U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
 
356 posts, read 897,636 times
Reputation: 326

Advertisements

^^ thanks !

I'm going to ride again tomorrow morning for further exploration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,125 posts, read 21,180,847 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Any risk of getting off in say...
No - because Crackton is in Springfield - and the L.A. Metro lines don't travel to that location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,045 posts, read 1,547,657 times
Reputation: 690
I've been riding the red line quite a bit recently. It is REALLY, REALLY nice!

The urban core of LA would be so much nicer with more heavy (underground) lines in key dense corridors (wilshre blvd, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Eastchester, Bronx, NY
1,085 posts, read 1,908,009 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I've been riding the red line quite a bit recently. It is REALLY, REALLY nice!

The urban core of LA would be so much nicer with more heavy (underground) lines in key dense corridors (wilshre blvd, etc).

Well, Wilshire Blvd. needs it more than any other by a huge margin - it would probably exist right now to Santa Monica if not for that ban in the 90s. Then again, if the Purple Line did go to Santa Monica today - there would probably be no Expo Line.

It doesn't look like more heavy rail is on the horizon since it looks like light rail is the top choice for rail transit in LA right now. If I had to pick a couple of corridors that could use heavy rail today, it would be Vermont Av. south of Wilshire - and a line shadowing the 405 (but not ON it, mind you) running on Sepulveda Blvd in the Westside, hitting UCLA, going under the hills and running along Van Nuys Blvd in the Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 12,597,910 times
Reputation: 3941
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Well, Wilshire Blvd. needs it more than any other by a huge margin - it would probably exist right now to Santa Monica if not for that ban in the 90s. Then again, if the Purple Line did go to Santa Monica today - there would probably be no Expo Line.

It doesn't look like more heavy rail is on the horizon since it looks like light rail is the top choice for rail transit in LA right now. If I had to pick a couple of corridors that could use heavy rail today, it would be Vermont Av. south of Wilshire - and a line shadowing the 405 (but not ON it, mind you) running on Sepulveda Blvd in the Westside, hitting UCLA, going under the hills and running along Van Nuys Blvd in the Valley.
The Purple Line will be extended, so there is some heavy rail construction planned for the near future.

Way, way down the road there are plans for a Vermont Ave heavy rail line headed south and the Sepulveda Pass could get heavy rail too. These two are at least a few decades away though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Glendale, CA
1,296 posts, read 2,024,207 times
Reputation: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
It doesn't look like more heavy rail is on the horizon since it looks like light rail is the top choice for rail transit in LA right now.
???

Westside Subway Extension
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Eastchester, Bronx, NY
1,085 posts, read 1,908,009 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The Purple Line will be extended, so there is some heavy rail construction planned for the near future.

Way, way down the road there are plans for a Vermont Ave heavy rail line headed south and the Sepulveda Pass could get heavy rail too. These two are at least a few decades away though.
Sorry abut that - I meant besides the Purple Line. The Sepulveda Pass project is (I think) under Measure R so that could happen sooner - but there's a very real possibility that ends up being another Orange Line - which would not be good for the Westside OR the Valley. It would be SOMETHING, sure, but not the best option. A rail line connecting the Orange Line to Purple Line would be great at a bare minimum. Connecting Orange and Expo would be even better.

Last edited by K 22; 04-18-2012 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM
 
26 posts, read 48,154 times
Reputation: 17
While I understand the complaint of the traffic getting into Downtown, I would hope that in the future that will be a complaint that can't exist. Meaning, if people understood urbanism more they would get that a city should not be planned for a car. I get that right now, Downtown is still a destination vs. a way of life for most Angelenos, and there are tons of areas with no public transport other than a bus that takes you to downtown, but eventually the fact that it doesnt work with a car can't be an excuse for lack of development. Ciclavia was a perfect example of how great Downtown is without a car, and there are many downtowners that would prefer the streets to be closed off and be more Plaza like. I will say I think Spring St is becoming the benchmark of planning for Los Angeles, the reuse ordinace, the bike lanes, the future parklets, the events on spring, etc. Spring St. is the perfect example of how Downtown should be and what is is becoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 12:40 AM
 
Location: SoCal
19 posts, read 30,641 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualevi View Post
While I understand the complaint of the traffic getting into Downtown, I would hope that in the future that will be a complaint that can't exist. Meaning, if people understood urbanism more they would get that a city should not be planned for a car. I get that right now, Downtown is still a destination vs. a way of life for most Angelenos, and there are tons of areas with no public transport other than a bus that takes you to downtown, but eventually the fact that it doesnt work with a car can't be an excuse for lack of development. Ciclavia was a perfect example of how great Downtown is without a car, and there are many downtowners that would prefer the streets to be closed off and be more Plaza like. I will say I think Spring St is becoming the benchmark of planning for Los Angeles, the reuse ordinace, the bike lanes, the future parklets, the events on spring, etc. Spring St. is the perfect example of how Downtown should be and what is is becoming.

Well said.

I wrote a whole angry post about people complaining about traffic, stupid conservatives (redundant), and the need for more people to get behind Rail development. But I deleted it. Whats the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 04:42 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,529 times
Reputation: 14
Default Dtla

I moved to Downtown Los Angeles after spending 5 months in Los Feliz. I liked Los Feliz but felt that it was too homogenous, too spread out. Walking through deserted residential streets at night to grab a drink is not my idea of "walkable neighborhood".

Keep in mind that I moved here from NYC (greenwich village) so my idea of a walkable neighborhood is... an entire city.

Now, DTLA is an interesting animal. A part of me gets very frustrated with it. Why? Because this city let it rot for decades. It was the hotspot in the 30s and 40s, the stomping grounds of the rich and famous. And then it entered a downward spiral that has only recently been reversed. Walking by the movie palaces, which are almost all in ruins, is so depressing. And fine, the Orpheum is beautiful- but what about the 20 other ones that are either falling apart, or being used to sell cell phone covers?

There is only one problem with DTLA.

SKID ROW.

Eliminate Skid Row, and you finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

No amount of fine dining, bars, hotels, tourists or gentrification is going to make a difference. It's a dog chasing its tail.

Go for a walk after 9 pm in any street OTHER than Spring. What's the experience like? Be honest. It's not pleasant. Your nostrils will be working overtime, breathing in some of the most unpleasant bodily fumes you can imagine. You will be pestered for money by some half-sane homeless people. Then you will be pestered by some bat**** crazy ones. Sure, the pirate is sweet. But for every pirate there are hundreds, thousands of insane ones who WILL NOT LEAVE YOU ALONE.

You sit outside Pete's Cafe, you think "oh this is quite nice", but then the whiff of **** hits you, you're surrounded by zombie homeless people, and you are reminded that...

DTLA is just not there yet. And it won't be for a really [mod]language[/mod] long time, because Skid Row's shadow looms large over most corners of it. Sure, you won't find the homeless at California Plaza. Or outside Deloitte and Douche. But the other parts are overrun.

You want St. Francis style sympathy? **** that. I had that for the first two weeks of living here. It vanished. I feel sorry for the homeless because they are victims of a ridiculous, ignorant, arrogant political system. Most of them are insane. Some are criminally insane. And others are just criminals. They need to be dealt with accordingly. Putting missions in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles was the biggest mistake ever- because it fuels the fire.



Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualevi View Post
I think we can all agree that although Downtown Los Angeles has been steadily improving over the years, the last year and a half have been so rapid and beneficial for the area. The restaurants opening have been significant (big ones such as Perch, Umamicatessan, Artisan House, etc) the community is stronger and more connected than ever (Historic Core won neighborhood of the year), more lofts and apartments are on the way, more hotels are on the way, Broadway is seeing a wave of new life and energy, new significant towers are on the way, etc. More and more people are also using public transport, more companies are moving back downtown, retail is making a big comeback (targetcity), the area is becoming greener with new parks, etc. I could go on and on with all the transformations it has been experiencing. And because I work at Perch, I see that people from all over Los Angeles are changing their attitudes of Downtown. So, if you are aware of all this and know everything thats on the way (the list goes on and on. If you don't know I can tell you!) and you can see the depth of the people that live here (its something different than a "hollywood" mentality) would it be safe to say that Downtown Los Angeles is really redefining Los Angeles and on the right path to becoming a world class representation for the city? Thoughts?

Last edited by Count David; 05-26-2012 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top