U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:37 AM

363 posts, read 391,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
How on earth do you dingbats have enough money to invest as a landlord, but not hire a REA or attorney who could easily and accurately advise you on these matters?

Or alternatively just read the advice already given in this thread.
LOL! Ok, so I probably would have put it more diplomatically, but I agree. Wouldn't the first thing you would have done prior to shopping for a property is find out of it's rent-controlled? Details like this are so obvious to me that I can't help but think this post is a troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:32 AM

381 posts, read 268,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
How on earth do you dingbats have enough money to invest as a landlord, but not hire a REA or attorney who could easily and accurately advise you on these matters?

Or alternatively just read the advice already given in this thread.
You don't understand these foreigner types. They'll do ANYTHING to save a buck. "Who needs a real estate agent when we can just ask online?!"

Old 06-14-2015, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
Yup, you know what kind of landlords these dingbat will be. Heard of that African woman who played the race card when she owns a few properties in California and does the scare tactic to evict and rent at higher price? Was in sf news a few weeks back.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,189 times
i need to know if there is rent control in the city of bell california pls. if anyone can tell me

Old 06-15-2016, 01:10 PM

11,062 posts, read 8,980,576 times
Bell is not under rent control according to this. And 15 minutes apparently.

Landlord/Tenant Book - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 06-15-2016, 03:03 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,597,055 times
I do not let rent control stop me from investing in an area, with 2 exceptions: West Hollywood and Santa Monica, The rules there are nutty and extremely anti-landlord. L.A. rent control is workable if you buy a property intelligently and can actually work in the landlords favor if you are smart.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:49 PM

106 posts, read 73,506 times
holy ancient thread, batman!

I hope the OP's relative bought a boatload of apartments back in 2012, if so that was an absolute hum-dinger of an investment.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:51 PM

106 posts, read 73,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
I do not let rent control stop me from investing in an area, with 2 exceptions: West Hollywood and Santa Monica, The rules there are nutty and extremely anti-landlord. L.A. rent control is workable if you buy a property intelligently and can actually work in the landlords favor if you are smart.
Absolutely correct. Rent controlled buildings in LA can be great investments if you know what you are doing.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:15 PM

24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Do you mean in terms of buying out tenants or paying them out to leave?

Old 06-15-2016, 05:49 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,597,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Do you mean in terms of buying out tenants or paying them out to leave?
In terms of
1. the Housing dept doesn't protect tenants who don't abide by the law and can actually provide guidance on how to deal with them.
2. The HD will notify tenants of rent increases based on repairs and maintenance; makes it look official, which it is. The tenants NEVER question such a rent increase.
3. Will be a middleman on some issues. When I've needed the city it doesn't like it when the tenant is being a total jackazz, which is when I need the city. They don't like dealing with it and will come down matter of factly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles