Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Thanks
Interesting , didn't realize that a landlord could legally increase rent control tenants based on repairs and maintainance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 08:39 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,968 times
I have some houses in California That I bought long ago and are paid off. I have a cleaning company that keeps them clean and had them clean up the house after the tenants left. I dont live there and was going to get a few potential tenants then go out there and meet them. In Valencia a tenant that had lived there for 18 years moved out and I listed it to rent again. I didnt at all check and see what rents were but I raised the rent to $1200 and decided to grin and bear it to get a good tenant. I got at least 500 calls and emails the first day and had to cancel the ad.
Then I checked the rents and they are obscene. People are renting for $3500 in that neighborhood. What I dont understand is how can people pay rents like that?

Old 06-15-2016, 11:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Wow , must of been a really long time since you checked market rents .
Sounds like you probably lost out on a lot of potential rent over the years too if you were charging less than $1200 but market rents were over $3000 .

When did you buy the homes ?
How much where they back then versus now ?

Also regarding how people pay $3500, probably with dual income and both people making decent salaries .

If you think $3500 for an entire house is crazy .., take a look at what market rents are for 1 bedroom or even studios in Santa Monica ..

http://www.apartments.com/santa-monica-ca/

Old 06-16-2016, 08:06 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
I have some houses in California That I bought long ago and are paid off. I have a cleaning company that keeps them clean and had them clean up the house after the tenants left. I dont live there and was going to get a few potential tenants then go out there and meet them. In Valencia a tenant that had lived there for 18 years moved out and I listed it to rent again. I didnt at all check and see what rents were but I raised the rent to $1200 and decided to grin and bear it to get a good tenant. I got at least 500 calls and emails the first day and had to cancel the ad.
Then I checked the rents and they are obscene. People are renting for $3500 in that neighborhood. What I dont understand is how can people pay rents like that?

Wow, an avalanche of interest much have been mind blowing. Smart to cancel the ad. When you repost the ad, what will be the rent then? The rents are obscene, so perhaps you can rent just a little less than the obscene rates... just to give decent people a break.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:31 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Thanks
Interesting , didn't realize that a landlord could legally increase rent control tenants based on repairs and maintainance.
Not all repairs and maintenance qualifies. And the increase is temporary until the costs are paid off, IIRC the increased rent is spread over 5 years

Old 06-16-2016, 09:34 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
You don't understand these foreigner types. They'll do ANYTHING to save a buck. "Who needs a real estate agent when we can just ask online?!"
Wow! Love the honesty! And, don't use your new rent control apartment to store weapons and launch attacks on Americans.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:13 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Not all repairs and maintenance qualifies. And the increase is temporary until the costs are paid off, IIRC the increased rent is spread over 5 years
Capital improvements, not very much money.

Still, okay, investing in LA rent control is okay because you can increase 3%, and there is a fair amount of turnover, while the dinosaurs in WeHo and SM will stay for their entire life because of the low rent.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:43 AM

25 posts, read 19,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Wow, an avalanche of interest much have been mind blowing. Smart to cancel the ad. When you repost the ad, what will be the rent then? The rents are obscene, so perhaps you can rent just a little less than the obscene rates... just to give decent people a break.
I've gotten bidding wars of people offering above my asking rent price.

Why exactly should I "give people a break"? This is business, not a charity.
If market rents go down in the future at some point, should I ask people to pay above market to give me a break?

Old 06-16-2016, 11:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MoneyPenny View Post

If market rents go down in the future at some point, should I ask people to pay above market to give me a break?
Because the person they are quoting stated they wanted to.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:52 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MoneyPenny View Post

Ok, ok, if you're getting bidding wars, then go for it, charge as much as the highest bidder is willing to give you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles