U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 PM

41 posts, read 84,143 times

Advertisements

Ok so long story short, I received a ticket back in July for not having proof of fare payment on the metro red line, i moved two weeks later, and forgot all about it. At the end of december I get pulled over for making an illegal U-Turn in Agoura Hills, the officer was super nice and didn't give me a ticket, then he tells me that I have a warrant out for my arrest for not paying a ticket, I completely forgot all about that ticket so he just gave me another court date for Feb and told me I can just pay it before then online and not have to go to court. Well I went online week after week and when I put in my DL# it didn't pull anything up. A friend of mine told me that that means that the officer probably forgot to put it in the system, so I was like awesome! Then yesterday I get a letter in the mail with a bail amount of $5300!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm assuming that it is related to me not going to the court date, which is completely my fault, but still $5000??!?!?!?!! So now i'm freaking out. I plan on calling the court on monday and trying to get another court date, and beg and plead my way out of the huge fine when that day comes. My question is: Has anyone else every received a bail amount for that much??? And if so what did they reduce it too? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 07:00 PM

4,763 posts, read 6,922,203 times
I can't offer any help in the "similar situation" catigory, but I think I am right when I say you have a better chance of marrying the pope than you do of getting the amount reduced.
The reason being, Los Angeles, as we all know, is strapped for money, and have come up with all kinds of ways of getting it, short of city council members actively going out on the streets begging.
You are one of many who now must surrender to the financial mess this city is in.
Buck up and face it, there is no alternative, and while I am at it, the next time you are on the metro, make sure you pay before hopping on it.
That turned out to be one very expensive train ride, and they didn't even serve you dinner.
Bob.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:45 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,635,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimisticStudent View Post
I plan on calling the court on monday
Which you should have done before Feb rather than listen to your friend...

Old 03-10-2012, 08:32 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,033,443 times
Unlike a traffic ticket where most times you don't have to appear and paying the ticket amount is fine, the metro system doesn't do that.

You MUST appear. The messed up part about what you did is that sometimes the judge will fine you something less than the $200 fine. Had you attended, the max you would have paid is $200. If this is still what it is, I don't know as I don't jump the turnstiles. I pay the fare.

Like seriously, compared to NYC, it's NOTHING. Literally. Your weekly change jar has enough for the week here.

Now look at you. You'll have to arrange a payment arrangement with the court now.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:59 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,329,136 times
Don't do the crime if can't do the fine. beep bob beep bob

Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,447,233 times
Quote:
Ok so long story short, I received a ticket back in July for not having proof of fare payment on the metro red line, i moved two weeks later, and forgot all about it. At the end of december I get pulled over for making an illegal U-Turn in Agoura Hills, the officer was super nice and didn't give me a ticket, then he tells me that I have a warrant out for my arrest for not paying a ticket, I completely forgot all about that ticket so he just gave me another court date for Feb and told me I can just pay it before then online and not have to go to court. Well I went online week after week and when I put in my DL# it didn't pull anything up. A friend of mine told me that that means that the officer probably forgot to put it in the system, so I was like awesome! Then yesterday I get a letter in the mail with a bail amount of $5300!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm assuming that it is related to me not going to the court date, which is completely my fault, but still $5000??!?!?!?!! So now i'm freaking out. I plan on calling the court on monday and trying to get another court date, and beg and plead my way out of the huge fine when that day comes. My question is: Has anyone else every received a bail amount for that much??? And if so what did they reduce it too? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
When I was 19 I was busted by the CHP for doing 105 mph in a 65 mph zone, and the bail was $1,000. However, driving back up to the Fresno area and appearing in court, I got it reduced to $500 and my mom paid it at the counter, because at the time my mom made six figures a year, so $500 was just pocket money to her, and the court was like, "Whoah, you want to pay it all in a single payment?", and we were like, "Yep, we're from the big city and we have more money than you country yokels will ever see in your little lives." That was a cool day.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 PM

614 posts, read 1,197,803 times
I was in court this past week because I was in a somewhat similar situation. I received a window tint ticket a while back which I completely forgot about. I received a notice in the mail telling me I had a failure to appear on my record and my license was on hold. A $25 fix-it ticket snowballed into a $900 bail amount.

I went online and I had the option of paying the fine at a reduced fine of $600, deducting $300 from the original fine if I paid in full within 10 days of the notice or to set up a new court date for an arraignment. After 10 days, it would be handed over to collections agency for the full $900 and you definitely do not want that happening! I took my chances and set up a new court date.

Walked out of the court paying $70 total. The judge pretty much reduced the fines of everyone in the courtroom for a failure to appear. A second failure to appear is a whole different story! I recommend you setting up an appointment to go to court immediately or as soon as possible. Don't let it snowball any further. Get it taken care of asap!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 AM

41 posts, read 84,143 times
Yikes!! So i went to Central Arrainment Court yesterday, almost positive that there were going to arrest me on the spot. But it was actually pretty easy. I went to the clerk and he gave me a paper saying that I did appear at court regarding this matter and told me to come back any day befroe 8:30 and I'll get to see a judge and that more than likely he'll reduce it down to the original amount or maybe a little more...i'll be happy with anything less than $1000 honestly. One of my friends is suggesting I just take the jail time..which I might consider depending on how many days the sentence would be for against what the judge reduces my fee too..a coworker of mine got 3days in jail due to a speeding ticket she refused to pay..but only served 2 hours lol. I don't know if i could handle jail or not though..i'm waaaay to cute for that hahaha

Old 03-16-2012, 11:40 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,033,443 times
Quote:
Yikes!! So i went to Central Arrainment Court yesterday, almost positive that there were going to arrest me on the spot. But it was actually pretty easy. I went to the clerk and he gave me a paper saying that I did appear at court regarding this matter and told me to come back any day befroe 8:30 and I'll get to see a judge and that more than likely he'll reduce it down to the original amount or maybe a little more...i'll be happy with anything less than $1000 honestly. One of my friends is suggesting I just take the jail time..which I might consider depending on how many days the sentence would be for against what the judge reduces my fee too..a coworker of mine got 3days in jail due to a speeding ticket she refused to pay..but only served 2 hours lol. I don't know if i could handle jail or not though..i'm waaaay to cute for that hahaha
Dude, what kind of "friends" do you have who "advise" doing any kind of jail time is a "good" option??

I'm sure the court will allow you to work out payment arrangements if you don't have all of the money or if they don't reduce it.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:42 AM

2,110 posts, read 4,048,112 times
Quote:
You could use that jail time to write the next big country hit. It worked for Johnny Cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles