Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:07 PM

25 posts, read 54,027 times

Advertisements

hi all - I'm about to move from San Diego to Los Angeles and couldn't be more excited. I'm originally from OC, but am not particularly familiar with LA (I lived in Pasadena for a year a few years ago but that was it). I'll be working downtown (Spring and 1st st) and am looking for a good neighborhood to live in. I'm early 30s with a small dog (under 15 lbs), single (but definitely not the partying type). I'd like my commute to be under 40 min each way (if possible). So far i've narrowed down my neighborhoods to Los Feliz, Silverlake, and possibly West Hollywood. I'm looking for a 1-bdrm and can afford about $1600/mo. I'd like my place to have parking included, and obviously needs to be pet-friendly. Would appreciate any recs! thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 03:46 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,606,885 times
Why not downtown itself? If you have doubts, hit up the area on Spring St between 5th and 7th any time....there's a few restaurants/taco stands on the west side of the street and a couple bars on the east side of the street. If that is too gritty for you, there also south park and the financial district. The Market lofts or the Pegasus are good starting points, and you can take the Redline subway from 7th/fig to 1st/Hill.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM

thanks! i had ruled out downtown b/c i do think it's a little too gritty for me, and i'd also like some physical space between my apt and work (i walk to work right now in SD, and sometimes i feel a little claustrophobic because it's so close by). will check out those other areas, though. thank you!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,150,283 times
did you enjoy living in pasadena? if so, you could always go back there. you wouldn't even have to drive as there is a gold line stop a few blocks away.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 PM

i did like pasadena, but i don't think i'd want to live there again. it was a little too quiet for me, and plus i'd like to live in actual-LA, if that makes sense. public transit is probably out because my hours are going to be irregular (i.e. some late nights), so I need to live somewhere close enough where traffic will not make me crazy, kwim?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,004,356 times
What about Silver Lake, Echo Park or Los Feliz?

Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 AM

67 posts, read 128,098 times
Are you looking for NYC vibe. Because, it doesn't exist here in so cal. LA is really one huge barrio. West LA is busier than Pasadena but so is the traffic. Far more congested and driving on the 10 fwy to downtown is bit of a headache. Born and lived in NYC, moved out to LA for 30 yrs.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,973,444 times
I didn't see anywhere in the OP's post that suggests a NYC vibe is what he/she is seeking.

LA is one huge barrio? And NYC is one huge guido fest, right?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:41 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,973,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamlet96 View Post
hi all - I'm about to move from San Diego to Los Angeles and couldn't be more excited. I'm originally from OC, but am not particularly familiar with LA (I lived in Pasadena for a year a few years ago but that was it). I'll be working downtown (Spring and 1st st) and am looking for a good neighborhood to live in. I'm early 30s with a small dog (under 15 lbs), single (but definitely not the partying type). I'd like my commute to be under 40 min each way (if possible). So far i've narrowed down my neighborhoods to Los Feliz, Silverlake, and possibly West Hollywood. I'm looking for a 1-bdrm and can afford about $1600/mo. I'd like my place to have parking included, and obviously needs to be pet-friendly. Would appreciate any recs! thanks so much
Based on your criteria, I suggest the following areas (most of which you've already highlighted):
Miracle Mile area (La Brea Ave/Whilshire Blvd)
Los Feliz
Silverlake
West Holllywood

Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 AM

106 posts, read 170,911 times
You should definitely reconsider downtown. For your rent budget and your communte requirements, I think you'll find downtown the best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles