U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:53 AM

275 posts, read 775,400 times

Advertisements

New Yorker who grew up half-a-block from the subway. Unfortunately I don't have a driver's license
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,563,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
New Yorker who grew up half-a-block from the subway. Unfortunately I don't have a driver's license
That changes a lot - you cannot rent a car.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:42 AM

12,825 posts, read 19,270,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

The biggest step for most in LA is actually getting onto the bus - from there you will find out that LA has the best or second best bus service in the nation (It absolutely destroys Boston's service, the last city I lived in).
I think it is the best.

Now, contrast with its polar opposite, SF Muni!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM

12,825 posts, read 19,270,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I'd start off seeing the places that are well served by transit and where parking sucks, which are all near the city center. Places like downtown, Hollywood, and then maybe Pasadena, Koreatown, and even Boyle Heights if you want to do the Mexican food thing.

When you are done with that, I'd rent a car to see the farther places: Venice Beach, the Getty, Santa Monica, etc. The beach and the westside are not as well served by the bus systems.
A highly time efficient and cost effective plan - especially prices at the pump being what they are!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
A highly time efficient and cost effective plan - especially prices at the pump being what they are!
It'll be interesting to see if ridership numbers go up with gas going through the roof.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 AM

275 posts, read 775,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I think it is the best.

Now, contrast with its polar opposite, SF Muni!
So any semblance of a bus schedule is useless as the bus arrives at whatever time it likes?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
So any semblance of a bus schedule is useless as the bus arrives at whatever time it likes?
I think one time I had an issue with a late bus. And ur was probably,my fault for looking ay the schedule wrong.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,841,726 times
Agree with many: you can see ALOT of the city taking buses and trains. And if you ask me, you get much more of a feel of the place if you do it that way.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 AM

134 posts, read 417,428 times
Quote:
El_Mero_Mero the reason I think many of us suggested you rent a car is because of how vast LA is. Personally I've used transit systems in various places and LA's system doesn't match up to its being a world class city. ( reasons why can be seen/discussed here: METRO Subway and what it could have been? )

LA Metro, while its improving here and there, doesn't compete with NYC Subway which you're used to. Posters just want to help you make the most of your visit by making suggestions and giving you a heads up on certain realities.

That being said, I hope you really enjoy your visit and may all your transfers be on time.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:45 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,335,926 times
MTA Los angeles is quite extensive and faster than you would think. There is a bus line on almost every major street in this mostly square grid city. I think it was 15 years ago, they introduced the rapid buses which quickly sped up one's commute. In addition, the subway and light rails allowed faster a commute to many points of interest. When I was a student, I use to carry around a dozen folded bus timetable for all the buses and alternate buses I used. Many bus stops just have a bus number telling it's end destination, but there aren't maps. Newer buses will say your stop or flash the oncoming stop, but older buses sometimes do neither. I remember seeing someone who didn't know the bus route and later asked the driver where their particular stop was; it was 5 stops back. Know where you are going and plan well. A smartphone are very handy these days, and there is site or app you can use to tell when your next bus is. Good luck and avoid rush hour on long distances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles