U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Fej Fej started this thread

1 posts, read 1,690 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the rush hour commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 03:58 AM

237 posts, read 559,308 times
Yes, if you are interested in public transit option. Please go to the MTA website to download the scheduales for the rail lines for precise info. However, allow me to say the following:

You can take the Green Line from Rendondo. I believe the Green Line runs about every 7-8 minutes during the rush hours. You will need to take the Green Line to Imperial/Rosa Parks station to transfer to the Blue Line. Take the Blue Line NORTH to Downtown Los Angeles all the way to the terminus at 7th street/Metro Center to transfer to the Red Line and take it to Union Station. At Union Station, walk south (you can follow the other people doing the same thing) to the bus stop at Alameda street for access to buses serving the El Monte Busway for the 2 minute trip to the USC Med Center stop. Climb the stairs to the pedestrian bridge and cross it to the parking garage and proceed one block to the Med Center. I usually enter the north sections of the garage and make way for the 3rd floor by elevator or stairs to access the pedestrian bridge to the Med Center. A lot of people do this. It is easier and FASTER than trying to cross the street to the Med Center. OR IF YOU ARE AN EMPLOYEE, LAC+USC PROVIDES A FREE SHUTTLE AT UNION STATION DURING THE RUSH MORNINGS AND AFTERNOONS, SO YOU MAY NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE TRANSIT BUS FOR THE LAST LEG. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THE EMPLOYEE SHUTTLE.

Although there a number of transfer points, it really isn't that big of a deal because of the frequent head-ways for most of the lines and VERY short distance for transfers. You just have to go down one level for all but one transfer. It really moves pretty smoothly. Often you hardly wait any time at all those transfer can be surprisingly SMOOTH.

Here is a concise rundown regarding headway and other info:

Green Line service about every 7-8 minutes during rush. Fast and Efficient. If you start at Redondo, you will get a seat, but it can get crowded after a few stops at Aviation station. EASY one level down to Xfer to Blue Line.

Blue Line service about every 5-6 min during rush. Safe during rush and day hours. Can be crowded but pretty fast and time flies. EASY Xfer to Subway one level down.

Metro subway every 5 min during rush hours. 4 minute ride to Union Station.

Now, at Union Station, you will have to walk from the subway to the end of the Union Station property to Alameda next to the 101 Fwy. There are a number of people who do this every rush morning and afternoon who are walking to the Federal buildings or the VA. You will cross the street to the bus stop and wait for a Metro bus (or if you want to pay more, a Foothill transit bus). This is the only trick part. Most of the buses are running in the opposite direction (INTO downtown) then where you want to go. Sometimes you get lucky and get there with the bus showing up just seconds upon your arrival. Other times, I have waited close to 10 minutes, but usually less than that. I always get to my appointments early or ON TIME even with the slightly longer wait for the bus.

Another option is to take the Green Line to the Silver Line BUS at Harbor Fwy station. While the Silver Line BUS does travel fast in the HOV lanes, it can be crowded and it gets off the HOV at the south end of downtown and proceeds on streets with stops, making way to your bus stop next to Union Station, then proceeding to the USC Med Center stop. This would provide you with only ONE transfer or a "two-seat" ride, but a crowded bus is less comfortable and it might take MORE time than the many transfer rail option.

As for a car commute, I suppose utilizing the HOV lanes is the best way, unless you are traveling alone. In that case I bow to others who have more experience in that commute without using the HOV lanes. However, factor in the stress that a single occupant car commute can take on you and other costs.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:43 PM

10 posts, read 44,974 times
One public trans option is to

1) Take "Commuter Express 438" buses, which are supersafe,with people in suits on their laptops, ipad or taking naps. Commuter Express 438 - LADOT Transit Services

Once you get on the CE 438, get off at Union Station and catch the free, and safe USC shuttle to HSC. USC Shuttle times are here: Auxiliary Services | Transportation | Bus Maps & Schedules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or