U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:12 PM

374 posts, read 1,234,512 times
Default A couple of my favorite quotes about LA!

"We're crazy about this city. First time we came here, we walked the streets all day, all over town and nobody hassled us. People smiled, friendly-like, and we knew we could live here. We'd like to keep our place in Greenwich Village and have an apartment here, God and the Immigration Service willing. Los Angeles? That's just a big parking lot where you buy a hamburger for the trip to San Francisco." - John Lennon

"Isn't it nice that people who prefer Los Angeles to San Francisco live there?" - Herb Caen

These are kind of funny, but I kind of like LA - parts of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 02:01 PM

723 posts, read 2,094,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
"We're crazy about this city. First time we came here, we walked the streets all day, all over town and nobody hassled us. People smiled, friendly-like, and we knew we could live here. We'd like to keep our place in Greenwich Village and have an apartment here, God and the Immigration Service willing. Los Angeles? That's just a big parking lot where you buy a hamburger for the trip to San Francisco." - John Lennon
That quote doesn't make any sense. He (if the entire thing is attributed to Lennon) states at the beginning that "we're crazy about this city", and then at the end he calls it a parking lot???

I'll wager improper punctuation, grammar and poor typing are to blame.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
That quote doesn't make any sense. He (if the entire thing is attributed to Lennon) states at the beginning that "we're crazy about this city", and then at the end he calls it a parking lot???

I'll wager improper punctuation, grammar and poor typing are to blame.
Actually, more like lack of reading comprehension skills on your part.

The "we" is referring he and Yoko. As in, he said that while in San Francisco with Yoko. If you still can't get it, he was visiting San Francisco with Yoko, and this quote was taken when they were asked what they feel about San Francisco compared to Los Angeles. John answered for the both of them. The quote is grammatically correct.

Read the tail end of the quote again - "Los Angeles? That's just a big parking lot where you buy a hamburger for the trip to San Francisco." He's referring to Los Angeles as the big parking lot, not San Francisco! How could you possibly confuse the meaning of this statement?

I love when people who cannot even read try to slam another persons punctuation, grammar and typing.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Actually, more like lack of reading comprehension skills on your part.

The "we" is referring he and Yoko. As in, he said that while in San Francisco with Yoko. If you still can't get it, he was visiting San Francisco with Yoko, and this quote was taken when they were asked what they feel about San Francisco compared to Los Angeles. Yoko was at his side. The quote is grammatically correct.

Read the tail end of the quote again - "Los Angeles? That's just a big parking lot where you buy a hamburger for the trip to San Francisco." He's referring to Los Angeles as the big parking lot, not San Francisco! How could you possibly confuse the meaning of this statement?

I love when people who cannot even read try to slam another persons punctuation, grammar and typing.
Well then, allow me to point out your fault.

Thread title:

"A couple of my favorite quotes about LA!"

Inferring what? That quotes enclosed were about LA. Not San Francisco. Indeed, Lennon does mention LA, as a blurb, but the brunt of the quote is about what city?

Fill in the blank: ______________________________.

Queue Jeopardy theme.

Some people's kids...

Old 09-11-2007, 03:14 PM

707 posts, read 2,227,599 times
Quote:
"Isn't it nice that people who prefer Los Angeles to San Francisco live there?" - Herb Caen
Yes they do, and its funny how many San Franciscans are moving to Los Angeles. I forgot the amount of people who have posted threads about their migration to Los Angeles, not just San Francisco.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Well then, allow me to point out your fault.

Thread title:

"A couple of my favorite quotes about LA!"

Inferring what? That quotes enclosed were about LA. Not San Francisco. Indeed, Lennon does mention LA, as a blurb, but the brunt of the quote is about what city?

Fill in the blank: ______________________________.

Queue Jeopardy theme.

Some people's kids...
Get over yourself. Why do you think I posted those quotes on the LA board? Hello - because your city is a dump and SF is beautiful. We love making fun of LA up here because of all you poor souls who live in such a nasty, ugly, and superficial city that is almost completely void of any character.

Yes, I actually have a couple friends who moved from SF to LA for work - both really miss San Francisco and don't like LA much!

Old 09-11-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Get over yourself. Why do you think I posted those quotes on the LA board? Hello - because your city is a dump and SF is beautiful. We love making fun of LA up here because of all you poor souls who live in such a nasty, ugly, and superficial city that is almost completely void of any character.

Yes, I actually have a couple friends who moved from SF to LA for work - both really miss San Francisco and don't like LA much!
Have a look inside yourself at your attitude when you talk about nasty, ugly and superficial. Trolling around public forums with nothing to offer but crap. *sigh*

Watch!! Two can play at this game: SF is a dump.

Neener neener neener.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:29 PM

707 posts, read 2,227,599 times
Quote:

San Francisco is okay...its nice to visit...you can be there for about three days and see everything. You probably havent even seen all of what Los Angeles has! even I havent seen everything...from Disneyland, Universal Studios, Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu, Downtown, Pasadena, Magic Mountain, West Hollywood, The Getty Center, Miracle Mile, Hollywood, Universal city, all the film studios and museums, Beverly Hills, The Griffith Observatory, Echo Park, China town, Little Tokyo, The Aquarium of The Pacific and Im just generalizing a lot of these. Yes, I like to go to San Francisco and see the Golden state bridge and the nice architecture but it gets old after a while...but like everybody else thats just my opinion. Obviously you have nothing better to do in your city and thats why you are here bashing ours!

Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 PM
NDA

84 posts, read 282,832 times
San Francisco, the entire Bay Area and L.A are both great cities. I don't know anyone with a properly functioning brain that compares the two. They are different environments and both are great and the greatness of one city doesn't make the other city less.

Some people need to get a grip. It's all one state and a wonderfully diverse state in people and natural landscape at that.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:00 PM

332 posts, read 1,432,496 times
Collateral:
Quote:
Max: First time in L.A.?
Vincent: No. Tell you the truth, whenever I'm here I can't wait to leave. It's too sprawled out, disconnected. You know? That's me. You like it?
Max: It's my home.
Vincent: 17 million people. This is got to be the fifth biggest economy in the world and nobody knows each other. I read about this guy who gets on the MTA here, dies.
Max: Oh.
Vincent: Six hours he's riding the subway before anybody notices his corpse doing laps around L.A., people on and off sitting next to him. Nobody notices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles