U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 16,000 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend just got accepted to the American Film Institute Conservatory in LA so we'll be moving from Boston to LA this summer. We previously thought that he would be attending a different school in Playa Del Rey and fell in love with an apartment building in neighboring Marina Del Rey. I'll be working from home so I don't need to commute and would like to be in a nice walkable community like the apartment building we found on Via Marina in Marina del rey, right near the water. Are we crazy to still consider moving to Marina Del Rey if he will need to commute to AFI which is in the Hollywood Hills area, specifically 2021 North Western Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90027? Google Maps says that its about 25 miles away from Via Marina and will take about 35 minutes. How is this commute during rush hour? Any thoughts?

Any other suggestions on nice walkable neighborhoods if Marina Del Rey is just crazy? We only visited LA once a couple years ago so we really have no clue about where we should be living. We're looking for a one bedroom apartment, no less than 900 sf, for no more than $2200 in a nice apartment building with more upscale amenities such as fitness center, pool, washer/dryer in unit, etc. Near the water would be preferable but maybe that's not an option for a commute to AFI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 06:24 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,427,237 times
it's a typical commute for most Angelenos.... don't sweat it. Especially if your bf has non-standard hours, he could get to Hollywood within 45min. I know ppl who travel twice that each way. He may have to experiment to see which is the best route though. Congrats on his acceptance into AFI!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:31 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,414,084 times
i used to commute from via marina to the miracle mile (fairfax/wilshire) and that took about 35 minutes. i'm guessing it would take close to an hour in traffic to get to that part of hollywood.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 PM

Ok, 45min to an hour is definitely doable. This makes me feel a whole lot better. Thanks to both of you for the feedback!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 PM

33 posts, read 86,540 times
Hi LAmove2012, yes 45 min.-1hr drive is doable but unless you really want a complete change by living near the beach, I would reconsider as there are fantastic places to live near AFI especially for your budget. Since you will be working from home with no commute, I would consider your boyfriend's time on the road. To be honest, the commute may be fine at first, but he'll definitely get tired of it as most do. Again, key to LA is less commute. Understanding you will be new to LA & that your BF is interested in filmmaking, I'm sure explorations through the city are a must. The area by Hollywood (& WeHo), Los Feliz, and Silver Lake are great neighborhoods to live in & are a bit more central than being so wedged west in the Marina. You'll be close to really great amenities like Griffith park for hiking, Hollywood Bowl & Greek Theater for concerts, markets, coffee shops, bars, nightlife and shopping. Also, Downtown is not too far away. These areas have a nice young vibe that resonate well with young couples and you are close to several freeways for alternate routes to places. The Marina is great if your working on the Westside but all the beach areas are a pain if you want to get to the other parts of town since you have the 405 to contend with. There are so many things to check out in LA that you can always visit the beaches on the weekends.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 PM

Hi Magisan,
Thanks for the feedback. Since posting this last week we've done more and more research. We agree that we should be looking for something closer to AFI. We've found a few really nice apartment buildings just a couple miles East of AFI that are now at the top of our list. We're also looking at a couple of nice buildings near The Grove since we really like the walkability of that area . Any thoughts on The Grove area?
Thanks for your help!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:01 AM

Glad you found some potential digs that could work. Yes the Grove area is great too and is the most central area for LA's main core with much to offer. It could work for your BFs commute.... I would say average 20 min. on surface streets to AFI depending on traffic & time. He would have to experiment with streets that work best. (6th, 3rd, and Highland (below Sunset) aren't bad)

That area is traditionally called the Fairfax District or Miracle Mile depending on who you speak to where many traditional middle class Jewish families migrated after leaving the east side areas close to Downtown. The majority today are now in the Pico/Robertson area. The "Grove" mall has been a more recent development of the Fairfax Dist. around the early 2000 era which revamped the original Farmers Market (awesome and not to be missed) on La Brea blvd. Lot's of eateries and shops around and its a mixed community with young professionals seen along Wilshire Blvd during the day and sprinkled throughout. Great rental stock especially around the LACMA nestled in Museum Row (must go). You would be just south of West Hollywood the posh gay district with lots of dining, shops, bars, and nightlife. Just east is the very old money area of Hancock Park with beautiful grand older homes. Beverly hills is a just west with more dining shops etc. South of this area was traditionally middle class African American but is now very mixed. In general the areas by mid city is less homogeneous and very mixed compared to the Westside and along the coastal areas but IMHO there is a bit more culture with fantastic restaurants all over the spectrum in the mid city and east nabes. Either way.....you are looking in better spots for your needs than the Marina. Hope this helps!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:20 AM

I should add, since Derfgg is searching too and since you mentioned upscale amenities like a gym, pool, etc....check out Park La Brea apts. But the duplexes in this particular area are fantastic and on some really charming streets and would be worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or