Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:16 PM

184 posts, read 353,511 times

Advertisements

I agree a lot is happening in DTLA. I think it still has a way to go, but its amazing all the new places that have opened up and people actually wanting to live downtown.

There is a lot of history..and I hope that the old buildings are not torn down but just cleaned up and renovated/etc .

It would be nice to actually have downtown as a tourist/historical destination...instead of tourists going to Staples Center/LA Live and thinking that is downtown L.A

There is a lot of opportunity with the empty theaters ,etc to really do something big and world class

I would imagine once the economy gets going it'll get stronger too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualevi View Post
The renovation I am reffering only is mainly for the Macy's at Macy's Plaza, but not the mall. They really need to pull out of that space and move into a historic building on 7th or on Broadway.
And stick it to NYC with a Thanksgiving Day Parade in L.A.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post

It would be nice to actually have downtown as a tourist/historical destination...instead of tourists going to Staples Center/LA Live and thinking that is downtown L.A

There is a lot of opportunity with the empty theaters ,etc to really do something big and world class

This is happening already. The "Ace Hotel" group purchased the old United Artists Theater on Brodway. They will convert the old office space into 180 hotel rooms and the theater will be programmed with entertainment.

Unfortunately, many tourists that go to downtown LA go to LA Live and think they've seen downtown LA. As you correctly state, that is NOT at all representative of Downtown.

The Ace Hotel deal on Broadway (along with the other renovation projects on that street) should help focus more attention on the historic parts of downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post

That is true. But since the economy tanked in late 2008, downtown has CONTINUED to improve greatly, esp. in the retail/restaurant/bar category. Now more hotels and residential proejcts (including a 30+ story project by a Canadian firm) are on the way.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Give tourist a little more credit. I've met tourist at Disney Hall and the Music Center, Olvera St, Grand Central Market, on the subway, at our library, at the top of City Hall....and the list goes on!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
One question I wanna ask though..

Why didn't they think of this 20 years ago??

Old 04-05-2012, 01:57 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

Development in general? Partly because investors didn't think there were enough people with the means to rent and buy new or converted spaces in scary downtown LA. It required a number of leaps of faith, and the change in public perception is significant in itself.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,660 times
You are starting to see a lot of tourists in the Historic Core and Little Tokyo. The few times I have eaten at The Spice Table, there are always foodies from around the world eating there...many staying in local hotels. Plus, the chef at The Spice Table was just named the by Food and Wine as the best new chef in Los Angeles. I believe that places like the Lazy Ox, Church and State, Rivera, Baco Mercat, the Gorbals, Drago Centro, Perch, Umamicatessen have made DTLA a foodie paradise...with many more to come like Mo Chica and the new restaurant opening soon at the former Angelique location.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

The reason things are happening now is because "they" thought of it 20 years ago. I lived downtown probably at the tail end of its worst era in the early '80s. There was a "they" back then that had a vision of development. Had it happened overnight it wouldn't be genuine. You don't just build stuff or tear down things, or refashion streets, and that lesson comes from maturity. Be grateful for it.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:11 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Give tourist a little more credit. I've met tourist at Disney Hall and the Music Center, Olvera St, Grand Central Market, on the subway, at our library, at the top of City Hall....and the list goes on!
I agree but I have also met tourists that only went to LA Live, thinking this was the thing to do in Downtown LA. Maybe this group is not representative but I have met a few like this.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
There's also a Courtyard By Marriott/Residence Inn combo going up across the street from LA Live; they'll open in the summer of 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles