Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 PM

20 posts, read 68,407 times

Advertisements

Have'nt been there since 1991! Moved to Northern Cali when it started to get bad. Just going for a weekend, but not sure where to stay. Going alone.....so good areas, bad areas, better than others? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 AM

49 posts, read 159,678 times
Hello, well im new to this forum as of tonight but i live in Valley Village in the valley. my grandfather lives in Van Nuys and i have traveled with him through that area when i lived with him for a few months to help take care of him. Though the place is still ghetto in general, there are still little pockets in van Nuys that are actually very nice. as far as shopping and entertainment, you aren't going to find anything but Latino shops and signs you cant even read because they are in Spanish. you also must stay away from panorama city for sure. when you come, you will be better off going just a couple miles south to Sherman oaks or head down to the NOHO arts district. hope i helped. Oh and bye the way between Sepulveda to the west, Oxnard to the north, Hazletine to the east is now Sherman oaks. has been for a couple of years now and i say rightfully so but thats another subject so dont be surprised. Hoped i helped.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 AM

135 posts, read 285,179 times
Van Nuys has really gone down the tubes. It's mostly ghetto, with only a rare nice area here and there (and when I say that, I mean quiet neighborhood streets that have still retained their charm).

No good suggestions for where to stay.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:30 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,808 times
What's your budget? What areas would be acceptable (e.g., just Van Nuys? also Sherman Oaks or North Hollywood, etc.?). Have you looked at Hotwire and Priceline (be sure to look at their geographic divisions; they're different for each service, and you need to be willing to accept someplace anywhere in the area(s) you designate). Look at www.betterbidding.com to see what others have gotten. Last time we stayed in the Valley it was at the Marriott over at the Burbank Airport (got a good price through www.aa.com, though had to pay for parking). How about Sportsmen's Lodge? The Airtel at Van Nuys Airport? If you look at sites such as Expedia, Orbitz, etc. and first look for Van Nuys, then surrounding sections of the Valley, you may find somethng.

"Ghetto" is a term tossed around quite lightly here.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:06 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,861 times
Most of the nice areas of Van Nuys have been absorbed by neighboring council districts, namely Valley Glen, Lake Balboa and Sherman Oaks. In around 10 years, Van Nuys will be dwindled down to one square block.

What part of Van Nuys will you visiting? Do you know around what intersection you want to land? Is this to reminisce the old days? Likely the area you want is in one of the three neighborhoods I listed above.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM

20 posts, read 68,407 times
I used to live at Valerio and Woodman, but i don't want to stay in that area. The plan is to see the house i grew up in and look around at good old Van Nuys. I have heard it's changed and not in a good way.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM

541 posts, read 861,081 times
I have relatives that still own a home in Van Nuys. I recently stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Sherman Oaks and drove to Van Nuys to meet them (took Ventura blvd. to Sepulveda, etc.). It was a nice Hotel as I remember it and the pricing was reasonable too.

I remember Van Nuys back in 1991 as well. Still a few nice areas on the side streets.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaFrapQueen View Post
I used to live at Valerio and Woodman, but i don't want to stay in that area. The plan is to see the house i grew up in and look around at good old Van Nuys. I have heard it's changed and not in a good way.
So you were just down the street from Amanda Blake (Miss Kitty on "Gunsmoke")? We lived on Wyandotte, between Woodman and Ranchito. I also wouldn't look for any motels/hotels close by (not sure there are any). There are several on Sepulveda. I'd like to stay at the Airtel sometime. I've heard that part of the airport set from the end of "Casablanca" was restored somewhere on the airport grounds.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 AM

128 posts, read 455,218 times
Van nuys is nothing short of smaller version of mexico city ......... Not only a ghetto, a complete dump of a place, yet another example of what heppens when checked immigration is ignored . Blame the gov. ..........

Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
There are still nice pockets in van nuys and panorama city. Have not tried the Hotels, but a friend stayed at the Holiday Inn and was okay with it (2 yrs ago, single guy..). The area closer to Sherman Oaks is safer. In Pan City, the Eastern area has nice pockets, but no hotels that I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles