Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:32 PM

8 posts, read 21,867 times

Advertisements

I have been here for a little over a year and trying to find a place to call home. I came here for 2 weeks and never went back because of business. So here I am in woodland hills and looking for a nicer place to live. Does anyone have a suggestion where a New Yorker may fit in and find some happiness? I'm 42 , single and looking to not be isolated but not really a bar person. I know a few people but would like to be more social. This is a desperate cry for help lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 11:13 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
try downtown LA, west hollywood, santa monica, and westwood.

downtown LA has tons of new loft apartment and condos going up. west hollywood-you probably know what its known for-is a very social environment. santa monica is kind of a mix of the two. westwood may be for the younger crowd, but its still a great city.

also try pasadena or downtown long beach

Old 09-11-2007, 11:20 PM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
try downtown LA, west hollywood, santa monica, and westwood.

downtown LA has tons of new loft apartment and condos going up. west hollywood-you probably know what its known for-is a very social environment. santa monica is kind of a mix of the two. westwood may be for the younger crowd, but its still a great city.

also try pasadena or downtown long beach
I think I'd much rather live in Woodland Hills than in downtown LA or West Hollywood.
WH is a much nicer area and Ventura Blvd is nearby... a lot of social activities there!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 PM

i know but the OP said that want to get away

Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 PM

Im close to Ventura now. What are the social activities around here? I really need to get out more and meet some people....

Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInLA View Post
Im close to Ventura now. What are the social activities around here? I really need to get out more and meet some people....
ventura isnt exactly known for its liveliness. its more family orientated. but, most of the activity occurs, of course, in the downtown area. i see on google earth that most of the bars and restaurants are near thompson blvd exit off the 1o1 in downtown ventura. also, try cruising down east main street and east thompon blvd between ann st and seaward ave. then, search the area near the intersection of thompson blvd and telegraph road.

in thousand oaks, cruise thousand oaks blvd between westlake blvd and moorpark road. then try moorpark road between the 1o1 and east wilbur road

Old 09-12-2007, 12:02 AM

thanks everyone please keep the info coming in

Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I think I'd much rather live in Woodland Hills than in downtown LA or West Hollywood.
WH is a much nicer area and Ventura Blvd is nearby... a lot of social activities there!
Woodland Hills is nowhere near as nice of an area as West Hollywood, unless one's elderly.

As for downtown: depends where. There are nice parts of downtown and there are not so nice parts of downtown.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:22 AM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Woodland Hills is nowhere near as nice of an area as West Hollywood, unless one's elderly.

As for downtown: depends where. There are nice parts of downtown and there are not so nice parts of downtown.
I don't know the actual statistics, but I would guess that Woodland Hills is a safer area than West Hollywood. Meaning less crime.
Woodland Hills also has nice, wide streets; as most people know, many streets in W. Hollywood are narrow and parking is a problem. More traffic in West Hollywood, too.

As a rule, too, many of the homes in Woodland Hills are quite large (and expensive) especially south of the boulevard.

Given a choice, I would definitely choose W. Hills. Several malls in the area (Topanga Plaza, The Prominade, Fallbrook mall), hotels, many shops and nightclubs on Ventura Blvd., etc.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:37 AM

74 posts, read 195,680 times
There's more stuff going on around downtown, Hollywood, Santa Monica/Venice, etc. It's not just restaurants. There are cultural events, social organizations, clubs, benefits, one-time events, politics, etc. The city-like areas, like Pasadena and Culver City, are comparatively dead culturally, even though they are lively with a lot of shopping and eating. Ventura Bl. is okay, but still kind of dead compared to the areas over the hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles