U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:58 AM

2 posts, read 18,473 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm a foreigner, and I'm going to study at USC from july 2012 and I'm looking for a place to live.

I will have a car and my budget is around 1.2-1.300 $ and I would like a one bed / one bath appartment.

Where would you recommend to live? Of cause it has to be safe, and perhaps with some good parks to run in ect.

Any good renters you can recommend?

Thank you.

Henrik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 06:39 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,542,041 times
You didn't mention if you are studying as a graduate student or undergraduate.

There are more and more options for undergraduate students at some new housing projects targeted specifically for students. These are two new ones located next to campus:

University Gateway
University Gateway is the Best Alternative to USC Off Campus Housing

The Tuscany
CONQUEST HOUSING

However, in these complexes there might be a waiting list and you will have to SHARE it with roomates.

If you are a graduate student looking to have your own place, then I would suggest looking in the following areas:

Downtown Los Angeles, Miracle Mile neighborhood (Wilshire Blvd/La Brea Ave), Pasadena, Culver City, Koreatown, Echo Park, and Hollywood/West Hollywood.

Your budget is light for a one-bedroom in a good area. But if you are ok with a studio you can probably find something. In the U.S.A. a studio = one room with living/sleeping area combined plus a kitchen & bath (i.e., no separate bedroom).

Good luck.

Also, do a search for this topic and you'll find some old threads on the subject that will help you.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 AM

331 posts, read 591,722 times
I lived at Tuscani villas when i went to USC - Tuscani Villas :: A Taste of Luxury in Downtown LA. If you don't have a car, you get to to USC via the bus. It's not in a great area though

Old 03-14-2012, 02:06 PM

46 posts, read 159,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
I lived at Tuscani villas when i went to USC - Tuscani Villas :: A Taste of Luxury in Downtown LA. If you don't have a car, you get to to USC via the bus. It's not in a great area though
Hopefully the new expo light rail line, which has 2 stops next to USC, will be open by then too.

BuildExpo

Old 04-04-2012, 02:04 AM

10 posts, read 44,966 times
Hi,
What is most important? No roommate for $1300 or Close to Campus, or nice area?

If it is important to have your own apartment (1br/1ba) and no roommate, you get more for your money by living offcampus and commuting to campus. Nice areas are in order: Marina Del Rey/Playa Vista, Pasadena, downtown.

The shortest commute is to live downtown and commute via the Dash Bus (.35 cents). Then, you are closer to other students on campus.

USC also offers trams from campus to Marina Del Rey/Playa Vista, and the central downtown public transportation ("Union Station") where you can transfer to Pasadena. See USC for shuttle times. Auxiliary Services | Transportation | Bus Maps & Schedules

If I had to do it, I'd live right near the Marina del rey or playa vista stop, and take the 30 min FREE and safe USC shuttle. However, it only arrives at USC at 9;30am earliest, and leaves latest at 5:30pm (no night classes).

Otherwise, ifyou don't mind a roommate, or living in an expensive, rundown area (but near other undergrad students), the oncampus options are great.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 AM

2 posts, read 18,473 times
Thanks for all the kind replies.

I'm a graduate student, and I would like my own appartment in a nice area. I dont commuting to school in my own car.

The ideal would be a one bedroom, but a studio would do it.

I did some research on google, and found a lot of places / apartment buildings where you could have a pool, gym and parking.

Anyone who could recommend any of these?

Thank you once again!

Cheers

Henrik

Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM

184 posts, read 290,450 times
I'd suggest you check the areas out. A lot of ads online are deceptive .

I would really try to find something close by , like walking distance. I would think for your budget you should be able to find something...not sure if the places near campus would have pool,gym parking though so you might have to look a bit further.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 PM

237 posts, read 559,186 times
It's official: Expo line will open April 28th with free rides that Sat & Sun ONLY, and first REVENUE day begins April 30th. There are 2 stations next to USC, so commute using Expo would be ideal. TONS of USC students in the lofts and apartments of nearby downtown LA, but they are known to party instead of sleep. However, the rest of the Metro rail lines and it's connections to Expo open up many new housing opportunities. If necessary, you could even consider suburbs and use Metrolink commuter trains to connect to Metro at Union Station.

Please see the following for more info:

mta-dot-net and metrolinktrains-dot-com

Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikHC View Post
Thanks for all the kind replies.

I'm a graduate student, and I would like my own appartment in a nice area. I dont commuting to school in my own car.

The ideal would be a one bedroom, but a studio would do it.

I did some research on google, and found a lot of places / apartment buildings where you could have a pool, gym and parking.

Anyone who could recommend any of these?

Thank you once again!

Cheers

Henrik
So you will have your own car?

If you post some specific apartments & addresses we can give you some feedback (at least about the area they are located).

Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerry View Post
It's official: Expo line will open April 28th with free rides that Sat & Sun ONLY, and first REVENUE day begins April 30th. There are 2 stations next to USC, so commute using Expo would be ideal. TONS of USC students in the lofts and apartments of nearby downtown LA, but they are known to party instead of sleep. However, the rest of the Metro rail lines and it's connections to Expo open up many new housing opportunities. If necessary, you could even consider suburbs and use Metrolink commuter trains to connect to Metro at Union Station.
Two rail stations at USC! About time. Will be even better when the rest of the line opens to Santa Monica (in 2016).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerry View Post
There are 2 stations next to USC, so commute using Expo would be ideal. TONS of USC students in the lofts and apartments of nearby downtown LA, but they are known to party instead of sleep.
This is USC in 2012. You are thinking of the USC kids circa the 1960's to the 1980's. MOST of the USC student body these days are quite serious students. The school's brain power has really gone up in recent years. Of course, on a college campus there will always be some party animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles