Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,338,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNPLAYBOY310 View Post
There really is no southern hospitality, the people are just as rude and inconsiderate as anywhere else.

The traffic here is better but there are WAY more drunk drivers. Especially out in the country, it's like they dont' respect the DUI rules at all. Probably because they aren't being enforced here.
They ain't southern. They're Texan and if you ain't Texan, you ain't.

Only way you'll get pulled over for throwin' an open beer can out the window of your car in Texas is if there's still beer in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 05:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,782,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
They ain't southern. They're Texan and if you ain't Texan, you ain't.

Only way you'll get pulled over for throwin' an open beer can out the window of your car in Texas is if there's still beer in it.
Extra ticket for no gun on the rack in the truck.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:09 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,937,214 times
A lot of people unjustly give LA flak for not having a "real" downtown or being underdeveloped in that department. But downtown Houston really did not impress me. From the outside looking in it's impressive but at the street level there is nothing. Just parking lots and the lobbys of big buildings. It doesn't have the urban "feel" or it doesn't feel as dense or as vibrant as LA does. DT Houston just felt like a giant Century City, a bunch of offices and that's it. I didn't like that. I know Houston is the 4th largest city in the US but I can't really compare it to NY, LA or Chicago. I just can't. I hate to talk down on Houston, it's not my intention but I feel that it's worth mentioning. For all the crap DT LA gets, it comes off as mere prejudice when other major cities lack even more than LA.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:06 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,048,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
A lot of people unjustly give LA flak for not having a "real" downtown or being underdeveloped in that department. But downtown Houston really did not impress me. From the outside looking in it's impressive but at the street level there is nothing. Just parking lots and the lobbys of big buildings. It doesn't have the urban "feel" or it doesn't feel as dense or as vibrant as LA does. DT Houston just felt like a giant Century City, a bunch of offices and that's it. I didn't like that. I know Houston is the 4th largest city in the US but I can't really compare it to NY, LA or Chicago. I just can't. I hate to talk down on Houston, it's not my intention but I feel that it's worth mentioning. For all the crap DT LA gets, it comes off as mere prejudice when other major cities lack even more than LA.
As much as I love LA, I really think it is largely splitting hairs when comparing downtown LA to downtown Houston.

Downtown LA does have a little larger historic downtown district no doubt, but whatever catapults LA over Houston, it is because of what is outside downtown LA. But thats still saying a lot though, because Houston is still enormous.

But its bigger than a larger Century City. Uptown Houston/Galleria area is more comparable to a larger Century City.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 AM

395 posts, read 705,587 times
Quote:
So I left LA a little over a year ago for Houston. I wasn't making much money 43k and working for a small company with a jerk of an owner. I just finished my Masters in Engineering and couldn't find a job. On top of that I just had my second child and needed a place where I could afford more than a 2 br condo. So I moved with my wife to Houston, before I even got here I got a job offer. As soon as I got to Houston I had a few more job offers and started making 80k. I rent a 3br house for 1200 (cheaper than my condo in LA) and I'm buying a brand new 3200 sq ft house hopefully this month for $270k. So clearly the quality of my life has improved significantly, but there are a LOT of things I miss about LA.

You will never have better weather than So Cal. My first summer in Houston it was over 100 and humid from June to September, no freaking kidding. Also the temperature didn't drop at night, it stayed in the 80s. Even the winter was pretty warm.

The people here are terrible. My very first day of training some white guy with a cowboy hat just launched into how he hates that N----- Obama, and went into a rant about black people. I had to stop him in his tracks and tell him I'm part black. I almost ended up beating the crap out of the guy but he profusely apologized. Since I'm mistaken for hispanic quite a bit I have heard the white people do this A LOT. Strangely there are WAY more black people here in Houston, not just African American but I work with a lot of engineers from Ghana and Nigeria. There really is no southern hospitality, the people are just as rude and inconsiderate as anywhere else. Also, the average person out here just seems far less educated.

The traffic here is better but there are WAY more drunk drivers. Especially out in the country, it's like they dont' respect the DUI rules at all. Probably because they aren't being enforced here.
So I you could reverse time, would you stay in cali or move to texas?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 AM

78 posts, read 262,760 times
Default In the same shoes

We made the same "mistake" almost 6 years ago. While Houston or Texas in general has sheltered us during this Great Recession and we could afford a 2nd child with only me working, there is no quality of life here and we are bored to death. We are planning to return to Southern CA, maybe San Diego area, next year and consider our stay here "temporary" until we get our finances straightened up.
Cosider it as a refuge , try to "enjoy" it even if it is difficult here in Texas and when ready, move again; either back to CA or somewhere more appealing and progressive.
Good luck and do not sell your soul to the devil !

Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,393,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I did the same (similar) thing. Moved from LA to Austin. The fact that Austin is the most liberal place in Texas kind of isn't saying much.
Austin isn't actually the most liberal place in Texas because it is swarmed by the Conservative people who run the state and the beggars who beg favors from them. Williamson County (Northern Austin suburbs) is the second most reddest part of the state.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,809,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtransplant View Post
We made the same "mistake" almost 6 years ago. While Houston or Texas in general has sheltered us during this Great Recession and we could afford a 2nd child with only me working, there is no quality of life here and we are bored to death. We are planning to return to Southern CA, maybe San Diego area, next year and consider our stay here "temporary" until we get our finances straightened up.
Cosider it as a refuge , try to "enjoy" it even if it is difficult here in Texas and when ready, move again; either back to CA or somewhere more appealing and progressive.
^^^This!! We are in Plano for only another 45 days and then we are Outta Here! Will be in San Diego on/about 03 June!! WooHoo!!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,542,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtransplant View Post
I did the exact same thing five years ago. I moved to Houston, paid off 23k in credit debt, 22k in student loans, saved up 10k and got good experience and degrees in specialized areas of special education.

With all that, I am moving to California in July and have a job that will allow me (without debt) to live there. Houston is a GREAT place to get your life together, pay things off and make something of yourself to move to a place of lower opportunities and higher costs.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,474,276 times
Quote:
So I left LA a little over a year ago for Houston. I wasn't making much money 43k and working for a small company with a jerk of an owner. I just finished my Masters in Engineering and couldn't find a job. On top of that I just had my second child and needed a place where I could afford more than a 2 br condo. So I moved with my wife to Houston, before I even got here I got a job offer. As soon as I got to Houston I had a few more job offers and started making 80k. I rent a 3br house for 1200 (cheaper than my condo in LA) and I'm buying a brand new 3200 sq ft house hopefully this month for $270k. So clearly the quality of my life has improved significantly, but there are a LOT of things I miss about LA.

You will never have better weather than So Cal. My first summer in Houston it was over 100 and humid from June to September, no freaking kidding. Also the temperature didn't drop at night, it stayed in the 80s. Even the winter was pretty warm.

The people here are terrible. My very first day of training some white guy with a cowboy hat just launched into how he hates that N----- Obama, and went into a rant about black people. I had to stop him in his tracks and tell him I'm part black. I almost ended up beating the crap out of the guy but he profusely apologized. Since I'm mistaken for hispanic quite a bit I have heard the white people do this A LOT. Strangely there are WAY more black people here in Houston, not just African American but I work with a lot of engineers from Ghana and Nigeria. There really is no southern hospitality, the people are just as rude and inconsiderate as anywhere else. Also, the average person out here just seems far less educated.

So? Are you moving back to LA? Money isn't everything you know, if you love CA so much nothing is keeping you in TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles