U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 02:11 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,577,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
MTA Los angeles is quite extensive and faster than you would think. There is a bus line on almost every major street in this mostly square grid city. I think it was 15 years ago, they introduced the rapid buses which quickly sped up one's commute. In addition, the subway and light rails allowed faster a commute to many points of interest. When I was a student, I use to carry around a dozen folded bus timetable for all the buses and alternate buses I used. Many bus stops just have a bus number telling it's end destination, but there aren't maps. Newer buses will say your stop or flash the oncoming stop, but older buses sometimes do neither. I remember seeing someone who didn't know the bus route and later asked the driver where their particular stop was; it was 5 stops back. Know where you are going and plan well. A smartphone are very handy these days, and there is site or app you can use to tell when your next bus is. Good luck and avoid rush hour on long distances.
Most buses I have been on has a monitor that display a Google map of the route. Sometimes they are playing Transit TV and don't have the map up, but other than that there is usually a map. Very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 02:55 PM

275 posts, read 776,556 times
I thank all of you and I'm reminded of the saying "great success comes from simple preparation"

Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,291,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Most buses I have been on has a monitor that display a Google map of the route. Sometimes they are playing Transit TV and don't have the map up, but other than that there is usually a map. Very helpful.
Must be nice having a real bus system.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 PM

397 posts, read 776,893 times
ALWAYS use the rapid buses when you can.

ALWAYS use rail when you can.

The normal Metro buses are fine but slower. I've had instances of the bus not stopping where it should or skipping stops. Metro is always messing with the routes and pissing me off. Rapid and Rail are always consistent.

Also there is the LA Metro bus system but there are also other bus systems. The Westside, for example, has the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus to go along with the Metro buses. The BBB I prefer to the Metro buses. There is also the DASH buses which are cheaper but not as nice and just a worse experience all around. I've only used the Dash to get to the Fashion District. Most of the Dash routes don't even run on weekends. SGV has the foot hills transit and there are other bus services for certain areas.

Metro uses a Tap card which they've tried to integrate with the other bus systems. It hasn't been successfully integrated so be careful of that nonsense. Some lines offer free transfer to Metro.

There is also Metrolink which is commuter rail. It's very expensive and only good if you are a commuter or you have a day trip planned to place far from the city core.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,300,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
New Yorker who grew up half-a-block from the subway. Unfortunately I don't have a driver's license
That doesn't stop half of our drivers.

The bus system works fine.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,583,321 times
You're better off renting a car. The Metro buses are too crowded and it takes a while to wait for one. If it's crowded, most likely it will pass by.

And the bus fair is over $1.25 last time I checked.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:12 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,300,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
You're better off renting a car. The Metro buses are too crowded and it takes a while to wait for one. If it's crowded, most likely it will pass by.

He didn't ask about "car vs bus". He doesn't even have a drivers license.

Maybe our "car or stay home" stereotype is deserved, after all.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 AM

29,125 posts, read 21,154,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That doesn't stop half of our drivers.
If One Bill Gil gets his way that will change. California assemblyman to try again on driver's licenses for illegal immigrants - San Jose Mercury News

Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,577,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post

It's a 1.50 for a ride, five bucks for a day pass. At this point the cost of a gallon of gas is almost as much as an entire day of transit access. I don't see how a car is more economical at all.

And a bus has passed me by because it was full one time in the year and a half I have lived here. The next bus was five minutes away. Are you sure it wasn't a Rapid Bus and you were waiting for the local service?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 AM

30,368 posts, read 31,235,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post

Also there is the LA Metro bus system but there are also other bus systems. The Westside, for example, has the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus to go along with the Metro buses. The BBB I prefer to the Metro buses. There is also the DASH buses which are cheaper but not as nice and just a worse experience all around. I've only used the Dash to get to the Fashion District. Most of the Dash routes don't even run on weekends. SGV has the foot hills transit and there are other bus services for certain areas.
Aren't the DASH buses cheaper than the Metro buses? Can one use the Metro TAP card on the DASH buses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles