U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:22 PM

27 posts, read 66,633 times

Advertisements

If we could consider LA proper for houses it would open up our option considerably. And if we are able to spend more on a house that also opens things up. BUT if we could not afford private schools (also) would that be UNTHINKABLE? I have 2 entering 8th grade and 1 entering 4th and 1 entering 2nd. The 2 oldest are quiet, academic, self motivated - used to small east coast private school where they are involved in everything. The middle is smart but likely to knock off assignments as quickly as possible to be done and more interested in being cool that doing the right thing (has been successful in small private school where he is "loved" and kept an eye on). The yougest is a social butterfly. Loves everyone, everyone loves her. Smart and likes to do the right thing and a good job but more intersted in conversations with her friends than necessarily always paying attention. I worry about the oldest being sooo out of water and not learning anything - but will self motivated kids be fine? Should I worry more about the 2 that will not necessarily seek out the learning?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,570,480 times
I am interested to hear some responses to this too, as my wife and I live in LA proper and plan to have kids here - but not sure about the quality of the schools in the city school district (I know they are terrible but like the OP asks, would a smart, self motivated kid be just as fine as other school districts).

Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,425,652 times
i don't have kids yet (one on the way) and live in LAUSD territory. we bought our first house recently and considered local public schools through the jr. high level when picking our neighborhood, of which there are some pretty good options still. unfortunately, pretty much all non magnet/charter high schools in the district are very low performing. the only exception here is el camino real HS in woodland hills (which was too far away from major job centers for us to consider). anyways, i've met products of LAUSD who have came out pretty good. if you can get into a good charter/magnet and your kids are self-motivated I think you'd be fine. the problem here is getting into one of these schools. i believe entry is based on a lottery system that is weighted in favor of kids who have applied previously. since all of your kids would be applying for the first time, the odds of getting accepted are probably unlikely.

if you don't want to go that route and LAUSD is your only option then woodland hills/west hills will be your best bet.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:15 PM

27 posts, read 66,633 times
Just checked. Cant do Woodland Hills. Too far from job.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,430,462 times
I know several friends with elementary school kids do. They live in Brentwood, Mar Vista & Studio City, so definitely upper-income neighborhoods with the majority of students coming from the surrounding areas. However, in all fairness they've mentioned that they intend to send their kids to private or parochial middle school or hs. Also, i have some older business associates with teenage kids attending ECR in Woodland Hills and Marshall in Silverlake and they seem happy with the breadth of AP course offerings & opportunities for extracurricular enrichment. Granted they're Indian & Chinese and subscribe to the "tiger-mom" school of parenting, so whether public hs would be suitable for a more hands-off/laid-back parent I'm not sure.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 15,214 times
My son attends a magnet school in LA proper,that's rated a 9 and I could not be happier with. He will more than likely attend a public magnet school in LAUSD for middle school as well.There are plenty of good schools in LAUSD, you just have to do your research. Check our LAUSD.NET for zoning information and greatschools.net for parent reviews. These are very useful tools that for anyone looking at schools in any district.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:25 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,979,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Also, i have some older business associates with teenage kids attending ECR in Woodland Hills and Marshall in Silverlake and they seem happy with the breadth of AP course offerings & opportunities for extracurricular enrichment.
I can personally vouch for John Marshall High. Great student population and AP program. The campus and nearby areas are really safe too.

Much better than going to Belmont, Franklin, Eagle Rock, Lincoln High, etc.

The nearby Thomas Starr King Middle School just off Sunset Blvd is pretty ghetto, though.

If there was anything I really liked about growing up in the Los Feliz/Silverlake area, it was attending John Marshall High.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 PM

120 posts, read 408,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borngrace View Post
If we could consider LA proper for houses it would open up our option considerably. And if we are able to spend more on a house that also opens things up. BUT if we could not afford private schools (also) would that be UNTHINKABLE? I have 2 entering 8th grade and 1 entering 4th and 1 entering 2nd. The 2 oldest are quiet, academic, self motivated - used to small east coast private school where they are involved in everything. The middle is smart but likely to knock off assignments as quickly as possible to be done and more interested in being cool that doing the right thing (has been successful in small private school where he is "loved" and kept an eye on). The yougest is a social butterfly. Loves everyone, everyone loves her. Smart and likes to do the right thing and a good job but more intersted in conversations with her friends than necessarily always paying attention. I worry about the oldest being sooo out of water and not learning anything - but will self motivated kids be fine? Should I worry more about the 2 that will not necessarily seek out the learning?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.
I know kids that went to really bad ranked high schools and got into Harvard and UCLA. Others went to Palos Verdes High and Mira Costa High and got only into Cal State Northridge. It depends on the kids and parents. Your kids won't be thugs, so don't worry about it. Try to get a middle class area in LA proper if you can..it would help the transition for you and the kids

Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 PM

50 posts, read 125,041 times
Since LAUSD is such a large district it really depends on the schools. For example, the LAUSD schools in Pacific Palisades are on the better side, while schools in other neighborhoods are pretty terrible. Unfortunately, the better LAUSD schools are in the more expensive parts on Los Angeles.

You can also look at other districts within the Los Angeles area. Santa Monica/Malibu Unified School District (SMMUSD) has some very good schools (especially elementary schools). The Beverly Hills district is by far the best of these three though (Beverly Hills High is an amazing school). Once again these two districts are in areas with slightly higher housing prices. However, it is not impossibly to find lower priced homes in these areas.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,580,164 times
Well, the LAUSD is not a family-friendly school district and LA is not recommended for people who have or want kids. The good schools are normally outside the city limits or in the rich neighborhoods like Brentwood and Pacific Palisades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles