Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 02:52 PM

986 posts, read 1,865,956 times

Advertisements

I know there are so many of these kinds of threads, but I really love the individual input based on specific criteria and appreciate your time and opinions.

After much thought and consideration, my boyfriend and I have decided to move to LA at the end of the summer. We are from the East Coast and have both lived in NYC for years. We have many friends out there, as we've worked in the film industry for years. My boyfriend would be getting film production work out there and I currently work for an athletic clothing company that has multiple locations in LA (Santa Monica, Glendale, Brentwood, Hollywood) but could potentially go back into film production when I'm out there, so I'd say it's important that we live somewhat close to the major studios (30-45 min commute or less if possible). We are looking to spend no more than $1750 for a studio or 1-bedroom.

What's important to us:
- bungalows/small home neighborhoods - not into the giant gated apartment complexes
- walkable or bikeable neighborhood with cafes, bars, shops, groceries, maybe a movie theatre?
- green space
- good area for young professionals in their twenties

Any suggestions? I've heard Silver Lake, Los Feliz, and Toluca Lake are good places to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 05:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Those are fine places. Everyone always says to get something as close to the job as you can. I don't know if "film production work" means a specific place or not though so you might end up commuting far anyway.

The good thing about renting is being able to move. I don't think there is a perfect place but Silverlake is where my daughter lives and she likes it and for that budget you could get a nice place.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the input!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 AM

135 posts, read 285,194 times
You can easily do that for $1750/mo.

Silverlake = older, vibey, artsy. Because it's older, there are some sketchy areas. Visit before you commit. Don't rent any place sight-unseen.

Los Feliz = same as Silverlake, but can be a little more uppity

Toluca Lake = San Fernando Valley, so it's quieter and one valley removed, slightly longer commute (but not a big deal).

All three places are nice. If you have that kind of budget, do you want beach? You could find your way to Santa Monica (or similar) and enjoy the best of Los Angeles. Santa Monica is more expensive, but if you can afford it...

There are creative types all over the city so it's hard to pinpoint how one area will benefit you more professionally than another area, but...yeah...try Santa Monica...I'm just feeling it for you guys.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 AM

49 posts, read 159,694 times
Well if you are considering looking for a place near studios, may i suggest Burbank. You will find multiple studios including Warner Brothers, Cartoonetwork, and NBC Studios. Also it is one of the cleanest city's in CA or even America period. great for a young couple. lots of shops and eating out near the Burbank town center. You say your considering the Toluca Lake area: thats also a good choice. You'll be right near the freeway and the NOHO Arts District where you'll find theaters and bars, along with places to eat out and the Redline Subway. Its not a bad place to live either but it can get a little sketchy but its cool. You may also want to consider Studio city, where there are plenty of places to eat out and its very luxurious. Or Valley Village, which is a small community made up of mostly single family homes but there are still very nice apartment buildings in the area, its worth checking out. Just i little further to the west is Sherman oaks where you'll find lots of places for adults to shop, eat, and hang out. Now if you want to move to Santa Monica, your commute is going to be HELL, period. the 405 if a freaking parking lot and the streets are just the same. it will drive you crazy. but it is a nice area with lots to do too. Well best of luck!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:37 AM

135 posts, read 285,194 times
+1 on Valley Village - great little town, and the closer you live to the 170, the faster you can get into Hollywood.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gdd View Post
Well if you are considering looking for a place near studios, may i suggest Burbank. You will find multiple studios including Warner Brothers, Cartoonetwork, and NBC Studios. Also it is one of the cleanest city's in CA or even America period. great for a young couple. lots of shops and eating out near the Burbank town center. You say your considering the Toluca Lake area: thats also a good choice. You'll be right near the freeway and the NOHO Arts District where you'll find theaters and bars, along with places to eat out and the Redline Subway. Its not a bad place to live either but it can get a little sketchy but its cool. You may also want to consider Studio city, where there are plenty of places to eat out and its very luxurious. Or Valley Village, which is a small community made up of mostly single family homes but there are still very nice apartment buildings in the area, its worth checking out. Just i little further to the west is Sherman oaks where you'll find lots of places for adults to shop, eat, and hang out. Now if you want to move to Santa Monica, your commute is going to be HELL, period. the 405 if a freaking parking lot and the streets are just the same. it will drive you crazy. but it is a nice area with lots to do too. Well best of luck!
Great info! Thank you.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 AM

79 posts, read 178,928 times
No, don't do Burbank.

Santa Monica, Hollywood proper, Echo Park, Silverlake, Downtown, all walkable/bikeable/ near major film studios. Burbank is just so... soulless.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Actually except for the distance I would consider Pasadena, but of the areas you are talking about Silverlake would be my first choice. Where do most of your friends live? Ask them, that would be the way to start or to weed out some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles