U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 116,853 times

Advertisements

I got a jury duty summons while I was in the middle of moving (within LA county). I signed up online and put it in a safe place so I wouldn't lose it during the move....and of course it's the only thing I lost.

I think my jury duty may be tomorrow, or possibly next week, or maybe the week after... all I know for sure is that it was at Burbank courthouse. I've tried calling the jury duty questions number at that courthouse plenty of times but no one will answer. I'm not trying to dodge going in, but I'm not sure what to do at this point. I would just go show up at the court house first thing tomorrow and ask, since the phones clearly aren't an option, but I'm a personal assistant and can't get time off from work that...plus Burbank is alllllll the way across town from where I work so it'd take forever to get back in rush hour.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If I don't show up, will they just send me a notice to appear again, or will I get fined?I've only gotten one other jury duty notice before, and I postponed it a year...I've never flat out failed to appear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,253,063 times
Did you try this number 1-800-778-5879? This is a number for Los Angeles Superior Court. They can locate your jury duty information by your name. If they are unable to help, perhaps they can direct you.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 114,364 times
This happened to me actually and what you do is either go to the court any court doesn't matter and go to the jury division and give them your ID they can pull your info out. or the best thing to do that was recommended to me from the clerk i called is to just skip it because then they will send you a new letter giving you a new date to show since you missed your first. You will get the new letter 2 weeks after you original date, and the letter only states that you failed to appear to jury duty but does not mean your in any kind of trouble and like i said they will give you a new jury duty date, and all you have to do is not loose the paper this time lol. good luck

Old 07-28-2012, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 111,897 times
Default Good tips ... But...

Thank you for the solid tips. I will certainly go to the court on my date of jury duty. Alas, the jury number is less than helpful because the it's automated and won't provide information without a jury ID number and PIN... the very information that I'm seeking from the court website and phone number. It's a catch-22 for the 21st century.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 85,754 times
I lost my jury duty summons where it says the location that i have to go to.... I have my Juror ID and Pin and I've tried calling and is just to register please help i know is next monday on the 19 of auguste

Old 08-12-2013, 01:19 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,630,157 times
I'm in the same exact situation. My appearance was the week of July 6th! Lost my damn summons. Also, that week I had an injury to my eye and couldn't have gone anyway.

But still, I lost it and can't find it anywhere. I try calling the number provided on lasuperiorcourt, but they need the info. I can't just take time off work randomly just to go check. I think I'm screwed. It's been a month but I haven't heard from them yet. This is such a pain in the ass.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:46 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,497,166 times
Think.

How can the court prove that you ever received a jury summons?

How do they know that you were not on vacation in Tahiti and your house sitter threw it into the trash?

Relax.

You can't be fined without due process taking place, and the only proof that the court has that you received the summons is if you tell them so.

The county doesn't have the money to initiate and follow through on a judicial action for everybody who, for whatever reason, does not respond to their jury summons.

Move on, and next time keep your summons in a safe place.

(Disclaimer - Harrier is not a lawyer, and the above should not be considered as giving legal advice).

Last edited by Harrier; 08-12-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,749,535 times
Yeah don't worry. You'll get another in the mail in two weeks.

I got a summons, tried to register online (which must have been a fail because) on the day I was supposed to call in, it said I failed to register and that they will send another summons.

Besides, LA County is wayyyyy too big for them to hunt down delinquent would-be jurors.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 73,342 times
I lost my jury duty summons and I don't know when to register or when my jury duty is how can I get my information

Old 04-13-2014, 11:40 AM

1,623 posts, read 2,410,980 times
Call them, or better yet, email them! I had an issue with my date. I emailed them just providing my basic information. They replied that same day with my information and she moved my date. If you miss your first scheduled date, they will just send you a new date in the mail. Unless you never show up to any date ever, they will not bother with you, just reschedule. It's not a huge deal.

This will actually be my first time on a jury! I'm 33 and for some reason, I've never been asked. I think it's because I usually move once a year so whatever notice they have sent me never made it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles