Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2007, 05:28 PM

413 posts, read 1,845,396 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a few good temp agencies in LA for people with only a GED? I'm a US citizen and only speak English, though I've picked up a little Spanish from my co-workers. I've mainly worked in factories as thats all there is here, but when we get to LA I want to work in retail or something where I'm around people, not the sheltered factory life. I was thinking of trying to get in at Universal Studios in the gift shop or any general position.
My wife: she has 7 years and very strong references and perfect attendence, she is a housekeeper but she too wants a change. I did notice many jobs for private families for housekeepers. I guess alot of the rich busy folk dont have time to keep their houses clean. Some of them pay $15.00 and hour!!!!!! Thats unheard of here. The most either one of us has ever made at a job was $14.10 but then got laid off and went back to $850 hr jobs. Back to the topic- What are some LEGIT agancies that can help us find work once we get to town? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 04:02 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
One suggestion is to work in a restaurant. Get a busboy job in the best restaurant that will hire you. Shoot for fine dining, you may be surprised. Do this long enough and you may be promoted to server. In a nice place busboys make hourly plus walk with 100+ bucks or more in tips a night.

I've worked for agencies in L.A. in the past and wasn't happy with any of them. The pay was awful too. Anyone else with good agency experience please speak up...

Old 09-09-2007, 03:47 PM

54 posts, read 312,499 times
I was meaning to pose a similar question regarding job agencies and just job hunting in general.

I'm planning on moving to LA next year, June or July and wanted to know know how to best go about finding a job in LA. I know finding one while living out of town is practically impossible but once in LA, what is the best plan of attack of finding a job fairly quickly ?? I have over 5 years Sales/Admin Assistant experience. Would that be somewhat easy to find and what type of salary could I expect to make ? I live in NYC and make $31,000 as a sales assistant in a publishing company at present. From all the salary research I've done on similar positions, I've found out that I'm grossly underpaid. Would I be making more in LA ?

In terms of finding a job, would agencies be a better option to go with ? although I normally don't like agencies and don't think they offer any good assistance, I'd be willing to try them. Would temping be a better option just to have some money coming in while I look for permanent and a way to get the foot in the door ? Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles