Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,080 times

Advertisements

Part of the difference is that people live in smaller spaces here because it is the big city. Most individuals wouldn't expect to rent a two bedroom apartment.

LA County is a sort of a middle ground between smaller cities and true dense cities like San Francisco or New York City. If you got a job in NYC, you wouldn't expect to rent a 2 bed apartment. You'd dial down your expectations to a studio apartment.

For L.A., you need to dial down your expectations as well, only not as extreme as you would for SF or NYC. Most individuals just wouldn't expect to rent a 2 bed apartment: it would seem excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Maybe in adjacent Redondo Beach but Torrance is more affordable. I'd say around $1400-1600 for a nice 2BR apartment. $2000 would probably get you a nice 2-3BR house in Torrance. You can check Craigslist and Westsiderentals.com to get a general idea of rental prices.
This is wholly dependent on the neighborhood (in Torrance) and the 'quality' of the apartment.

As mentioned above, the $1600 budget fits a 1 bedroom much better. In unit w/d are hard to find in LA - most complexes have a shared w/d.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,743 times
North and east Torrance tend to be less expensive than west and south. I about in the middle and a 2 bedroom house is about $2400.
I'm from the Midwest, as Mike121 said your idea of the space you needs to change for you to be happy here. I had a huge home in a great location in the Midwest, here I got a condo in an, eh, location. Only you can decide what you need to make you happy.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,883 times
96k in LA vs 70k in Indiana seems about right. Your rent will go up around 1200-1300 a month from what are you paying in Indiana (I agree with others 1800-2000 is a more realistic budget), which is roughly equivalent to 20k pre-tax. The remaining 6k will go to largely paying higher California taxes (income, sales tax, car registration, absurd speeding/parking ticket fees, etc). Most other expenses will not change significantly from Indiana. You will probably pay higher car insurance, but you will pay lower utility prices and food is generally cheaper here too. All in all I think this is pretty much accurate.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 PM

189 posts, read 510,652 times
Thanks for all the advise but seems like the recruiter didn't like that I found out that he was not being honest when he told me that a 12%-15% salary increase would be more than enough to maintain the same current standard of living that I have in Indiana.

I emailed him several times asking him what he thought about the graphics that I sent him and I never heard back from him again.

So I'm glad I did my homework before applying to this job.

Hopefully if I find another job in California that I can apply to I will know how much salary I should ask for.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:45 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,362 times
Electricity depends if you use AC or heater or not. I have lived in Orange County, West Hollywood etc. all more expensive areas than Torrance and my bill was NEVER more than $40 a month, more like $35.

People who have high electric bills do so cause they use a heater or AC. I've never felt the need to use AC my entire life in Socal. However, many people are weird and like to use it. Just never felt the need for it.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 PM

14 posts, read 28,569 times
I live in Torrance and I pay $1595 for a 2bdrm, 1 1/2 bath, shared laundry facility and I had to buy my own refrigerator, so it's a big difference from what I paid in Denver. Utilities aren't much at all, around $30-$40/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles