Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM

890 posts, read 2,784,751 times

Advertisements

Quit procrastinating and show up in court.
You want to be treated like an adult, so you must face the consequences of your own actions.
Maybe the judge would be lenient and give you a small slap on the hands.
Or maybe a bit tougher and give you some verbal lashing.
I doubt jail time though if you show up in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 05:04 AM

237 posts, read 668,580 times
Dude, you do NOT want to spend even 10 seconds in the LA County Jail. You have no idea what awaits you in there.

Most likely: if the judge sees this is your FIRST (and ONLY) offense of fare evasion, he/she will be merciful, along with your contrite explanation in your best clothes and pretty, innocent, boy appearance, that you really forgot about it and when it popped up you made every effort to make it right. The fact that you are there ON YOUR OWN, will count for you. I really do think you will probably get a quick lecture and a very reduced fine. It is the "fare beaters" more than ONCE caught without proper proof of fare, that the MTA and courts really despise, and they get the big fines. They expect to NEVER see you in their court again, and hope you've learned your lesson.

Before the economic downturn, I friend of mine got caught without proof of fare, but he really did buy a ticket but lost it. I know because I was with him and told him to put the ticket in his pocket or he was gonna lose it. Yeah, yeah, he said. Well he lost it and the LAPD (they were doing security then) gave him a citation. Only he took care of it right away. He had to go down the first time and wait and be told the next step was to return on a specific day for his court hearing. Later, when he arrived for the court hearing, he waited from the early morning until about lunch time when the City Attorney (one of the deputy prosecutors) met with him outside the courtroom and asked him what happened, saw it was a first offense and saw the kid was NOT your typical "fare beater" sort of fellow. The prosecutor said, "Fine. I'm not going to press charges. You can go home." That was then. What is it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles