U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,858,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borngrace View Post
Does anyone send their kids to LAUSD???
I am a product of LAUSD and can say that it is not all bad.

I live in district for El Camino Real in Woodland Hills and its where the 16 year old is in school. Before moving to this area, had him in Kester Middle School Magnet in Sherman Oaks and bused to Lawrence Middle School magnet in Chatsworth.

Where is the job so we can make better commutable recommendations for you?

You have two who will be in high school soon and the others in elementary school. Let me/us know where you will be working and we can make good recomendations for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM

27 posts, read 66,790 times
Job is in Culver City (have not seen 1 house that I liked there). Looking at 1920's style houses if we are "in town". Have looked in LA, Brentwood, Malibu, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills (have not found any houses in M, SM or BH so far that work for us), Also considered beach towns - but not sure if they are too on top of each other for us. (manhattan, hermosa, redondo) Think Rancho Palos Verdes is too far. Also have some houses (not old) in Calabasas & Encino bookmarked with large(ish) properties. Our budget is still evolving. We had hoped for 800k and now have doubled that (but with the double comes the unlikelyhood of private schools) and we have to figure out the trade-off.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 AM

536 posts, read 528,602 times
Calabasas is beautiful and is in the Las Virgenes Unified School District which has excellent public schools at all levels, but is not the easiest of commutes to Culver City. Could be worse, but won't be short.

Also take a look at Ask A Magnet Yenta, lots of great parent-generated info about LA schools at all levels. Particular focus on magnet schools and how to get into them, but has good, current advice across the board.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:11 AM

6 posts, read 7,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniek View Post
My son attends a magnet school in LA proper,that's rated a 9 and I could not be happier with. He will more than likely attend a public magnet school in LAUSD for middle school as well.There are plenty of good schools in LAUSD, you just have to do your research. Check our LAUSD.NET for zoning information and greatschools.net for parent reviews. These are very useful tools that for anyone looking at schools in any district.
There may not be any magnet schools the way the budget cuts are headed.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:47 PM

168 posts, read 143,597 times
Varies by school. I would hazard a guess that 80% of the LAUSD program is not for you, assuming you want your kids going to school where english is the first language, etc. Some of the high schools are pretty good though, especially the magnets. It all depends on where you live tbh.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 PM

330 posts, read 408,488 times
I think it all boils down to parenting. You can send your kids to nice schools and they turn out to be nobody. I've seen this myself so many times. I was fortunate enough to have graduated from Beverly Hills High in '99. Majority of my peers went onto higher education, one is in residency for to become an MD with others becoming lawyers and engineers, etc . There were several peers I knew whio ended up nowhere, i.e. still in community college for 5+ years. Two of my closest friends graduated from Downey High(decent school btw, not failing but not excellent either), one got Masters at Pepperdine, while the other is in dental school. Although rich neighborhoods help, it is not a neccessity for good education for your kids. I think the reason why LAUSD failed is because of parents from the poor not getting involved with their kids education.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM

8,421 posts, read 5,878,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
I think the reason why LAUSD failed is because of parents from the poor not getting involved with their kids education.
I also think for some reason, there just isn't the commitment from the middle-class and upper middle class families in relatively affluent areas served by LAUSD, to also commit to their local public school, that you might find in other areas/school districts, that could make the difference in making a local school good, better or great.

It might be a little unfair to put all of the onus on the poor - if they're working 2-3 jobs to put food on the table, it's going to be hard to get more involved in the kids' education than they'd like to. Or they may not have the cash resources to invest in other materials that could help their kids more.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,600,151 times
I'm a product of the LAUSD school system and I turned out fine. If the student is focused enough they can get through and still have a life full of success. The elimentary schools are particularly solid in some areas. Especially those that offer the bilingual immersion program which teaches students both english and spanish from a young age. I now know both languages perfectly.

During the middle school and high schools parents need to be a little more selective. Some are definitely better than others. Obviously the district is far from perfect, but a child can make it through if they have a good foundation at home.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,898,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borngrace View Post
If we could consider LA proper for houses it would open up our option considerably. And if we are able to spend more on a house that also opens things up. BUT if we could not afford private schools (also) would that be UNTHINKABLE? I have 2 entering 8th grade and 1 entering 4th and 1 entering 2nd. The 2 oldest are quiet, academic, self motivated - used to small east coast private school where they are involved in everything. The middle is smart but likely to knock off assignments as quickly as possible to be done and more interested in being cool that doing the right thing (has been successful in small private school where he is "loved" and kept an eye on). The yougest is a social butterfly. Loves everyone, everyone loves her. Smart and likes to do the right thing and a good job but more intersted in conversations with her friends than necessarily always paying attention. I worry about the oldest being sooo out of water and not learning anything - but will self motivated kids be fine? Should I worry more about the 2 that will not necessarily seek out the learning?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.
It's not the district. It isn't the school. It's the kids in the school. The districts across the US are basically the same. The schools within any district are basically the same.

The differences between any two schools in the US is in the noise compared with the difference between the kids in the schools.

So, it isn't LAUSD that is poor performing. It's the kids who don't speak English as a first language, come from broken homes from parents with a fifth grade education who are ex-cons, alcoholics, or drug addicts who are poor performing.

Here's the gold nugget of school performance search tools:

California School Performance Maps

Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,946,148 times
borngrace, you might want to take a look at El Segundo. Reasonable commute to Culver City. Good school district (9-10). Very family-oriented. Does have some very old homes, as well as McMansions. And in your price range. Send me a direct message if you have some specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles