Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 01:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Oh I know it's state law. Doesn't mean that can't be changed though. For example, I'm in Louisville now and we close at 4am while the rest of state closes at 2am, except Lexington at 2:30am. Many of the biggest cities in states have later closing times that the rest of their state. I mean for pure economic benefit, I can't see how keeping bars in JUST DTLA open till 4am would be negative. Families won't be affected like in Hermosa or Santa Monica or Manhattan. DTLA is yuppies. They want the late night city life and DTLA is the perfect place to make that happen. I think there's a better chance of getting an exemption for DTLA rather than an exemption for all of LA. Changing state law for the entire state will never happen so I won't even bother discussing that.
You need the approval of the legislature to get an exemption for particular areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 05:47 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You need the approval of the legislature to get an exemption for particular areas.
I know that too. And that's why I'm saying that if someone were to push for this in DTLA, and only in DTLA, I think there could be a good chance compared to, say, changing last call to 4am for all of LA or all of CA.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,447 times
Quote:
I know that too. And that's why I'm saying that if someone were to push for this in DTLA, and only in DTLA, I think there could be a good chance compared to, say, changing last call to 4am for all of LA or all of CA.
Lousiville has us beat. What a really dumb law.

Not sure the state could carve out such a special exception for downtown LA (which I would fully support). When certain development projects near skid row have proposed bars or liquor stores advocacy groups come out and said no, this is a bad influence on skid row and the homeless, etc.

Law enforcement made some really stupid arguments against the state bill to change the law back in 2013 before it got shot down. There was talk back then of making it into a ballot initiative in 2016. One can hope the voters won't be so narrow minded and stupid.

California 4am last call for alcohol proposal rejected | abc7.com

Old 04-13-2015, 11:38 PM

Yeah honestly when I visited for the first time I couldn't believe it. And obviously now that I live here, I can say the bars and clubs aren't actually more fun than many in LA, but the ability to be out for 2 more hours is amazing. It makes the drinking more casual and spread out. At least for my friends and I, 2am pushes us to binge drink, rather than marathon drink like in cities with last calls of 4-6am. In my 9 months here, I've only thrown up once haha. In LA or SF, that number is usually once per month

In LA, everyone rushes to drink quickly because the bars won't be open long. And it gives us a blemished reputation to the world. All over Europe people think we must be open till like 6am because LA is such a destination city. The ones that HAVE been to CA were very turned off from the entire state due to our early last call. It sort of ruined their image of CA being this fun lively party destination and it disappointed them so much it left them with a sour taste. One told me he got to a bar in SF where he paid $10 get in, ordered a beer, sat down, and last call was called. It totally turned him off from CA as a place to revisit to spend money as a nightlife destination.

Back to the main topic, I really think there needs to be some push, either from the public or officials, to change the last call in DTLA. If DTLA closed down at 4 or even 5, it would easily become the nightlife mecca most cities' downtowns truly are. I haven't had the chance to go out too much in DTLA, but I know Exchange stays open till 6am on Saturdays, it just can't serve alcohol. Once the alcohol stops flowing, the people start leaving as the liquid courage leaves their system. Right now, Hollywood, Santa Monica, and Hermosa steal a lot of business that DTLA could profit off of. Plus, 2 hours of more sales equals 2 hours more of income equals 2 hours more in taxes paid. How could that honestly be a bad thing? And again, I would love to stay out late in DTLA rather than Hollywood

Since DTLA is trying to promote the truest urban living in LA, I think having the heavy foot traffic for longer periods of time would increase the safety in numbers idea. And people want to live/play/work in the same neighborhood. Right now, a lot of LA works downtown, but they live and play elsewhere. If it became a destination to "play" too, that's 2/3 factors. Then if people realize they're spending more and more time in DTLA, they'll consider moving. At least that's who I see it playing out and how it would work for me. If I were to move back to LA and work for the same company again in City National Plaza, it would be a no brainer for me to live in DTLA. The added later last call would just be a huge bonus and secure the idea of DTLA the right choice for me.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:10 AM

^^^^I think downtown LA already is one of the best nightlife districts in LA County and is only getting better every year. You'd get laughed out the door with that comment 10 years ago.

That said, any change in the state law would only give the city the right to change the law as it sees fit. So given the Nimbyism that rules LA, I think it would be very likely to see an extended last call in special districts like downtown LA and Hollywood. Of course, it would interesting to see if smaller cities like West Hollywood and Hermosa would follow suit.

Yes, Louisville is putting LA to shame....

Old 04-14-2015, 12:19 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
It's honestly embarrassing how early LA shuts down. I can't think of another world class city that closes that early. Miami, Chicago, NYC, DC, Toronto, London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, etc..
Bars also close at 2 am in Toronto.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And most of the bars/clubs in Rio de Janeiro close around 2am. Although I am sure during Mardi Gras and New Years it could be different. So LA is not totally alone..

Old 04-14-2015, 12:29 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
It's honestly embarrassing how early LA shuts down. I can't think of another world class city that closes that early. Miami, Chicago, NYC, DC, Toronto, London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, etc. For example, in Miami they made the entertainment district a 24 hour zone. We could at least make DTLA legally stay open till 4 or 5. That would make it a huge destination and draw lots of crowds from the westside. And it would provide a place outside of Hollywood to party at till late. Idk about you guys, but I hate going out in Hollywood.
I highly doubt native Angelenos, for the most part, are all that upset and disappointed bars close at 2 am. Los Angeles isn't a big club city.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:41 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I highly doubt native Angelenos, for the most part, are all that upset and disappointed bars close at 2 am. Los Angeles isn't a big club city.
Clubs definitely don't seem as popular/cool in L.A as they may have been in the past. A lot of places now are more lounges or cocktail lounges.

Vegas , Miami definitely seem to have bigger 'club scenes' .

Vegas is not too far for L.A people , and if they want the all night experience it's not far away.

This is kind of interesting

The 15 Most Popular Bars & Clubs in L.A., According to Lyft Users - Los Angeles Magazine

Old 04-14-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
^^^^I think downtown LA already is one of the best nightlife districts in LA County and is only getting better every year. You'd get laughed out the door with that comment 10 years ago.

That said, any change in the state law would only give the city the right to change the law as it sees fit. So given the Nimbyism that rules LA, I think it would be very likely to see an extended last call in special districts like downtown LA and Hollywood. Of course, it would interesting to see if smaller cities like West Hollywood and Hermosa would follow suit.

Yes, Louisville is putting LA to shame....
It definitely does, but think it's prime for being THE destination for nightlife. It's not that yet, but it has the potential for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
When I was there a lot closed at 3. Maybe last call is 2 and they stay open till 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
And most of the bars/clubs in Rio de Janeiro close around 2am. Although I am sure during Mardi Gras and New Years it could be different. So LA is not totally alone..
Can't comment on Rio since I've never been. I know Buenos Aires stays open later at least in South America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I mean yeah that's true. I'm the one of my friends always wanting to stay out latest. But then again, back the original point, allowing DTLA to have a later last call would be a true game changer in LA's nightlife scene. It would become a destination for the Angelenos who DO want that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles