U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:24 PM

22 posts, read 45,458 times

Advertisements

Where would it fall academically between the UCs and the CSUs, for example? I'm having a hard time figuring out how the school is perceived. I know it's selective, but that's really only because they get so many applicants. I'm currently at the University of Wisconsin, so I'm not sure how much my chances at getting a job out of college will go down if I transfer. Opinions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:50 PM

1,362 posts, read 2,845,666 times
IMO U Wisconsin > Pepperdine. Personally I put Pepperdine below the UCI/UCSD schools, but above the "low end" UCs; it's better than CSUs. But not better than U Wisc in my view.

Obviously it's somewhat dependent on what you are studying, but I think overall that's how the universities are relative to each other.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,518,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
IMO U Wisconsin > Pepperdine. Personally I put Pepperdine below the UCI/UCSD schools, but above the "low end" UCs; it's better than CSUs. But not better than U Wisc in my view.

Obviously it's somewhat dependent on what you are studying, but I think overall that's how the universities are relative to each other.
I'd almost put it on par with SOME CSUs and the 2 Cal Polys. I'm sure that, being private, it makes for better personal attention and a better alumni network. Why not go to USC then, if trying to transfer out of U Wisconsin? While it's not in a great neighborhood (it ain't Malibu), it's a great "union card."

Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 PM

It's a money issue. Pepperdine gives really generous scholarships. USC was my first choice originally.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 PM

120 posts, read 408,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilieee7780 View Post
Where would it fall academically between the UCs and the CSUs, for example? I'm having a hard time figuring out how the school is perceived. I know it's selective, but that's really only because they get so many applicants. I'm currently at the University of Wisconsin, so I'm not sure how much my chances at getting a job out of college will go down if I transfer. Opinions? Thanks!
1. all the UCs
2. CSU Long Beach, SD State, Cal Polys
3. Pepperdine
4. Rest of the Cal States schools

Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 AM

I'm kinda surprised about it being on par with some of the CSUs. I expected it to be somewhere close to there, I guess, but the average high school GPA and ACT scores are quite a bit higher for Pepperdine. How would you compare it to someplace like Loyola Marymount?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM

16 posts, read 44,518 times
It's also really religious, from the standpoint of lots of Calif. conservative kids (ie newer churches that are not traditional) that enroll. Lots of moneyed Texans and Calif. kids whose parents want them to marry kids of similar beliefs. If you look at it on college ranking websites that cover this sort of thing, you'll see that. Look for an overall fit, if you are transferring I am assuming you aren't happy with your current experience and you'll want to be satisfied this time around.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 AM

2,581 posts, read 3,141,406 times
I can't imagine a more different University then U of Wisconsin (assuming you're at Madison?), and it is hard for me to imagine why you would transfer to a such a lesser school. Perhaps you are heading into the entertainment industry, and are hoping being in LA will help with longer term job prospects. I guess I could see that. The competition will be fierce, but you know that.

It is a big step down for you academically. I agree with the above poster that it is filled with very wealthy students of more conservative backgrounds - if that is the environment you are looking for. As you are suggesting $$ is an issue for not choosing USC (a better option), somehow I sense you might feel like you don't quite fit in at Pepperdine. But I certainly understand the appeal of scholarships.

So beautiful though..

Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,977,616 times
My cousin went to Pepperdine. He isn't the most academically-inclined person around, but he got in because my aunt and uncle had the money to pay for his tuition.

Even my cousin agrees that Pepperdine is full of rich kids. Pepperdine doesn't really have the same academic prestige as USC, which is a comparable private school.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
i think the problem with pepperdine is how small it is. the alumni network for pepperdine grads is nowhere near the level of the UCs or CSUs, especially in their local markets. for example, CSUN isn't really a prestigious schools, but the alumni network in the LA area is huge because they graduate so many more students, many of which are bound to be successful and open to hiring other CSUN grads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or