U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:24 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,449,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
So you don't sleep anymore? Wouldn't it be time to consider moving at that point?
I sleep in 4 hour segments, as I am still recovering from sleep apnea and still worry about the accompanying trauma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
You want dress codes for public streets? I've seen far weirder dress than this, in many parts of the country. Maybe it's time to leave L.A. for someplace more "normal" like Merced, Bakersfield.
I didn't take the posting as meaning anything like that. The OP was just commenting on someone walking down the middle of the street in the early morning and thought they were a little wierd...I would think the same. I don't think I would think it was strange enough to post but strange yes. Now if they were on the wierdist intersection in the country (Hollywood and Vine) that would be different..

Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 AM

1,506 posts, read 3,170,747 times
Believe me, Los Angeles is rather conservative when compared on a global scale..

Which is good..

Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 AM

397 posts, read 776,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Believe me, Los Angeles is rather conservative when compared on a global scale..

Which is good..
Not really. Maybe certain parts of LA, the boring parts, but we got plenty of weird in the good parts.

Weird is good. If you want normal, and conservative, go move to Santa Clarita or whatever.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,470,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Now if they were on the wierdist intersection in the country (Hollywood and Vine) that would be different..
Been to Haight/Ashbury lately? Or ever?

"Keep California Weird" (tepid apologies to Santa Cruz)

Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 PM

3,779 posts, read 7,169,582 times
Other than the sunglasses, I still haven't figured out what is weird.
The clothing? Why shouldn't he wear what he likes?
The time? People have different schedules.
The place? As has been said, sometimes the middle of the street is a good place to walk.

When I was in my late teens I used to walk a block or so from my car to my apartment sometime between 2:00 and 5:00 in the morning. I wore my work uniform and I walked in the middle of the street; it was a bad neighborhood with cars lining the street on both sides.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:23 PM

6,257 posts, read 10,333,059 times
Now, it is 4:53 AM, VaL takes another look outside the window and sees the same dude limping back in the opposite direction. He appears to be roughed up and almost butt-naked. He was probably jumped by Banana Republic-hating gang bangers.

What would be a creepy outfit imho is if he was wearing nothing but a hat, trench coat and slippers plus the shades of course. That would probably keep me from going back to sleep, especially if at the same moment, he turned around, saw me and gave me thumbs up while smiling.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:49 PM

924 posts, read 905,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You must not travel much.

LA when you consider it's size is more "normal" than many other smaller cities.

I lived in LA for 20yrs, and less than 3 yrs in Portland, OR. I saw more "odd behavior" in Portland in under 3yrs than I ever did in my two decades in LA.

And I lived in Hollywood for a few years in the early 90s.

Unless he was breaking into cars or attacking someone why do you care?
Exactly. Like when I'm on the metro and a transient is doing something weird, you can always count on someone chiming in with "only in L.A." or something to that effect. This type of stuff goes on EVERYWHERE, and like the guy said, in proportion to its size, L.A. seems quite normal.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:19 PM

890 posts, read 2,415,224 times
Unbeknownst to the OP, the street walker is doing his morning cardio but had a late evening opthamologist caratacts eye test, but started having a schizophrenia episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or