U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM

122 posts, read 319,082 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just sold our condo in West LA. We are looking at properties on the following streets in Pasadena. We are having difficulty finding property with all the right varibables which include price, location, sq ft and HOA dues. We are looking at condos on these streets:

163 N Parkman- Price a little high but low HOA dues. Street???
300 N El Molino-Price is just right but HOA dues are high. Nice location
241 and 314 Monterey Rd-Price right, HOA dues right but location???

I was wondering if anyone can provide how the neighborhoods are on Parkman and Monterey. We are coming from a sketchy area near Venice Blvd in West LA and are pretty sensitve about living in a neighborhood that is sketchy.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 PM

401 posts, read 604,706 times
you can check crime stats on: Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities!

The Parkman address looks like it's in Altadena off Loma Alta. If this is the case, the area is not sketchy, but definitely eclectic. You'll have neighbors with good pride in ownership and others that park cars in their front lawn. Location is a bit out of the way, because you're right in the foothills and will have to drive down a bit to go anywhere.

El Molino - right off Old Town. Great walking neighborhood in the downtown core. You're right off the freeway, which personally I wouldn't like.. and you have the typical minor issues with any urban core.. more late night goings on, a few homeless folks here and there, alcohol related crimes like assaults, and crimes of opportunity (car break-ins) But, by in large, Old Town has gentrified quite a bit and is not really sketchy anymore. You'll be right on the edge of where all the action (night life, shops, eateries, etc).

Monterey - looks like this one is in South Pas. Not too familiar with that part of S Pas.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 PM

122 posts, read 319,082 times
Default Moving To Pasadena

Thanks for the input but I made an error on the Parkman. That was actually 163 N Parkwood which is north of Colorado near Walnut.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:34 PM

401 posts, read 604,706 times
That makes more sense
So, comparing the Parkwood and El Molino address...
Parkwood will have more students given you are near PCC, more renters.. El Molino likely more young urban professionals.
Parkwood is not as nice (visually) a part of town as El Molino.. there are alot of auto repair shops there on Walnut.. a little more industrial. You are walking distance to PCC, but the destinations aren't nearly as nice, varied, etc as the El Molino address which is close to Old Town and N. Lake shopping.
Parkwood a tad bit more sketchy.. but not awful. Might be a little less traveled at night since there is not much open around there compared with the El Molino locale.
Both close to Gold Line, which could be pretty cool.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:48 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,336,521 times
I live in Highland Park. I drive around this area often when I go from HLP to South Pasadena and Alhambra. The Monterey Road condos look like they are in W-SW area of South Pasadena. The area is safe in my opinion. There are not a lot of amenities in the immediate area, but there are places to shop/eat in Hermon/Highland Park/South Pasadena on Fair Oaks, a very short bicycle away or a long walk. The nearest Goldline station is the one in South Pasadena.

The 314 Condo Looks like it is on a corner on a somewhat medium trafficked Monterey Road/Pasadena Ave with the Gold Line in backyard. I drive by this intersection often, often waiting for the train to pass or the red light. Sometimes the train horns blow/ring, so make sure that this doesn't bother you.

The 241 Condo is slightly off the busy part of Monterey Road. It is fairly light traffic with stop signs all the way to Hermon.

Hermon is nice, quiet, safe area of Northeast LA. It has a new dog park, many lighted tennis courts and a Fresco grocery store. There is a bike path on the Arroyo River next to the park. There are tons of parks along the Arroyo which is a major plus for the area.

Highland Park is "up and coming" and has been like that for over a decade. The sketchier parts of HLP are near the Gold Line towards Franklin H.S. at night, but during the day, it's quite safe and full of people along the main drag on Fig. There are quite a few shops near York/Fig like 99cent store,Penny's Burger, Jack in a Box, KFC, RiteAid and on Tuesdays about a dozen mobile food trucks. There are usually a lot of people in this shopping area day and night

S. Pasadena is a good area all over.

Because the area is a bit removed from shops and public transit, I don't see many people walking around when I drive by. I think there are plans to but bike lanes or paths around South Pasadena connecting to Highland Park. Hope this helps. I say if you choose these condo's walk around the area during the day and night, check the noise of the light rail, and the areas of Hermon/HLP. Some people are turned off living bordering these areas, but I think its all right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or