U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 03:42 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,268,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Well its been almost a year since the last post and look at what's been happening downtown. It's truly amazing. The billion dollar Wilshire Grand, Metropolis and Fig Central projects u/c. The many parking lots filled in. The many apartments u/c and completed. The Broad ready to open this year. Macy's Plaza in the middle of its $200 million renovation. The new Marriott Courtyard. All the new restaurants. Look at the throngs of people at Grand . Market and all of its new choices. Incredible is all I can say. With so much more to come.
Yes, I agree. Once the current slate of projects under construction are finished, Downtown LA will really look different. And it already is night and day compared to the early 2000's...really exciting to see what comes next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 12:40 AM

5,620 posts, read 13,304,201 times
Haven't read the whole thread so I'm kinda just jumping in here with my thoughts. I think for people who are into discussing this type of stuff (like us), DTLA is becoming a game changer across the world. But to the general public, LA still gets viewed as Santa Monica, Venice, Hollywood, and traffic and suburbs. I think we've had that image for so long as DTLA being a dangerous, dirty, run down neighborhood with a few white collar workers in the few blocks along Fig and Flower that it'll be a while until that changes.

I mean let's be honest...after living outside of LA, I've heard some of the STUPIDEST questions you can imagine. On more than one occasion I destroyed people's hopes and dreams by telling them that no, celebrities do not just hang out on and walk around on Hollywood Blvd. They thought all the celebrities just go to restaurants and bars there all the time and they all live right near Hollywood Blvd. So if people are so ignorant about LA that they think celebrities actually hang out on Hollywood Blvd, it's gonna take a long time for people's views on DTLA to change.

For people actually living in LA, though, it's quickly becoming THE new destination. My friends on the westside and in the south bay have all started exploring the restaurants and bars/lounges there within the past 1-2 years. And if any of you know the south bay crowd, you know that getting them out of the south bay is a huge step, let alone all the way to DTLA. DTLA must be doing something amazing to woo the south bay crowd all the way there.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:21 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,336,521 times
I think DTLA is one of the easiest places to change past perceptions because of the numerous activities that bring people from everywhere in the city, county, SoCal and out of state. I think the biggest are the sports teams such as the Clippers, Lakers, Kings, Dodgers. Many people drive/train from all over to see their team or fly in to see the rival team and walk around parts of Downtown to eat, or stay in hotels. Nokia and Staples bring in huge concerts and award shows. Many people from all over come and see the transformations, stay in hotels, and walk around, and hit the bars and clubs. The LA marathon, CicLAvia and other large events allow people from other areas to see local streets. 4th of July and New Years and Made In America brought out 10s of Thousands to come party in Grand Park at afternoon/night. Some use the subway system for the first time (I know because some looked clueless on how to use it).

Things are falling into place but there is still a lot of room to grow and improve. Currently it does feel like a big construction site with all the new projects getting done at the same time. In a few years when many projects are done, all these hotels are filled and thousands of residential units are filled and more restaurants, bars, and shops are open, it should be more vibrant day and night.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:22 AM

317 posts, read 292,970 times
Do bars still close at 2 am in DTLA? If they want a drastic change have businesses close whenever they like.

I think the real reason things get shady at night in LA is because everything closes and it becomes a ghost town. So whatever people there are on the streets, they can get away with it since no one is around. Its not like that in NYC. There are loads of people everywhere, at any time. Yea I know I got real off topic.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:46 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,423,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
Do bars still close at 2 am in DTLA? If they want a drastic change have businesses close whenever they like.

I think the real reason things get shady at night in LA is because everything closes and it becomes a ghost town. So whatever people there are on the streets, they can get away with it since no one is around. Its not like that in NYC. There are loads of people everywhere, at any time. Yea I know I got real off topic.
2am yea

DTLA has a really good bar scene. Maybe 10 years ago it would have been a bit dangerous to go on a bar crawl in DTLA. Not anymore. The streets are full of people well into the wee hours. When the bars close they pile into Dennys, Fat Burger, The Pantry etc.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:43 AM

It's honestly embarrassing how early LA shuts down. I can't think of another world class city that closes that early. Miami, Chicago, NYC, DC, Toronto, London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, etc. For example, in Miami they made the entertainment district a 24 hour zone. We could at least make DTLA legally stay open till 4 or 5. That would make it a huge destination and draw lots of crowds from the westside. And it would provide a place outside of Hollywood to party at till late. Idk about you guys, but I hate going out in Hollywood.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:48 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It's honestly embarrassing how early LA shuts down. I can't think of another world class city that closes that early. Miami, Chicago, NYC, DC, Toronto, London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, etc. For example, in Miami they made the entertainment district a 24 hour zone. We could at least make DTLA legally stay open till 4 or 5. That would make it a huge destination and draw lots of crowds from the westside. And it would provide a place outside of Hollywood to party at till late. Idk about you guys, but I hate going out in Hollywood.
It's state law.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
It's state law.
There was a bill in Sacramento to extend the hours. The L.A. members of the Legislature all vigorously opposed it, and killed it. Nannyism is really ingrained here even more than in CA as a whole, which is saying a lot.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:49 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,296,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There was a bill in Sacramento to extend the hours. The L.A. members of the Legislature all vigorously opposed it, and killed it. Nannyism is really ingrained here even more than in CA as a whole, which is saying a lot.
You can't pin everything on "The State" or local pols. That bill never got out of committee, and the most vocal opposition came from groups like MADD and police departments.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:38 PM

Oh I know it's state law. Doesn't mean that can't be changed though. For example, I'm in Louisville now and we close at 4am while the rest of state closes at 2am, except Lexington at 2:30am. Many of the biggest cities in states have later closing times that the rest of their state. I mean for pure economic benefit, I can't see how keeping bars in JUST DTLA open till 4am would be negative. Families won't be affected like in Hermosa or Santa Monica or Manhattan. DTLA is yuppies. They want the late night city life and DTLA is the perfect place to make that happen. I think there's a better chance of getting an exemption for DTLA rather than an exemption for all of LA. Changing state law for the entire state will never happen so I won't even bother discussing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or