Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:37 PM

135 posts, read 334,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mysterious View Post
Dude, if you are renting $1200 a month, might as well buy a house. House prices there is cheap.
I'm in the process of buying, I go into underwriting this week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
Where in Houston is this 3200SQ home for 270k located?
Right here: Summerwood by Newland Communities | Houston, Texas | New-home community

Old 04-04-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I was born in Houston and lived there until I was 7. Even at that age I knew I was never going to ever move back there! The summers are miserable. Sorry for your bad time there but maybe you should have done more research on the place before going?
There are drawbacks but overall I feel I've made the best decision. I did do my research and ultimately I'm better off being able to provide a house for my kids and make more money. Although there are the obvious problems of weather and people.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstream View Post
Before moving to LA, I lived in Houston for 12 years. I do agree that the heat and the mosquitoes are something I won't miss there. I'm not a picky person and I liked living there just like I like living in LA now. I left behind friends/family, crawfish cookouts, mardi gras, the Alamo Drafthouse, and Memorial Park.

If you don't like the viewpoints of certain people, you might want to consider what Caladium suggested or maybe Austin.

As a certain group of stones lacking moss once said, "No, you can't always get what you want."
Austin home prices aren't as cheap as Houston, also not as many jobs for my field in Austin.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Obviously you've not spent a great deal of time in Houston!! The air quality is not that great!!! Houston is not my favorite city in Texas, way too urban and too much CONCRETE! It seems like it has as much freeway/highway as Los Angeles in a smaller footprint. My son lived there for approx a year and couldn't leave fast enough, even though he is one of the "club going/Partying" type. He didn't have any of the racial crap, just too crowded and dirty.

Austin is more to my liking - if I had to stay any longer than I already have!!
You're right about the air quality, it's not that great and the pollen is HORRIBLE! I forgot to mention that if you have allergies Houston is HELL. My first spring/ summer were spent drugged up on allergy meds because of hayfever, burning itchy eyes, constant sneezing. Same with my kids they kept getting ear infections from the nasal drip, now I have them on allergy medicine every day.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 PM

36,645 posts, read 67,339,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
Where in Houston is this 3200SQ home for 270k located?
There are actually a lot, in nice areas too.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,221,542 times
I did the same (similar) thing. Moved from LA to Austin. The fact that Austin is the most liberal place in Texas kind of isn't saying much.

The heat, the mosquitoes, the religious views, the hate for Californians, being landlocked, etc... all drove me back here. We almost bought a 2400 sq ft house there for $225k, and as I sit here (in LA) in my 700 sq ft overpriced apartment... I am so grateful to be living here.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM

I have to say Houston is a very diverse area, but for some reason many of the whites and blacks here still seem to be stuck in a 1950s time machine .

Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,809,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
You say "clearly the quality of my life has improved significantly" but it sounds like the quality of your life has declined significantly.
Sounds like the quality of house has improved, not so much the quality of life.
Then again, Houston is world-famous for it's nudie bar/resident ratio, so there's at least, um, that. And one can root for whoever's playing the Dynamo.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,811,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've been to the other major cities in Texas & all were nice, so I am surprised to hear Houston is lackluster. That sucks.

As for LA diversity, perhaps because I grew up here I don't see it??? Sure we have asian, hispanic, black, middle eastern areas- but very few first generations (other than from Mexico) from what I notice. Nothing like the obscure first gens I encountered outside CA such as ethiopian, tunisian, eastern euro, and a few hot italian girls with visas. Maybe they try to blend, whereas in the smaller towns in the US they dont mind flaunting their novelty.
The building I live in is packed full of Europeans, Latin Americans and Asians (not many Africans, I'll give you that). I hear them mostly speaking their native language. Maybe they aren't first generation but that is definitely diverse enough for me. There are plenty of your run-of-the-mill white Americans as well.

Also, a lot of the people in LA you think are Mexican are actually Central American. Hispanic does not equal Mexican
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles