U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,199,824 times

Advertisements

Higher % people smoked 20-30yrs ago
Higher % obese people vs 20-30yrs ago
Urban speed lims 65MPH today vs 55MPH 20yrs ago (and key LA fwys arguably flow far smoother than 20yrs ago)
Higher % mutt ownership today vs 20-30yrs ago means more pollution on sidewalks, etc of yuppie neighborhoods, which likely have lower % homeless/carjackers than 20-30yrs ago

Stuff changes but most humans are polluting, slow critters in any era....and not sure horses&buggies of LA of 100yrs ago entailed much less pollution than yuppie mutts or the 20yo cars/buses of the obese poors of modern LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,560,790 times
I am completely amazed at the transformation. Its really incredible! This is my observation from the mid 80s when I briefly lived here and when my mom and I use to come out from DC to visit my brother. Anyone who thinks it hasn't improved is crazy. Also with crime at an all time low, greatly improved public transportation and a growing and vastly improved central core, all I can say is what an improved Los Angeles we have here.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,465,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
not being able to see the mountains because the smog was so thick.
Growing up on the PVE peninsula and Redondo Beach, we hardly knew there were mountains out there beyond DTLA, if seeing was believing. Whole different story now.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,542,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I am completely amazed at the transformation. Its really incredible! This is my observation from the mid 80s when I briefly lived here and when my mom and I use to come out from DC to visit my brother. Anyone who thinks it hasn't improved is crazy. Also with crime at an all time low, greatly improved public transportation and a growing and vastly improved central core, all I can say is what an improved Los Angeles we have here.
I agree all good points...

One thing that is truly worse today as compared to then is the state of our local economy. Yes, it's pretty bad all over. But So.Calif. used to have a locomotive of an economy...rest of the country would go into a recession and you'd hardly feel it here. Not the case this time. Our Bay Area neighbors are doing much better. NYC is doing better. Used to be the opposite where LA was young and growing and NYC was old and tired.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:06 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,993,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post

One thing that is truly worse today as compared to then is the state of our local economy. Yes, it's pretty bad all over. But So.Calif. used to have a locomotive of an economy...rest of the country would go into a recession and you'd hardly feel it here. Not the case this time. Our Bay Area neighbors are doing much better. NYC is doing better. Used to be the opposite where LA was young and growing and NYC was old and tired.
One problem is all the regulation BS California puts on businesses. Not to mention the entitlement culture of the state. The businesses that left SoCal are gone for good and I don't ever see the region being the economic powerhouse that it was in the 70s and 80s.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,295,786 times
Even a discussion about cleanliness of the air we breath is an opportunity to bash governmental regulation. Oblivious to the fact regulation has helped clean the air.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 PM

457 posts, read 630,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
even a discussion about cleanliness of the air we breath is an opportunity to bash governmental regulation. Oblivious to the fact regulation has helped clean the air.
+100

Old 03-07-2012, 04:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,542,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
One problem is all the regulation BS California puts on businesses. Not to mention the entitlement culture of the state. The businesses that left SoCal are gone for good and I don't ever see the region being the economic powerhouse that it was in the 70s and 80s.
In the good old days (like the 1980's), the LA economy was propped up by "Big Government", the cold war aerospace/defense build up. It was somewhat of a mirage of good times as we eventually found out by the early 1990's...

Old 03-07-2012, 05:18 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,295,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
In the good old days (like the 1980's), the LA economy was propped up by "Big Government", the cold war aerospace/defense build up. It was somewhat of a mirage of good times as we eventually found out by the early 1990's...
The amount of local employment attributable to Federal government contracting was simply staggering during the cold war. And towards the end, at both the national and state level, we had already begun to hollow out our educational system and infrastructure because, instead of simply paying for it then, we thought it was better to borrow and spend to maintain the standard of living “to which we had been accustomed”. Instead of recognizing the subsequent reallocation of that military spending, or the massive arbitrage of labor pursuant to our new national trade policies, or the successive state-level impacts of Enron, the tech Bubble, and the housing bubble, the loudest criticisms are directed exclusively at our own state government. And brown people. In reality, the causes are multiple, and until we dump the ideological blinders and seek solutions to the global challenge we face, our employment levels are going to lag. Because even in good economic times, peoples’ desire to live here exceeded our sustainability. In the new global economy, our capacity for sustainable growth is simply no match for that desire.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,018,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Even a discussion about cleanliness of the air we breath is an opportunity to bash governmental regulation. Oblivious to the fact regulation has helped clean the air.
Yes yes yes.

If we allowed all the pollution in the world, had no environmental controls whatsoever, and had really good employment, then and only then would some people be happy.

The reduction in air pollution in Southern California is actually one of the success stories as it relates to government regulation and control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles