U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 PM

362 posts, read 682,055 times

Advertisements

If you end up on the westside, I'd recommend avoiding the 405 all together and taking the fun scenic rally-like Sepulveda route past the Getty to Ventura Blvd... You'll still probably hate life during those days that you do have to commute though ;p

(and as others have pointed out, the $1200 rent will be a challenge unless you are copacetic with finding a roommate situation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM

7,092 posts, read 18,452,467 times
the 405 is not good, but once you get north of santa monica blvd it moves just fine (60mph+), which is why i recommended west LA. i used to commute from marina del rey to sherman oaks and it was a pretty easy commute, the hardest part was getting past the 10 freeway. you may also hit some congestion along the 101 as you get close to woodland hills, but there are non-freeway options once you are the valley.

if you choose to live in the valley, i would choose sherman oaks over studio city purely because of proximity to woodland hills. sherman oaks around ventura/van nuys is a very walkable neighborhood with plenty of bars to choose from and is only about 1.5 miles east of the dreaded 405/101 interchange.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 PM

22 posts, read 28,665 times
I'm noting that many of you are saying the 405/101 interchange is the worst to get by. Are there any viable routes to avoid this area? That's assuming, of course, that I end up in Studio City - which is where I'm leaning, as I'd like to be able to go to West Hollywood a night or two a week.

Also, since I'm flexible, would commuting at 7am or 10am make any difference? (i.e., are there times when traffic is at it's worst?)

Old 03-20-2012, 03:24 PM

4,035 posts, read 8,319,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill12 View Post
I'm noting that many of you are saying the 405/101 interchange is the worst to get by. Are there any viable routes to avoid this area? That's assuming, of course, that I end up in Studio City - which is where I'm leaning, as I'd like to be able to go to West Hollywood a night or two a week.

Also, since I'm flexible, would commuting at 7am or 10am make any difference? (i.e., are there times when traffic is at it's worst?)
No way around it. No the times won't make a difference. It's reapply not that horrible...about a 35 min morning commute

Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM

Great information!

One other questions, what if I were to choose to live in Brentwood, the area just north of Santa Montica off of the 405. Would this commute be better, worse, or just the same?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM

156 posts, read 328,184 times
woodland hills or vicinity is doable on that salary

Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 AM

927 posts, read 2,101,029 times
Quote:
Great information!

One other questions, what if I were to choose to live in Brentwood, the area just north of Santa Montica off of the 405. Would this commute be better, worse, or just the same?
I'd think it'd be about the same. The problem with living on the Westside and working in Woodland Hills, is that you have a mountain to go over and the 405 is really the only main path to get there. Yes, you could take side roads, but I don't think they'd be much faster.

The key to LA: Live close to where you work.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:55 AM

68 posts, read 131,022 times
Quote:
Great information!

Don't do it! Stay in the valley if you work in woodland hills. The traffic will kill you literally. It might be ok if this is a short term job, but you will burn out quickly.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Thank you all very much for your responses.

I returned last night from visiting Los Angeles exploring where I would live, work, and play. While there, I stayed in West Hollywood and attempted the commute to Woodland Hills. It took about 40 minutes the route I took, but I know that there are several possible routes to take.

Since I'm young, single, with minimal responsibilities, a decent paying job (60K), I feel living in West Hollywood would be best suited for me at first. Let me first mention, I do have the ability to work from home 2-3 days per week, so I plan to commute to the office 2-3 days per week.

Thoughts on a commute from West Hollywood to Woodland Hills (near the Warner Center)? I.e., best routes to take, time of day to travel, days to travel?

Thank you all SO much for your replies. You're truly life-savers!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 PM

7,092 posts, read 18,452,467 times
laurel canyon to the 101 is by far the best way to get from weho to woodland hills. without traffic, it takes me under 30 minutes to get from encino to the sunset strip using these roads, so your 40 minute observation seems about right on a normal day. in the mornings just make sure to stay in the left lanes of the 101 as you approach the 405 since the transition lanes cause quite the bottleneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or