U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 AM

356 posts, read 894,946 times

Advertisements

DTLA is finally comming together but still so far away from
Meeting the vibrancy of other American and world metropolises.

One thing that is great about Dtla is the food, very diversified. I've found this awesome strip of mostly Mexican but also central and to a lesser extent south American food vendors . It's my favorite spot and probably the most exciting thing I've ever experienced in Dtla!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 12:09 PM

4,028 posts, read 8,297,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
The reason things are happening now is because "they" thought of it 20 years ago. I lived downtown probably at the tail end of its worst era in the early '80s. There was a "they" back then that had a vision of development. Had it happened overnight it wouldn't be genuine. You don't just build stuff or tear down things, or refashion streets, and that lesson comes from maturity. Be grateful for it.
I think people forget what a disaster bombshelled area DTLA used to be. In 1990 I went to a Dodgers game for the first time by myself with some friends(we were all 17). On the way home, the freeways were just a mess so we got off and figured if we went south a bit, and then east, we would be just fine(we all lived in MP/Montebello/Rosemead). So driving south on Broadway at about 10:30pm, what do we see? About 20 homeless people surrounding a giant bonfire right in the middle of Broadway. Not on the sidewalk, but actually in the very middle of the street!

People talk about skid row, forgetting that the really messed up part of downtown used to be east from Olive St, rather than Los Angeles Street as it is now. People forget that bums used to sleep on the lawn at City Hall in the not so distant past.

Things started to change in the mid to late 90's. Those spanish language shops you see along Broadway....those didn't exist in current form just 15 -20 years ago. Even though they are considered blightish now, those shops were the first steps towards revitalizing downtown. That business district along with more police presence started the process towards making the inner parts of downtown safer.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I agree but I have also met tourists that only went to LA Live, thinking this was the thing to do in Downtown LA. Maybe this group is not representative but I have met a few like this.

I see lots of Euro tourists in the Civic Center area and have seen some in the Jewelry district and Financial District.

They are not making a mistake by wandering around. DTLA is absolutely beautiful on a mild spring or fall day...say temperatures in the mid 70's, sun shinning, not a cloud in the sky, crisp and clear. All the historic buildings look amazing at this time.

Same is true of early evening .....say 5-7pm after daylight savings time kicks in. The weather at this time of year just can't be any more perfect.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 AM

26 posts, read 48,044 times
I have friends from Melbourne visiting Los Angeles for the second time and they will be staying not only Downtown, but at the Millenium Biltmore Hotel, just blocks from my house. One of the first things they said they wanted to do in Los Angeles was see the Walt Disney Concert Hall and see the Philharmonic. How exciting is it that someone in another country thinks of Los Angeles as this?!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM

5,798 posts, read 5,236,136 times
There's no shortage of top-notch restaurants in DTLA, so your friends will have plenty of choices in selecting places to dine.

LA's been playing catchup with cities such as SF, Montreal, Toronto, Chicago & NYC as it relates to an invigorating downtown for years, but they still have a ways to go.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:02 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,542,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualevi View Post
I have friends from Melbourne visiting Los Angeles for the second time and they will be staying not only Downtown, but at the Millenium Biltmore Hotel, just blocks from my house. One of the first things they said they wanted to do in Los Angeles was see the Walt Disney Concert Hall and see the Philharmonic. How exciting is it that someone in another country thinks of Los Angeles as this?!
To your and JohnG72's comments, the informed tourists do visit places like Disney Hall or the Historic Core. Heck I even met a few Germans at the Watts Towers about 15 years ago.

The uninformed tourists show up to places like LA Live and sit at the ESPN Zone thinking this is LA. Very pathetic.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,493,009 times
Here's my experience: I left for the Army in Aug of 2009. As a little farewell tour I wandered all over LA soaking it all in so I wouldn't forget it lol January of this year, I get back from afghanistan for 30 days of leave and HOLY Moderator cut: expletive! Just in that short span of a little less than 3 years DTLA has changed so much. I remember when friends would visit and wanted to go downtown I'd say "okay but there isn't much to do there" Now, it's all condos and yuppies lol Which in my opinion isn't my favorite thing but I'm so excited to see this amazing city blossom into the potential it has always had. Someone said Houston was the city of the 21st century well...I for one like to think Los Angeles is right there with them

Last edited by Count David; 04-14-2012 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: language

Old 04-08-2012, 10:21 PM

203 posts, read 451,507 times
Only thing to me that really stops Downtown from growing, or even me wanting it to grow, is the traffic is already HORRID in that area...and this is only going to get worse.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:28 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,558,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
Only thing to me that really stops Downtown from growing, or even me wanting it to grow, is the traffic is already HORRID in that area...and this is only going to get worse.
You can easily catch public transportation from South Central to dt LA.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
I walk almost everywhere in downtown. On occasion I use the Redline to get somewhere. I walk to work every day which is a little over a mile. Everywhere else is closer.

I agree that traffic is horrid. I laugh at the people who drive down here. I wouldn't do it.

However, once the trolley is in place in a few years, it should at least provide an alternative.

Pretty much people will have to get used to using public transportation or walking in the area rather than driving a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or