Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 PM

13 posts, read 23,140 times

Advertisements

The problem with schools now is that we keep all our older and elderly teachers in our school that it makes its harder or impossible to have new younger teachers in classrooms. The problem I see with that is that it makes it harder and harder for students to relate and in some cases respect those individual teachers. With younger teachers kids are more likely to listen and pay attention when they feel they can relate to an adult or educator. At this point then the student feels trustworthy and is interested in what that particular individual is saying or demonstrating.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:33 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I disagree. Are you a young teacher trying to get work somewhere? If so then I can see where your idea comes from ("get out of my way, I have student loans to pay!"). When it comes to teachers the issue NOW and forever is that some of then, young, old, whatever, are just not cut out for the job.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Looking back on my teachers, age wasn't a factor for earning my respect. There were good ones and bad ones from both older and younger. However, the one who earned no respect as well as my intense dislike to this day was young and in her first 5 years of teaching.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I disagree. Are you a young teacher trying to get work somewhere? If so then I can see where your idea comes from ("get out of my way, I have student loans to pay!"). When it comes to teachers the issue NOW and forever is that some of then, young, old, whatever, are just not cut out for the job.

Actually i am not a certified school teacher. So your assumption of my mind set is incorrect. I am assuming you are an older teacher by your bias stereotypical comment, correct? Its assumptions like these that make my statement true and valid. As to why children NOW do not relate with older teachers. They always think they know everything and hardly ever try to adapt or relate to current times. They only relate to their time not the childrens. However, I do agree with your last statement being that "some are just not cut out". If that is the case why do some become educators? For the Money? Because they like to influence and help shape young minds? If they are not cut out they should not teach. Its that simple.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:04 PM

Agreed there are good and bad ones. The good ones adapt with the time and children. Bad ones see things only their way and do not change their mindset...To me my labeling is not "good or bad teachers". It is "Teacher vs Instructor".
Teacher- someone who has taught you something you may have never knew or helped guide and influence ideas within oneself.
Instructor- someone who just points the finger and does not influence or inflict thought. They simply instruct you what to do and then offer no guidance just but expect correct outcome.

So good or bad are wrong words to use to me. Because i have had bad teachers that i have learned a lot from. Just their approach may have been wrong or misinterpreted..

Old 09-09-2012, 06:39 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmedina13 View Post
Actually i am not a certified school teacher. So your assumption of my mind set is incorrect. I am assuming you are an older teacher by your bias stereotypical comment, correct? Its assumptions like these that make my statement true and valid. As to why children NOW do not relate with older teachers. They always think they know everything and hardly ever try to adapt or relate to current times. They only relate to their time not the childrens. However, I do agree with your last statement being that "some are just not cut out". If that is the case why do some become educators? For the Money? Because they like to influence and help shape young minds? If they are not cut out they should not teach. Its that simple.
No, you assume wrong too but you sound a bit bratty. Children relate to people who are relatable, not people who are young. Get real. And people go into professions for a variety of reasons you will never know. That's why there are bad workers in all industries.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:40 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,289 times
Quote:
The problem with schools now is that we keep all our older and elderly teachers in our school that it makes its harder or impossible to have new younger teachers in classrooms. The problem I see with that is that it makes it harder and harder for students to relate and in some cases respect those individual teachers. With younger teachers kids are more likely to listen and pay attention when they feel they can relate to an adult or educator. At this point then the student feels trustworthy and is interested in what that particular individual is saying or demonstrating.
I have been teaching for 23 years. My students respect me because I know my subject matter, I treat them with respect, I DO NOT seek their friendship or approval, I DON'T waste class time discussing irrelevant personal or social topics, I set clear and fair boundaries and I TEACH them. Parents commend me continuously for my understanding of children, my professionalism, my dedication and my experience. While there are some good new teachers, a good 50% give up within the first 3 years, and the rest struggle, as we all did, until they gain the NECESSARY EXPERIENCE to settle down and teach with confidence.
While it may be popular to say that "new" teachers are better, this is just a result of the propaganda by the greedy individuals seeking to privatize education and cut labor costs. As in any profession, experience is the foundation upon which innovation is built. Without a real understanding of the fundamentals of any profession, trying to institute changes is just blind guesswork.
As a matter of fact, "older" and more experienced teachers, as a group, tend to have significantly fewer disciplinary issues in their classrooms. They also have a wider range of well developed techniques to draw upon to help their students achieve academically.
Before I was a teacher I spent a number of years as an engineer. It would have been ludicrous for anyone to suggest that the "older" engineers had no value because they had "been around too long". It is a sad comment on our society that this silly idea that experience in teaching has no value has taken hold. It is merely evidence of the gullibility and susceptibility to suggestion of our society.
I, for one, truly hope that our "older" doctors, scientists, mathematicians, writers, actors, directors, musicians, artists, and yes, even our teachers, stick around for a good long time.
I look forward to the day I am able to take my experience and share it with the good folks in the LAUSD. I also look forward to learning from them.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:45 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,289 times
Quote:
Agreed there are good and bad ones. The good ones adapt with the time and children. Bad ones see things only their way and do not change their mindset...To me my labeling is not "good or bad teachers". It is "Teacher vs Instructor".
Teacher- someone who has taught you something you may have never knew or helped guide and influence ideas within oneself.
Instructor- someone who just points the finger and does not influence or inflict thought. They simply instruct you what to do and then offer no guidance just but expect correct outcome.

So good or bad are wrong words to use to me. Because i have had bad teachers that i have learned a lot from. Just their approach may have been wrong or misinterpreted..

1) Children haven't changed THAT much. It's actually quite surprising how consistent they are over the years and decades.
2) .. you may have never known...
3) inflict thought? That sounds downright painful.
4) ... just expect...
5) ... with me.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
I don't think older teachers per se are the problem. Many are great and respected, more experienced. But I get your resentment toward the boomer and older generations these days. They stay in their jobs forever (this goes far beyond the teaching field) and thus there is no room for the younger generations to get jobs, which worsens our economic crisis and contributes to the extremely high youth unemployment rate.

But going back to your original topic, I think you should say the problem is older tenured teachers who put in a few years and are virtually impossible to fire. Their offenses range from simple laziness to pedophilia, and that in itself is a huge issue particularly at LAUSD. Once you're guaranteed your job short of murder, you don't want to do as good a job.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:59 PM

Lightbulb Read some books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No, you assume wrong too but you sound a bit bratty. Children relate to people who are relatable, not people who are young. Get real. And people go into professions for a variety of reasons you will never know. That's why there are bad workers in all industries.
i made a bold statement on a topic in which i have a opinion about and now you say i sound bratty. to me u sound a little bitchy but you are also entitled to your opinion and i didnt try to take it away from you as you tried with mine. and i never said that all those particular teachers were not relate-able. i simply said they take up space for new fresh innovative and articulate up to date teachers to begin their road to help shape young minds. also i never stated that they only relate to them because they are young. so if you read my "statement" without your prejudice. you may not have had to get all worked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: