Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 04:14 PM

53 posts, read 175,582 times

Advertisements

The last time I took a MTA bus in Los Angeles (after the TAP Card came out), the bus driver got all weird on me and made a big stink that I should have gotten a Day Pass via a TAP card. I had a $5 bill in hand (the exact amount), however he reluctantly took my money and gave me some sort of narrow strip of paper representing a Paper Day Pass. When I used the pass to transfer throughout the day, I got strange looks from the MTA drivers when I flashed this narrow strip of paper to board the bus. I’m not sure why this was such a big issue for them.

I would purchase the MTA Day Pass at one of their light rail stations, but the closest station is like 4 miles from my house. When I tried to buy a Day Pass (yesterday) at my local check cashing place, they wanted to charge me like $2.50 just for the TAP card AND $5 on top of that. Since I wanted to use the Day Pass (yesterday at least) and get another Day Pass for another day, the clerk wanted to charge me $2.50 for each TAP Card and then load $5 on each card. I did not mind paying $2.50 for TAP Card if I could load $10 on it, if I could use the same card at least 2 separate day, and as long as the TAP Card was reloadable. Yet the clerk did not tell me there was no other way to do this. So I walked out and did not buy either card. So in essence, I would have had to spend $15 to buy “2" two Day Passes. WHAT THE HECK?!?

I remember before that TAP card came out, I was always able to easily ask for a "paper" Day Pass, and the MTA driver would quickly give me one . . . with no issue.

Yet my question is, can I still get a “paper” Day Pass on an MTA bus nowadays, without all of the hassles & grief from the MTA drivers?

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 07:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Uh, just get a TAP card? I think when you get on the bus you can just load a $5 day pass onto them from the driver. Maybe call Metro and see if you can get a free one, I live in Long Beach and a few weeks ago I got a letter from Metro saying they'd send me a free 5-day pass on a free TAP card as a welcome to the area, so I filled out the form and it arrived a few days ago. If you live in LA County maybe you can get one if you just ask.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM

396 posts, read 906,346 times
A tap card is reloadable and you can put a set amount on it. I am not sure if stores are able to do it but I know the ticket machines in the subway are able to load amounts on the tap card.

HOWEVER, make sure you buy a day pass. As the tap card is unable to count the times you use it during a day. So if you tap it four times, without a day pass loaded on it, it'll just charge you 4 times. Thus you're spending $6 instead of $5.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM

Thank you very much Mayorhaggar, and Senshi. I appreciate your help.

Mayorhaggar, how AWESOME that you were able to get a free 5-day pass. WOW!!!

Senshi, thank you for taking the time to explain to me how this works in better detail. Since I need to use the MTA tomorrow, I’m going to be in the situation of where I need a day-pass again. Yet I’m still not sure how the reloading process works, so I will ask that question in another posts, with the hopes that someone will give me an answer between now and tomorrow morning.

Thanks again, you two!

Nick

Old 04-02-2012, 05:31 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I looked on the Metro website and I couldn't find anything about getting a free pass like I did. I did some googling and got some dead pages about past deals for 3-day passes. Maybe call up Metro and mention that someone you know got a free 5-day pass, and ask nicely for the same consideration.

And this explains how to load a tap card, you can do it on the bus but it looks like you can only do that for a day pass. I guess you can get a card for $1 from the driver, you put $6 in the till and he gives you the reusable TAP card with the $5 day pass on it. Keep the pass and load it with a day pass whenever you need one.

http://www.metro.net/around/fares/load-tap-card/

Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
Wouldn't it be nice if we could use our smart phones as a replacement for TAP cards? There should be an app for that.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I looked on the Metro website and I couldn't find anything about getting a free pass like I did. I did some googling and got some dead pages about past deals for 3-day passes. Maybe call up Metro and mention that someone you know got a free 5-day pass, and ask nicely for the same consideration.

And this explains how to load a tap card, you can do it on the bus but it looks like you can only do that for a day pass. I guess you can get a card for $1 from the driver, you put $6 in the till and he gives you the reusable TAP card with the $5 day pass on it. Keep the pass and load it with a day pass whenever you need one.

http://www.metro.net/around/fares/load-tap-card/
Mayorhaggar, thank you so very much for your help once again and the MTA link. I'm going to try to follow the instructions like your link says, and I will hope and pray that it works exactly as MTA states that it will. However, since I often have bad luck when trying brand new things when there is a line of people waiting behind me , I'm not going to get overly optimistic at my first try at trying to reload my TAP Card on a MTA bus. Yet as near as I can figure how this should work is, I board the bus, insert $5 into the fare machine, tell the driver I want a day-pass, the driver presses a button, then I tap my TAP Card on the TAP Card gizmo on the fare machine, then I should hear a beep (that tells me that my card is loaded with the day-pass), and I am then free to use my card as much as I want until midnight on that day.

It sounds simple and easy enough to do this (while reading this), but doing it in person with a line of people behind me "may" be a different story. LOL!!! Yet I wonder when I asked for a day-pass the first time (a long while back), why the driver did not tell me about using the TAP Card then (since it was fairly new at the time, but I did not know how TAP cards worked and guessed that it was the modern "monthly bus pass", but I was aware of them at that time), rather than give me grief over the whole TAP Card business, where I could have purchased one on the spot right then and there, instead of him giving me that narrow slip of paper to use as my day-pass for the day.

Thanks again, Mayorhaggar.

Wrcousert, that would be a COOL idea!

Nick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles