U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,565,187 times

Advertisements

The new Grand Park is amazing. I am almost speechless. What an addition to dt LA. The fountain itself is so beautiful. The part in front of City Hall will open in October. They were saying this is LA's new meeting place for the 4th of July and New Years eve. We will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 03:21 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,542,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The new Grand Park is amazing. I am almost speechless. What an addition to dt LA. The fountain itself is so beautiful. The part in front of City Hall will open in October. They were saying this is LA's new meeting place for the 4th of July and New Years eve. We will see.
Looking forward to seeing some of your amazing photos of the new park. I've not been yet but look forward to seeing it soon.

The LA Times architecture critic Christopher Hawthorne praised the park's design for the most part. But he did express two concerns:
1) the park is somewhat hidden from street view;
2) and the location is not located in the middle of districts of downtown where revitalizaiton has taken place (So. Park, Historic Core, etc).

Can't change the location of the park but I am guessing downtown residents (and workers) are so ready for a park that PLENTY of people will use it.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:13 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,565,187 times
I love the location being right next door to the Music Center. Its like the missing link has just been filled. It blends in perfectly with the MC. There were sooo many people there today and yesterday. Lots of kids too.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:27 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,493,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Bro L.A hosted the olympics twice the only city in America to have done so
Every city has it's problem and in L.A we had the 92 riots that flipped the city on it's head,matter fact L.A in the 90"s was the murder capital and broke records of gang related homicides...but the potential that L.A has in it's short history has been amazing if L.A had the same start in the 1600"s like NYC Phillie d.c than I think everything we're building up right now would've been done like the Westside subway project or subway to the lax" but with all it's problems L.A. Is still a world class city it still competes with NYC and London on a world level and to keep it on topic downtown L.A has great history in it's short period....... The fashion center is the biggest in the country alot of people don't even know that because they're always judging Los Angeles instead of accepting it and to be fair you guys need to google the fashion district in new York and many of you will be surprised it's almost out of
Buisness.....than throw in the biggest jewelry district in the nation is downtown L.A the historic site on Broadway where Michael Jackson shot the thriller video that's amazing alone.....but give downtown a couple more years of construction and I see the future of downtown being better than any city downtown
Well said my man, those were my thoughts exactly. Downtown LA is phenominal considering how far it fell. But like you said about the Fashion district, Jewelry district DTLA as so much to offer that seeming nobody ever cares to notice because they're too busy calling it suburban or hating on Hollywood...etc.

I saw a post here (it's been removed I think) titled "Downtown Denver vs Downtown LA" and all the people there were talking so much **** on DTLA and saying DT Denver won by a landslide...blah blah blah. What a joke, it's peoples own fault for not seeing what our beautiful city has to offer. For the record, DT Denver does not win by a landslide, DTLA is bigger and better and has more historic architecture and vibe.

I came home for leave in June spent all two weeks downtown and on the westside as well as home near Vermont/Beverly. The majority of that time was spent downtown and wow. I've been away for a few years now and I haven't had too many chances to see LA in that span. I'm so happy to see downtown alive and getting healthier and healthier.

Last edited by Count David; 07-31-2012 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: expletive

Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,027,794 times
Much to my happiness, LA's focus is rapidly moving away from just the West side/Westwood/Beverly Hills/Hollywood/Weho to the farther inland, eastern parts of the city. Downtowns turnaround is a BIG deal. It will completely redefine this city. What began with Staples Center/Showtime Lakers will elevate even further in the coming years with Farmer's Field (the stadium I think will win the bid). LA already has a downtown larger than most cities in this country -- we only regard it as small in relation to its colossal metro, but I truly believe in the next ten years LA could be third place in regards to downtown size and density. The downtown developments convey LA's evolution into a far more multifaceted city in reputation, not just west side affluence and Hollywood. I'm very excited to be living in LA for this reason.

P.S. They just opened 2/3 of Grand Park, the new downtown park betwixt the civic center buildings that will essentially be LA's millennium park. It's very cool! If this is any indication of DTLA's progress, the way Millennium Park was for Chicago (for a time), LA is not growing, it is EVOLVING. Other cities' changes are in regards to population rise or decline, or growth in land area. Population and Land area are covered in LA, so the city has to renovate or tear down and rebuild to makes any change occur.

I think it will help improve perceptions of LA, exposing the substance that is so often buried under Celebrity fluff and palm trees.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,595,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Well said my man, those were my thoughts exactly. Downtown LA is phenominal considering how far it fell. But like you said about the Fashion district, Jewelry district DTLA as so much to offer that seeming nobody ever cares to notice because they're too busy calling it suburban or hating on Hollywood...etc.

I saw a post here (it's been removed I think) titled "Downtown Denver vs Downtown LA" and all the people there were talking so much **** on DTLA and saying DT Denver won by a landslide...blah blah blah. What a joke, it's peoples own fault for not seeing what our beautiful city has to offer. For the record, DT Denver does not win by a landslide, DTLA is bigger and better and has more historic architecture and vibe.

I came home for leave in June spent all two weeks downtown and on the westside as well as home near Vermont/Beverly. The majority of that time was spent downtown and wow. I've been away for a few years now and I haven't had too many chances to see LA in that span. I'm so happy to see downtown alive and getting healthier and healthier.
That's just how it is. There is a lot of bitterness and hatred towards us for whatever reason. From anti-LA sentiments online to every single sports venue changing "Beat LA" whenver we come into town. It's just the way it is. I welcome the hate, it means they are insecure about their own city.

Last edited by Count David; 07-31-2012 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,551,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
That's just how it is. There is a lot of bitterness and hatred towards us for whatever reason. From anti-LA sentiments online to every single sports venue changing "Beat LA" whenver we come into town. It's just the way it is. I welcome the hate, it means they are insecure about their own city.
The anti-LA sentiment stems from not only insecurities from their own city but also from some of the stereotypes found in West LA; mainly in Beverly Hills.

I went to Beverly Hills for the first time since I moved to LA a month ago, and I thought it was almost unbearable. I had fun and people weren't all stereotypically rude, but I did encounter the plastic, overly caked up makeup, thinks she gorgeous but looks awful forty something year old desperate housewives. I also saw the gawdy middle easterners that should've just taken off their shirts they were showing so much chest.

The older men were gawking at my fiancee and I for whatever reason, proly because she had on a short dress and looked great. But they were staring at her right in front of their wives! The older women gave us almost ghastly scornful glances in some parts.

Mind you these were some of the people, not all, but the rude snobby stereotype rang true that day.

Point is, because Beverly Hills is a tourist spot, a lot of America sees this side of LA first and miss out on the rest of the wonderful city. They miss the wall art in Silverlake or Downtown Arts District, the BBQ in Koreatown, the shopping on Melrose, the clubs and bars on East Hollywood Cahuenga, etc.

All people around the world know about is West LA; West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Westwood, and Beverly Hills.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 AM

12,841 posts, read 23,212,253 times
@MB8abovetherim.

Downtown LA is raw, real.

Downtown Denver is shiny, bland.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:45 AM

3,884 posts, read 2,505,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Much to my happiness, LA's focus is rapidly moving away from just the West side/Westwood/Beverly Hills/Hollywood/Weho to the farther inland, eastern parts of the city. Downtowns turnaround is a BIG deal. It will completely redefine this city. What began with Staples Center/Showtime Lakers will elevate even further in the coming years with Farmer's Field (the stadium I think will win the bid). LA already has a downtown larger than most cities in this country -- we only regard it as small in relation to its colossal metro, but I truly believe in the next ten years LA could be third place in regards to downtown size and density. The downtown developments convey LA's evolution into a far more multifaceted city in reputation, not just west side affluence and Hollywood. I'm very excited to be living in LA for this reason.

P.S. They just opened 2/3 of Grand Park, the new downtown park betwixt the civic center buildings that will essentially be LA's millennium park. It's very cool! If this is any indication of DTLA's progress, the way Millennium Park was for Chicago (for a time), LA is not growing, it is EVOLVING. Other cities' changes are in regards to population rise or decline, or growth in land area. Population and Land area are covered in LA, so the city has to renovate or tear down and rebuild to makes any change occur.

I think it will help improve perceptions of LA, exposing the substance that is so often buried under Celebrity fluff and palm trees.
Thank YOu

Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 AM

2,720 posts, read 4,551,117 times
DTLA > Anything West LA has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or