U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM

22 posts, read 26,233 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to LA from the Midwest with my job. My office will be located in Woodland Hills, CA. I'd like to live somewhere with mid-20 year olds. My salary is 60k and I can afford about $1200 per month on rent. I can also work from home 2-3 days per week so no commute would be needed.

Any advice on where to live? Commute time?

Thanks!
J

Last edited by David Aguilar; 03-20-2012 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: formatting removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 AM

3,842 posts, read 7,615,664 times
Woodland Hills, Encino, and Tarzana are all nice enough. Personally I'd live in those places just because its close to work...no more than 15-20 minute drive, if that.

If you must live in an area with younger people, Studio City is closest. The problem will be getting by the 405/101 interchange. This cannot be avoided by using surface streets(those east/west streets get jammed around the 405 at rush hour). So you'd have about a 30-35 minute morning drive. You'd want to be closest to Ventura Bl as possible. The area around Laurel Canyon/Ventura Bl. always seemed to have a high concentration of younger people.

Your budget of $1200 for a one bedroom apartment is more than sufficient.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 AM

Thanks for your reply. Any thoughts on a commute from Santa Montica to Woodland Hills?

Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 AM

164 posts, read 502,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill12 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Any thoughts on a commute from Santa Montica to Woodland Hills?
You will hate life with that commute. It'll be 60-90 minutes each way. And a lot of it will be crawling at 5-10 miles an hour. You'll be taking the 405 to the 101, and that stretch of the 405 is amongst the worst in the entire nation for traffic.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 AM

7,009 posts, read 17,294,998 times
SM to WH is a reverse commute, but it still wouldn't be easy. also $1200 in SM won't get you much, maybe a rundown 1br in one of the less desirable areas of the city. if you need to be on the westside for social reasons, i'd liver closer to the 405 in a neighborhood such as west LA. i'd also recommend westwood and brentwood, but i'm not sure your budget will hold up in those places.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:34 PM

448 posts, read 1,258,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
SM to WH is a reverse commute, but it still wouldn't be easy. also $1200 in SM won't get you much, maybe a rundown 1br in one of the less desirable areas of the city. if you need to be on the westside for social reasons, i'd liver closer to the 405 in a neighborhood such as west LA. i'd also recommend westwood and brentwood, but i'm not sure your budget will hold up in those places.
Even in Brentwood, Westwood, your nightmare will be the 405 freeway. Trust me, i've been in it and it does NOT move during rush hour. Nowadays, rush hour is more like rush several hours.

You'll want to stay in the valley. I live in NoHo and work in Woodland Hills 2 days out of the week, the rest at home. I take Burbank Blvd 80% of the way, then hop on the 101 where Burbank Blvd ends. The commute is a breeze in less than 30 minutes. The youngest demographic of the Valley is NoHo and Studio City. If these 2 nabes are not to your liking, try Sherman Oaks, which is a bit closer to WH. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 PM

16 posts, read 33,797 times
Hey man I actually just moved to Woodland Hills from out of state into a 2 br apartment with a roommate at a very large condo complex that has pools, tennis,basketball, gym for 1895/mo.

I am about to turn 24, work out of the house and travel all over LA for work(Electrical Field Engineer) and for being here for almost 2 months now, I am ready to try to find a spot in another area that is more walkable (by that I mean several bars in one area). I have noticed there aren't too many bars around here, I usually end up going to hollywood, santa monica or the strip to go "out". There are a few dives and some other ones that don't stay open after midnight. However, there is basically every store/mall you can think of and some good restaurants around

I'm gonna start looking at Burbank, Los Feliz and maybe even Studio City/NoHo. The 101/405 merger does suck during rush hour big time, but its pretty clear at night for the most part after 8pm. I'll be interested to read the rest of these posts because I'm still in a similar situation.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM

16 posts, read 33,797 times
And I'm at 71k with alot of bills, so we are in a pretty close range.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 AM

Glad to know Woodland Hills isn't the place for me. While I wish I could live closer to work, I'd rather drive to work and live in an area that suits my lifestyle. At this point, I'm really targeting the Studio City area near 101. I figure half the battle is getting to the freeway.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:20 AM

3,842 posts, read 7,615,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill12 View Post
Glad to know Woodland Hills isn't the place for me. While I wish I could live closer to work, I'd rather drive to work and live in an area that suits my lifestyle. At this point, I'm really targeting the Studio City area near 101. I figure half the battle is getting to the freeway.

No. All of Studio City is close to the 101 freeway(within a half mile unless you are up in the hills, which on you're budget, you won't be). 80% of the battle will be getting past the 405 freeway. Once you are there, its an easy drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles