U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,176,988 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else grow up in the San Gabriel Valley area? (Especially during the 50's and 60's?)...I spent most of my childhood in Alhambra. Later my family moved to Montebello...What is the area like today? I haven't been back for quite a few years. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,978,665 times
Alhambra: Mainly Chinese. Some wealth in the area, but the houses and the streets don't make that obvious. Some mid-century houses are being torn down for tacky McMansions.

Montebello: Mainly Hispanic. Some good areas and some sketchy areas. The Montebello Mall seems to be going down hill because there are much better malls in the region (Arcadia, West Covina, Brea).

Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM

982 posts, read 1,385,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Did anyone else grow up in the San Gabriel Valley area? (Especially during the 50's and 60's?)...I spent most of my childhood in Alhambra. Later my family moved to Montebello...What is the area like today? I haven't been back for quite a few years. Thanks!
Yes, have to agree w/Genjy on both statements....Alhambra is mostly Asian, although I worked w/attorneys, most of them being White-Jewish, Hispanic that have some very nice homes out there. And the area is filled w/lots of nice restaurants, bars/lounges, a theatre, shopping, etc..(although Monterey Park's recent development of the Atlantic Times Square - consisting of residential, retail, dining & entertainment & located by the 10 fwy - not too far from Alhambra city limits, might have gained more popularity in the recent couple of years over Alhambra....but the homes still are much nicer than MP. And also since Alhambra neighbors Pasadena (or South Pas?) yes the shops are really something else...(NICE!)

Montebello? Yeah there are some really nice homes there - however pocketed in parts, while the other parts are ok or just flat out ghetto (some of Whittier Blvd??), & the Mall has since gone downhill, although some really nice choice stores (Coach to name one), some decent restaurants, however seems like most people are stuck on the people that go there, because the mall itself & the surrounding area's not that bad or at all, but its always been said that its ghetto or too effffn crowded-that I agree with, especially w/the teenagers that roam Fridays to Sundays.......

But to get back on track to your inquiry, Montebello's changed since my young days, its prodominantly hispanic, but there are some asian families, but also holds strong are the Armenian families as well (w/the recent monument built - Armenian Genocide Martyrs). The businesses have come and go, although Grant Rea Park w/its Barnyard zoo still holds, the Montebello buslines (aside routes in Montebello) go to the City of Whittier to DTLA (Rapid Trans Auth, now MTA doesn't anymore), they have an Alondra Wings restaurant that seems to be popular, the ever changing Prime Cut Restaurant (has changed into many restuarants/bar lounges since, I forget what it is now?), Montebello Inn, last I heard is no more, but something else now??, the old French Restuarant - Marcel and Jeanne's French Cafe on Whittier Blvd got demolished in 2007), GarMar Theater now a mini-mall, Montebello Car Wash is still there, the old banquet/dancehall on 10th/Whittier-Terraza Jamay is still standing, my kid told me she went to a SKAnol concert there 3 yrs ago...lol (spanish ska)....wowsers time has flown!

In short (I know FINALLY!!!)......I don't think its gotten any worse, its just Montebello, but thats my opinion & everyone begs to differ......

Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks for your posts and all the information! Is "Garduno's" still there? (In Montebello by the high school?) I got hooked on their soft tacos in the morning before my first period class...What is "Uptown Whittier" like today? Is it still thriving? How about the "Montebello Mart?"...Is "Temptations" (ice cream and candy store) still located on Valley Blvd.? I guess "The Hat" has many different locations today. They grew big and expanded!...Anyway thanks again for all the info! Really appreciate it!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your posts and all the information! Is "Garduno's" still there? (In Montebello by the high school?) I got hooked on their soft tacos in the morning before my first period class...What is "Uptown Whittier" like today? Is it still thriving? How about the "Montebello Mart?"...Is "Temptations" (ice cream and candy store) still located on Valley Blvd.? I guess "The Hat" has many different locations today. They grew big and expanded!...Anyway thanks again for all the info! Really appreciate it!
You betcha! Garduno's (how could I forget??) is still there, yep their food is still just as good, besides the tacos, burritos, chil fries, I love those Mexican hot dogs (Deep Fried Hot dog wrapped in Tortilla w/Guacamole)

I grew up in Whittier, its thriving all right, I have a teenage-ero & a 20yr old that love going there..its is the hot spot for the kiddos & families, college students, young people, hipsters, artsy's are attracted to the wide variety of eateries, the theater (that use to be a XXX theater back in the early days..lol), bars/lounges, boutiques & vintage shops to name a few & they have the car shows, faires, parades, I think they still have the weekly Uptown Family Festival in the warmer months (??)...

Yep Montebello Marts still there....Temptations Ice Cream Parlor/Candy store is no more .........But the Hat still is & yes they are spread out evenly..not too many saturating, thank god! (mm mm Pastrami!)..

Yes friend, the area(s) in the San Gabriel Valley have really changed!

Question, do you remember Sir Georges Smorgasbord on Las Tunas? (I think its city of Arcadia), sadly just short a few years now had closed

Old 03-07-2012, 12:53 PM

agnt.starling...Thanks for your posts! It's fun to "go back home" again. (At least through posts!)...I remember "Sir George's" really well! For awhile I lived nearby the buffet. (South of Huntington Drive in Temple City.) Sad that it closed. Is "Smorgy's" still open in Monterey Park on the hill?...How about "Jack's" restaurants? (I hope I have the name right.) One of their restaurants used to have car-hop service...I never tried a Mexican hot dog but it sounds yummy! I miss the pastrami's at "The Hat." Nobody has good pastrami's where I live. They are all skimpy and "neat!" (Not big and sprawling and messy like the kind I used to eat at "The Hat!")...I lived in cities in San Gabriel Valley up until 1980 or so. Then I moved down to Huntington Beach. And later I moved to North San Diego County and finally out here to Arizona...I used to go back and visit my parents in Montebello until they both passed away...We went out and got food from "Garduno's" for "old time's sake" the night my Mom passed away. (Hoping that it would cheer us up a bit and it helped.)... Have you ever been in a leather shop on Main Street in Alhambra? My friend used to own it. Need to look him up soon...Oh is "Chris 'n Pitts" still open? Thanks for going down "memory lane" with me!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM

There are quite a few The Hats in SGV.

I used to live near the one in Temple City on Rosemead Blvd. Now I live within walking/biking distance of the one in Glendora on Route 66.

The Alhambra one is always packed.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
agnt.starling...Thanks for your posts! It's fun to "go back home" again. (At least through posts!)...I remember "Sir George's" really well! For awhile I lived nearby the buffet. (South of Huntington Drive in Temple City.) Sad that it closed. Is "Smorgy's" still open in Monterey Park on the hill?...How about "Jack's" restaurants? (I hope I have the name right.) One of their restaurants used to have car-hop service...I never tried a Mexican hot dog but it sounds yummy! I miss the pastrami's at "The Hat." Nobody has good pastrami's where I live. They are all skimpy and "neat!" (Not big and sprawling and messy like the kind I used to eat at "The Hat!")...I lived in cities in San Gabriel Valley up until 1980 or so. Then I moved down to Huntington Beach. And later I moved to North San Diego County and finally out here to Arizona...I used to go back and visit my parents in Montebello until they both passed away...We went out and got food from "Garduno's" for "old time's sake" the night my Mom passed away. (Hoping that it would cheer us up a bit and it helped.)... Have you ever been in a leather shop on Main Street in Alhambra? My friend used to own it. Need to look him up soon...Oh is "Chris 'n Pitts" still open? Thanks for going down "memory lane" with me!
Smorgy's (I barely remember that, my sister use to love going there) yea thats long gone Remember they had Baby Does Restaurant (which was actually a club)...long gone, its called Monterey Hill now, & Luminarias is still hanging by a thread..

I know what you mean about pastrami, I had lived in Indiana for 3 years a long time ago & was having major withdrawals from not finding any pastrami out there (back then?) as well as any mexican food (Chi-Chi's Restaurant, equavilent to El Torito/Acapulco's)....& the tortilla's where in the freezer/refrigerated section alongside cheese & sandwich meats, not a good thing for someone who grew up in California eating everwhere....sorry about your parents, exception of father still around (he remarried, wife doesn't like me..)
Mom's passed away almost 20 yrs now, & all of the above we've mentioned was done w/her, she loved this Chinese Restaurant on Whittier blvd, on Garfield (correct me if I'm wrong or off????) I don't even know if it still exists, but we'd go there cuz of her, she also loved the Original Atlantic Square, w/the shops, now its mostly made up of fast food, Ralphs, 2 major drugstores, & variety of little stores, too many too name, but it caters mostly to the college students from ELAC.....

Jacks is still around, still has that old dinner look (& not like carhop look like Denny's has) but more like the place most people take their parents or grandparents too....I still love going to it!

No I'm sorry I don't remember the leather shop, I was there often, spent most of my child in Alhambra/Monterey P, since grandmother use to live there many years ago....probably walked right by it often, my dad love the theaters out there....Chris & pitts, oh yea...still alive & kicking, both of them, (one loc in Downey) but Whittier's is the more congested one (& I lived within walking distance....if u remember Douglas Burgers? The Stein/or Embers? Winchells? Cat patch...(LOL!!!!!!!).....the stories my father told me...not good picture in my mind....not good he told me

cheers! ur it...

Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
There are quite a few The Hats in SGV.

I used to live near the one in Temple City on Rosemead Blvd. Now I live within walking/biking distance of the one in Glendora on Route 66.

The Alhambra one is always packed.
Genjy, you being near Route 66, do you go to the Donut Man? I heard they are the best donuts anywhere around?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
Genjy, you being near Route 66, do you go to the Donut Man? I heard they are the best donuts anywhere around?
Most donuts at The Donut Man are average.

Some are famously awesome--especially when they are fresh and hot.

Basically, you can't get a bad donut at DM, and it's not unusual to see a line of people in the middle of the night. It's a very famous donut shop.

I like to ride my bicycle to DM at night. A lot of cyclists/riders do the same thing... cancelling their exercise with donuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or