to diminish as Downtown LA increases in population and tourists. I already notice fewer and fewer transients in the area where I live(South Park), and also fewer along 7th, Hill, Broadway, and Spring. The more "normal" people that are in the area, the less comfortable the scammers, addicts, and hustlers will feel. Eventually this should break the stranglehold the addict and criminal elements have over the Skid Row area....its just going to take quite a few years.
Homeless have to live somewhere too, don't they? Why should they be the ones who have to move?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:19 PM

4,028 posts, read 8,301,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Homeless have to live somewhere too, don't they? Why should they be the ones who have to move?
Because as delineated in my post there is ample space and programs to assist the homeless in getting of the street.

There's no constitutional right to live on public streets and its criminal to panhandle, urinate and defecate in public, and be under the influence in public. Its unfortunate human that people live in that state at all.

You incorrectly operate on the premise that people are homeless through no act of their own and that there is no place for then to go. The reason the homeless should move off the streets, Especially in a very compassionate city like Los Angeles, is because there are multiple venues for them to do so. Unfortunately there is a segment of those groups doing the helping that have financial incentive to keep people homeless and some of these groups are supporting in their efforts by city politicians and policy.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:32 PM

23,252 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Because as delineated in my post there is ample space and programs to assist the homeless in getting of the street.

There's no constitutional right to live on public streets and its criminal to panhandle, urinate and defecate in public, and be under the influence in public. Its unfortunate human that people live in that state at all.

You incorrectly operate on the premise that people are homeless through no act of their own and that there is no place for then to go. The reason the homeless should move off the streets, Especially in a very compassionate city like Los Angeles, is because there are multiple venues for them to do so. Unfortunately there is a segment of those groups doing the helping that have financial incentive to keep people homeless and some of these groups are supporting in their efforts by city politicians and policy.
All major cities have homeless populations in the street. And its criminal to panhandle? Whatever. Throwing them in jail solves nothing, when they get out they will panhandle. The problem is at least partially economic. It costs money to have a place to stay, so if you have difficulty in getting a job for whatever reason, that can lead to homelessness. Or some people make to little money from working to have a proper place. Others are unable to work.

And yes, there's the welfare system and the shelter system people have to turn to and certainly many have used them to help themselves out of homelessness

But I think people make broad declarations about homeless and the poor without actually speaking to people about why they are homeless, or without speaking to people who work with this population to find out what's going on.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 PM

23,252 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Btw, I totally agree with you the welfare complex often as an interest in keeping people dependent on welfare and on the system. Likewise, charity (say giving away free food) can stop starvation, but at the end of the day the person is as poor as ever and will need more charity the next day.

You'd need to address things like barriers to employment, lack of education or training, drug laws, and addiction to reduce barriers to employment. You'd also need to address the fact minimum wage jobs, the easiest jobs to get, are impossible for adults to live off.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 PM

132 posts, read 156,371 times
Yeah maybe in another 100 yrs,

LA will finally complete its downtown & rail system revitalization.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM

547 posts, read 629,165 times
If you drop one zero from that number then you would be correct. So you are only off by 90 years.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 PM

132 posts, read 156,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
If you drop one zero from that number then you would be correct. So you are only off by 90 years.
Okay fair enough lol!

Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 AM

24,166 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Btw, I totally agree with you the welfare complex often as an interest in keeping people dependent on welfare and on the system. Likewise, charity (say giving away free food) can stop starvation, but at the end of the day the person is as poor as ever and will need more charity the next day.

You'd need to address things like barriers to employment, lack of education or training, drug laws, and addiction to reduce barriers to employment. You'd also need to address the fact minimum wage jobs, the easiest jobs to get, are impossible for adults to live off.
Yes there are a lot of issues for sure. Also it's a lot harder to live on min wage in L.A versus pretty much any city in America besides maybe SF or NYC.

The question is do the homeless/poor/ etc have a RIGHT to live in L.A if everyday middle class people many that went to college have to move because they can't afford L.A?

If you don't work anyways and/or are on welfare or Section 8, I don't see why one has a RIGHT to live in L.A?..

Also if one is "unemployed" and actually looking for a job..you can do a lot better than our over 9% unemployment rate.

Why does one view that stance as harsh, but it seems commonsense for a 'middle class' person to have to leave because they can't afford L.A?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or