U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:05 PM

982 posts, read 1,384,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Most donuts at The Donut Man are average.

Some are famously awesome--especially when they are fresh and hot.

Basically, you can't get a bad donut at DM, and it's not unusual to see a line of people in the middle of the night. It's a very famous donut shop.

I like to ride my bicycle to DM at night. A lot of cyclists/riders do the same thing... cancelling their exercise with donuts.
Sounds to me worth the drive (although I'm not too far), I love driving through Route 66 (maybe muster courage later on to ride a bike, I kinda need to trim down some 1st...i know oxymoron totally), anyhow its just that theres a variety of shops, eateries, things to do out that way, have a friend near Sunflower...do you ever bicycle to the beaches or for that matter the IE?? I use to see lots of cyclists on hwy 38 near Redland/Mentone on their way to Big Bear I suppose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,172,988 times
agnt.starling...Sorry you lost your Mom..My Mom and I used to have fun too. We always stopped and had something in lunch counters when we went shopping. She might have coffee or hot tea and I had a chocolate malt or soda. Sometimes we ate lunch or had pie too...I thought I was "all that" when I got a summer job working in the lunch counter/cafe area of "W.T. Grants" in downtown Alhambra. Do you remember that store?...Downtown Alhambra used to be so nice! The downtown area in Montebello was "never much" compared to Alhambra...I remember the old "Crawford's" grocery store on Whittier Blvd. And (yum) "Winchell's" was off to the side...I spent a lot of time at "Atlantic Square" and the "Valley Shopping Center." (I think this was the name of it.)....There used to be a place called "Duffy's" on Valley Blvd. I think they had both indoor and outdoor seating...Every Weds. they sold their big bean and cheese burritos for only nineteen cents. My husband I "lived off" their burritos every week when we first got married and money was tight. (We had an apt. up in the hills behind Valley Blvd.) Do you remember "Duffy's?"....I remember eating at a Chinese restaurant a lot with my parents. I think it was on Garfield or around there. I don't remember "Baby Does" though...I remember "Rod's" with their famous sour cream dressing. I went to ELAC..Used to eat at a thai restaurant in the smaller center across from "Atlantic Square." Enough for now. This is exciting! Thanks!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM

genjy...Thanks for posting. I ate at "The Hat" near what used to be "Atlantic Square." Hope it's still there!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,976,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
Sounds to me worth the drive (although I'm not too far), I love driving through Route 66 (maybe muster courage later on to ride a bike, I kinda need to trim down some 1st...i know oxymoron totally), anyhow its just that theres a variety of shops, eateries, things to do out that way, have a friend near Sunflower...do you ever bicycle to the beaches or for that matter the IE?? I use to see lots of cyclists on hwy 38 near Redland/Mentone on their way to Big Bear I suppose?
A lot of cyclists in the north SGV bike to Seal Beach on a bike path along the San Gabriel River. It goes from the San Gabriel Mountains to the Pacific ocean. The stretch from Duarte to Seal Beach is about 35 miles one way.

I can do about 40 miles on the streets on a fixed-gear/track bike. 70 miles (round trip) on a dedicated bike path shouldn't be that much harder. My Glendora neighbor used to bike to Seal Beach all the time when he was younger... I am going to try it this summer.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
agnt.starling...Sorry you lost your Mom..My Mom and I used to have fun too. We always stopped and had something in lunch counters when we went shopping. She might have coffee or hot tea and I had a chocolate malt or soda. Sometimes we ate lunch or had pie too...I thought I was "all that" when I got a summer job working in the lunch counter/cafe area of "W.T. Grants" in downtown Alhambra. Do you remember that store?...Downtown Alhambra used to be so nice! The downtown area in Montebello was "never much" compared to Alhambra...I remember the old "Crawford's" grocery store on Whittier Blvd. And (yum) "Winchell's" was off to the side...I spent a lot of time at "Atlantic Square" and the "Valley Shopping Center." (I think this was the name of it.)....There used to be a place called "Duffy's" on Valley Blvd. I think they had both indoor and outdoor seating...Every Weds. they sold their big bean and cheese burritos for only nineteen cents. My husband I "lived off" their burritos every week when we first got married and money was tight. (We had an apt. up in the hills behind Valley Blvd.) Do you remember "Duffy's?"....I remember eating at a Chinese restaurant a lot with my parents. I think it was on Garfield or around there. I don't remember "Baby Does" though...I remember "Rod's" with their famous sour cream dressing. I went to ELAC..Used to eat at a thai restaurant in the smaller center across from "Atlantic Square." Enough for now. This is exciting! Thanks!
Wow CArizona, that brings back alot of memories....yes I remember W.T. Grants (barely) I was really young & I use to follow my sister everywhere she went out there (she lived w/my grandmother & also went to ELAC)
Crawfords & Duffy's I remember hearing about it..sister & father spoke of it....Alhambra Valley Shopping Center, yes I remember the old shopping center, today its still a shopping center, but w/many new stores & I don't know if its still called that today?? It has a big lots, staples, dollartree, susie's deals, an Asian Market I think its called Lucky Market (sign resembles the original Luckys that were around back then, but its not)...

Good times, Good times

Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
A lot of cyclists in the north SGV bike to Seal Beach on a bike path along the San Gabriel River. It goes from the San Gabriel Mountains to the Pacific ocean. The stretch from Duarte to Seal Beach is about 35 miles one way.

I can do about 40 miles on the streets on a fixed-gear/track bike. 70 miles (round trip) on a dedicated bike path shouldn't be that much harder. My Glendora neighbor used to bike to Seal Beach all the time when he was younger... I am going to try it this summer.
Excellent! Then you deserve those donuts from Donutman! Good choices in places to ride.....My father lives in the Whittier Estates Community Mobile Homes (I think I'm saying it right??) senior citizen complex and its backyard/golfcourse faces the riverbed alongside the 605 fwy (On Dunlap Crossing Road that leads to one of the entrances).....

Old 03-08-2012, 12:34 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,072,290 times
Quote:
Did anyone else grow up in the San Gabriel Valley area? (Especially during the 50's and 60's?)...I spent most of my childhood in Alhambra. Later my family moved to Montebello...What is the area like today? I haven't been back for quite a few years. Thanks!
It's all Asian and a few Hispanics. No whites. The ones that are there are either very old or crazy. It's not unusual to see entire strip malls and buildings covered in Chinese writing.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:13 AM

agnt.starling...Thanks for all your posts. Do you ever miss how things used to be versus how they are today?...It's hard for me to come back because things have changed so much. I end-up feeling like an "alien" and even "lost" at times when the things I remember aren't "there" anymore!...Is the "Quad" Shopping Center still there? How about the "Whittwood" Mall?...Thanks again for all your posts and info!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:26 AM

Jay100...Thanks for posting. Parts of So CA do seem like foreign countries. It's hard to see all the changes. I never expected things to change so much!

Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
agnt.starling...Thanks for all your posts. Do you ever miss how things used to be versus how they are today?...It's hard for me to come back because things have changed so much. I end-up feeling like an "alien" and even "lost" at times when the things I remember aren't "there" anymore!...Is the "Quad" Shopping Center still there? How about the "Whittwood" Mall?...Thanks again for all your posts and info!
Yes, I feel the same way you do! Also, my hubby grew up in East Los Angeles, but ofcourse knows Monterey Park/Alahambra well, since his oldest graduated from Mark Keppel HS...driving thru there brings back so many memories of how innocent time was, & driving thru it today just makes me get all sentimental & a little bit sad - as the saying goes, those very people, and those places of yesterday still exist in our hearts, the memory doesn't always fade...
(sorry, getting too "verklempt")

The Quad...I use to work at that very May Company! 85/86 (till they fired me

The old original Quad & mainly May Company's parking garage got damaged from the Quaker Earthquake in 87, so it got demolished, since it ws deemed unsafe & rebuilt a new shopping center in 1992, which Hinshaws is now (bottom) Burlington Coat Factory, upper level was Gold's Gym (I don't even think its there anymore), May Co became Orchards Home Improvement, which died quickly for lack of sales & then became Anna's Linens, Michaels & a Petco..Do you remember Lady Miriam's Plus size store?

The Old Whittwood mall..oh how they tried revamping (it was dead) it as an indoor mall from the 80's till the 90's, finally in the 2000's they tore it down & now its a outdoor shopping mall, w/Target, New 1 level Penneys, a Sears, and more (w/nice restaurants)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or