U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-11-2007, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 12,994 times
Default Public Transport

Does anyone in LA use public transport to commute to and from work and to generally get around town or does everyone drive? I currently live in London and get buses and tubes all over the city, I appreciate that L.A doesn’t have the transport network we have here, but I don’t think anything of an hours commute to work every morning to work. Also even if I wanted I couldn’t afford to run a car let alone pay for the parking permits and congestion charge to drive into the city centre everyday.

Just read a lot of posts on here where people complain about the traffic and long commutes and was interested what a ‘long commute’ classed as and how bad is the public transport.

Feel free to share your thoughts, are you really that reliant on the car? I was just interested........

Bobster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 01:58 PM

723 posts, read 2,136,879 times
I consider a long commute anything over 20 minutes (traffic or no traffic).

But then, I ride a motorcycle- everyday. Unless you move within walking distance of your job, you will need something to get around on/in. [Pedal] biking is an option. I recommend living near where your industry is located, and getting a scooter.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:40 PM

3,082 posts, read 6,354,612 times
(All times one-way)
- For some people, a long commute means 2.5 hours. ONE WAY!
- To me, anything over 30 minutes is a long commute.

Used to live:
- 30 mins commute by car. No other options.

Then lived:
- 5 mins commute by bike. Nice. Lousy area, though.

Now live:
- 1 hour by bike (usual)
- Driving it's 15-45 mins dep on traffic (once every 2 weeks or so).
- Bus it's 45 relaxing mins (when it rains).

Thinking about moving to:
- 45 to and hour+ by car.
- 1+ hours by train/bike.

If you want to take public transportation, the best idea is to live on the same bus/rail/subway that you take to work. Transfers take forever and the subways are on a hub-and-spoke design, so you have to ride downtown, transfer, and then ride back out.

Public transportation is do-able, but there's so much to do in this city, it seems like a waste to spend 1-2 hours every day sitting on/in a car/train/bus. Cars are the worst, though, because you can't do anything else except drive and maybe listen to the radio. Bikes are the best because they combine a cardio workout with travelling. Unfortunately bike paths are hard to come by and riding on the streets is dangerous.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:21 PM

707 posts, read 2,271,617 times
My friend lives in Van Nuys and works in Hollywood and he doesnt drive. He just takes the orange line(Metro Bus) to the red line(train/subway) in North Hollywood and he ends up at his job in Hollywood for just $5 a day. I like taking the metro bus and trains as well because during traffic hours its a lot faster and it also saves you money on gas. $5 for the day pass and you can ride all day wherever you wish to go.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:18 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,100,130 times
Default Getting better

Public transportation in LA has come a long way in recent years. LA is a big place area wise, so no matter what, it'll probably never be as easy to traverse as geographically smaller cities. Here are a couple of resources to keep close by for getting around on buses, light rail and commuter trains:

socaltransport.org | Metro Bus and Rail Trip Planner for Los Angeles and surrounding Counties
Metrolink :: Welcome
Amtrak > Schedules > Pacific Surfliner
Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition - Bicycle Advocacy - LACBC

Also keep in mind that you can bring your bike on most buses and trains in the southern CA.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 PM

225 posts, read 774,746 times
The big difference between L.A. and London has to do with the speed of public and private transport. In London public transport is usually quicker, at least if you are going to Westminster or the City. In L.A. cars are usually quicker. Also, driving here is a lot less miserable than driving in London.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:26 AM

634 posts, read 1,966,253 times
I used to take a public bus. It was a challenge trying not to touch anything on it. If you're going to use a public bus, be sure to bring napkins or something you can use to pull on the signal line so you don't have to touch it with your bare hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles