U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,845 times

Advertisements

So this forum and the internet has some not so kind things to say about Long Beach, especially with regards to safety.

Reading these forums have always been of much assistance, so I'm hoping for some personalized help. The situation is: I'm going to be going to UC Irvine, while my wife will be working in Beverly Hills. Neither of us will have fun commutes, but it looks like Long Beach would be the most equidistant.

The areas that are usually recommended here when I search are Belmont, Naples and the areas around there. However, downtown actually looks like a pretty fun place to live--vibrant, busy, walkable. I visited recently, and it looked quite nice. It also makes jumping on the 710 easy for the wife, dropping her commute around 15 minutes compared to the Belmont area.

But is it safe. Particularly in the Downtown Core east of of the 710, but west of E.Shoreline/Alimitos? It's important to us to be able to walk around without worry, park cars on the street without worry, etc..

We're looking at Gallery421 apartments here: 421 W. Broadway, Long Beach, CA 90802. But, again, the general advice seems to be to stay to the east, well east of there.

Any recommendations? Thanks a ton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,131,766 times
I live a little East of downtown. Downtown is ok, it definitely looks nice, and the first few blocks off the beach are all full of nice housing, but when you go further north it quickly gets pretty seedy. There's a lot of weird people wandering around downtown and where I live but if you're used to being in a city it's not too bad. Alamitos Shore is quieter but there aren't many restaurants so it doesn't feel as walkable.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 AM

42 posts, read 87,670 times
Long Beach, especially Downtown, has come a long way the last several years. In my opinion most people that speak negatively about it either haven't been down here in a long time, the little time they've spent here was in a bad part of town, or they are tucked away in their suburbs/SUVs/chain retailers and dislike anything that is different from that.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM

844 posts, read 1,769,319 times
I lived in Long Beach. Experienced plenty of crime, enough to motivate me to relocate.

Moderator cut: see note People need to hear both sides of the story.

Last edited by Count David; 03-24-2012 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: please do not discuss moderation in posts

Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 PM

38,752 posts, read 37,920,228 times
Long beach is a good city, at least a good chunk of it is. It does have a lot of bad parts though.

I've lived in Lakewood/Long Beach area most of my life.

Lakewood is a good area to look into as well.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 AM

19 posts, read 324,035 times
For people to say Long Beach isn't safe is like saying Los Angeles isn't safe, Chicago isn't safe, or New York City isn't safe. Long Beach is a big city with everything from ghetto to $3m estates on the water.

High-rises in downtown--almost any of those are going to be secure and walking distance to lots of restaurants and clubs. Anything on Ocean Blvd or within a block or two of Pine going east are good. Gallery421 is across from City Hall but it's not as good an area as Pine & Broadway or Ocean Blvd.

Belmont shore is great, too--everywhere is good.

Belmont Heights (south of 7th, east of Redondo) everywhere is good

the Bluff area (Ocean to 4th, Junipero to Redondo) everywhere is good

As for Alamitos Beach, parking is a big problem. East of Shoreline and south of 4th is fine but there are some unsavory elements like homeless around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or