Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,371 times

Advertisements

I'm a 16 yr old Australian boy and I'm travelling to Los Angeles in November with my friend, and we want to know what to do. Not like, you know, the tourist **** like Disneyland and all that stuff, we want to know what to do that local teenagers do.

Moderator cut: inappropriate Moderator cut: solicitation

We just don't want to look like Moderator cut: language losers going up to other teenagers asking to be their friends and what-not. (Wouldn't literally do that anyway.)

Thanks

Last edited by Count David; 03-18-2012 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: language; this is not the place to use to find out where to score drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Local teenagers go to Disneyland, too. What do you like to do, besides try to be cool? (Just speak, and you're cool. Americans are charmed by Australian accents.)

"Bud" has several meanings, some of which are illegal for 16-year-olds.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisflair View Post
I'm a 16 yr old Australian boy and I'm travelling to Los Angeles in November with my friend, and we want to know what to do. Not like, you know, the tourist **** like Disneyland and all that stuff, we want to know what to do that local teenagers do.

Moderator cut: inappropriate Moderator cut: solicitation

We just don't want to look like Moderator cut: language losers going up to other teenagers asking to be their friends and what-not. (Wouldn't literally do that anyway.)

Thanks
you realize, I hope, unless your friend is over 18 you will note even be able to rent a hotel room don't you or do you have family friends you will be staying wiht? As for what the teens do: they go to Disneyland for starters, and some of the other amusement parks. Kids can not drink alcohol under 21 in the united States so if you are thinking clubbing forget it. I know when our granddaughter took a semester in Australia studying, while in college, she was amazed at how much more freedom young people had. She was also amazed at how much they did drink.

Mostly kids hang out with friends, they do outside activites and the beach is a huge draw but not as much in November, as it starts cooling off about that time.

One more thing you should know, the public transportation isn't very good in So Ca and you will not be able to rent a car at all, because of your age. I hope you have considered all these things.

If you have and you are aware of your limitations, you should have a great experience.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM

237 posts, read 668,614 times
At 18 years of age one is legally an adult and age of consent in California, but can NOT consume alcohol until 21 years of age in California.

Here is what UNDER 18 local teens do in the area:

1. Hang-out with their friends
2. Go to see movies with friends
3. Go to the beach w/friends
4. Meet and hang-out and watch movies at major retail/entertainment centers such as The Block at Orange, The Grove, Americana in Glendale as a few examples.
5. Often visit the theme parks w/friends, and some even have Annual Passes they go so often.
6. Eat at In-N-Out Burger and just about any other fast food chain.

16 year olds in the US are still in compulsory education (what we call high school), and they have NO ENHANCED rights. They are still considered MINORS under the law as if they were still 6 years old. Most 16 year olds, because of their legal status, are still pretty much considered children by our society, and RARELY venture far from where they live because even IF they have a Driver's License, it is CONDITIONAL (I really am not up on the latest DMV regarding under 18 year old, but I know it is more limiting than in the past), and they can't really go far or many places, and some are still driven to thees places by their parents or if they have an older sibling or friends to drive them. Their parents may forbid them to go to certain places or fool around on a "school night," and most 16 year olds venture out at night and late hours ONLY on FRIDAY and SATURDAY, unless during the summer break from school. There is a curfew in effect for those UNDER 18 YEARS of AGE in many cities.

In other words, teens who live in South OC will frequent Irvine Spectrum, Balboa Pier and the tiny amusement area, and major shopping malls or popular retail avenues or streets. Starbucks (a national coffee house chain) can be a very popular place for teens because they can consume the hot or cold high in sugar coffee drinks and will often use it as a meeting place before venturing out, or even just hang-out there for long periods. They don't have many options because under US/California law they are still minors. This is quite different from of the UK, for instance where at 16 years they have usually finished compulsory education and have enhanced rights, hence, they can do more for fun. I don't know about Australia's system. I would love to learn from you. Now, that's for the teens who want to behave within the law.

Now, for those teens who are rouges, they do different stuff and go to rather underground quasi or full adult places and under age drink (none of the "reputable" clubs will let them in) and use other substances. My nieces did the naughty things at 16, but this stuff is all "underground" or parties of under 18 year olds that often end in FIST FIGHTS and other VIOLENCE (yes, these are the places my roguish nieces went to before 18 years) and are in SHADY areas you, as a visitor and presumably CAUCASIAN, Aussie pretty boys with fair hair and eyes, would be SORELY OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT! While LA, overall and statistically, is as safe (or safer) than it has been since the late 1950's, if you go looking for "trouble" in the wrong places as 16 y.o. being OBVIOUS out-of-towers (we can spot them miles away) with Aussie accents, YOU WILL BE A CRIME STATISTIC. It is impossible for me to communicate how thuggish and what animals the wrong people are in LA who are part of the underworld you seem to want to visit and be a part of here. While there are some 18 and over venues that offer more of an "adult" experience at night, again, they are 18 and over, not for those younger. IN THIS COUNTRY AND STATE YOU WILL STILL BE CONSIDERED "KIDS" OR EVEN "CHILDREN" UNDER THE LAW AND BY SOME PEOPLE.

Ironically, your absolute BEST place to meet other teens (16 year olds) is the very places you pooh-poohed: DISNEYLAND, KNOTT's BERRY FARM, the amusement parks. I can pretty much guarantee that if you are good looking chaps and go to Disneyland and approach some 16 year old gals and start talking in your Aussie accent and say that you both just don't know what to do here could they help, the girls will immediately adopt you.

If you are looking for naughty (illegal action), forget it. The US laws will apply to you while you are here and people and the coppers here will think it is VERY odd, irresponsible, and "wrong," even "SCANDALOUS" for two 16 years olds to come to the USA without an adult, and you'll just in more trouble than you care to. LA itself is no amusement park itself 16 year olds to be wandering at night.

Good luck, and tell us if what the legal status is for 16 year olds in Australia.

Last edited by HarryKerry; 03-18-2012 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 07:45 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Maybe go to San Francisco instead where you won't need a car.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM

237 posts, read 668,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
That's a great suggestion.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Odds are 'enhanced' that you'll find what you're looking for in SF (try the Haight), whether you intend to mine the 'rogue' lot or not.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
The only thing is, I think there's even less for a 16-yo to do SF.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The only thing is, I think there's even less for a 16-yo to do SF.
i agree with you,

you can rely on subway and rail if you go to hollywood, Long Beach, Downtown, and Wilshire. Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Malibu, Beverly Hills, and WeHo you will probably need to take a taxi, or bus (if you dont have an adult accompanying you.

if you decide to go to south Los Angeles Metropolitan Area like OC to go to the theme parks and do other stuff you can take the Metrolink.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:13 AM

4 posts, read 9,935 times
In this country and state you will still be considered "kids" or even "children" under the law and by some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles