U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 AM

76 posts, read 132,867 times

Advertisements

Currently house hunting (rental) within decent Commute of Santa Monica, hoping to get a 3bed singl storey house for under $3500

Found one on Appleton way in mar vista which we love but the area seems very suburban and residential, nothing of interest in walk able distance. Viewing a few places in Venice too and keep hearing you have to be careful which parts of Venice - any advice on Venice pockets to avoid to go for?

Young family with two very small children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
if i had kids and chose to live in venice i'd live east of lincoln or south of venice blvd. venice can be a bit seedy, but it's generally pretty safe from my experiences. i think property theft would be your biggest concern. don't leave anything out in the open that isn't locked down (especially bicycles). otherwise, the gangs and drug dealers are easy to avoid.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,115,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loysleavelondon View Post
Found one on Appleton way in mar vista which we love but the area seems very suburban and residential, nothing of interest in walk able distance.
My parents are currently visiting me and renting a house about 3-4 blocks south of that area. I don't really understand your complaint. Maybe it's not a 5 minute walk to shops and restaurants but certainly a walkable area and a 5 minute bike ride to the beach. There are some houses walking distance to Abbot Kinney, Main St in Santa Monica, and the beach but I imagine they are quite a bit more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if i had kids and chose to live in venice i'd live east of lincoln or south of venice blvd.
There seem to be some pretty nice houses between Abbot Kinney blvd and Lincoln and the area feels safe.

Last edited by Dunbar42; 03-08-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM

13,349 posts, read 16,509,989 times
Quote:
if i had kids and chose to live in venice i'd live east of lincoln or south of venice blvd.
I grew up in the area ... north of Venice Blvd IMHO is better than south of Venice.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loysleavelondon View Post
Currently house hunting (rental) within decent Commute of Santa Monica, hoping to get a 3bed singl storey house for under $3500

Found one on Appleton way in mar vista which we love but the area seems very suburban and residential, nothing of interest in walk able distance.
Appleton Way is in a nice quiet residential area behind the elementary school I went to. You'll learn to appreciate quietness in LA. You are within a 5-min drive to shopping areas and the beach (straight down Rose Ave).

Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I grew up in the area ... north of Venice Blvd IMHO is better than south of Venice.
i moved from the area last summer, but i saw lots of families (at least for LA standards) in the area around washington blvd and the canals. north of venice blvd and abbot kinney is the oakwood rec center, all the section 8 buildings, and Brooks and Broadway where the drug dealers sell from street corners. south of venice also houses coeur d'alene elemenary school, which is one of the better rated public schools on the westside.

the northern part of venice may be more happenning, but i wouldn't say it's more family friendly.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
i moved from the area last summer, but i saw lots of families (at least for LA standards) in the area around washington blvd and the canals. north of venice blvd and abbot kinney is the oakwood rec center, all the section 8 buildings, and Brooks and Broadway where the drug dealers sell from street corners. south of venice also houses coeur d'alene elemenary school, which is one of the better rated public schools on the westside.

the northern part of venice may be more happenning, but i wouldn't say it's more family friendly.
I meant east of Lincoln and north of Venice -- not just north venice.
I played ball against the kids at the Oakwood Rec Center when I was growing up -- the Shoreline Crips were out in full force then.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I meant east of Lincoln and north of Venice -- not just north venice.
i think we're on the same page then. the neighborhood between penmar and walgrove from venice blvd to the SM border is a great area with lots of great homes that are well taken care of.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM

76 posts, read 132,867 times
Really useful, thanks.

Saw a place today on San miguel (well its officially broadway street) just west of Lincoln, it was huge but the area I just couldn't tell what it was like in the middle of the day, anyone know it?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 PM

i wouldn't live there with a family. the ralph's grocery store across the street is probably the only market i've ever been to that has security 24 hours a day. needless to say, it's pretty crummy. a lot of homeless hang around there as well. just down the street is the oakwood rec center, which has apparently improved greatly in recent years, but has quite a history. i'm sure you can read about it on these boards. also, down on 7th ave. is the main spot where crack dealers sell their goods. i'm not making this up either, i've been offered crack there before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles