Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 07:15 AM

10 posts, read 34,425 times

Advertisements

We are planning on buying a house and wanted to get some information from people on these two areas: Which parts of Culver City is good to buy a house? Above Venice and below I-10 and east of Overland. How about Redondo Beach around South Bay Galleria? How's that area? How's North Redondo above Grant Ave? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 12:22 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,432,609 times
I live in Redondo Beach and have lived here for 14 years.

The area near South Bay Galleria is the worst part of Redondo Beach. Redondo Beach is divided into North Redondo Beach (90278) and South Redondo Beach (90277).

As expected, the better parts of Redondo Beach cost more.

Most of 90278 starts at around Inglewood Ave to the east until Aviation Blvd to the west. The closer you are to Inglewood Ave, the worse it is. The South Bay Galleria part is east of Inglewood so that's even worse. It's basically like living in Lawndale. 90278 get better as you get closer to Aviation and from a N/S angle, the more south the better.

The typical place in 90278 is a townhouse. There are 3 on a lot townhomes which are usually attached, 3-4 bedrooms / 2-3 baths / ~1800 sq feet. The A and C units are best. B units are cheapest and worst because you have attached walled on both ends. 2 on a lot townhomes are better but more expensive. Detached are pretty nice because you don't share walls. Size is usually around 2400 sq ft for detached. They have attached 2 on a lots and those are around 2700 sq ft but you have an attached wall.

The best area to buy in 90278 is near 190th / Flagler as this is fairly close to Hermosa Beach and is in the Jefferson Elementary School district (best elementary school in Redondo).

If you go down to 90277, it's pretty nice. The streets tend to be a little wider, schools are a little better, neighborhoods aren't as packed, etc. You are also closer to the beach so you get some nice ocean breezes, etc.

The best part of 90277 is in the Riviera near Palos Verdes. This area is nice but expensive.

In general, west of PCH is closer to the beach so it's nice but also has more stores, etc. The avenues (Avenue A, B, C, etc.) west of PCH are all considered great areas but most of the single family homes are very small since they were built many years ago (think 900 sq ft, 2 bedrooms, etc.). These homes were still $1m a few years ago (not sure now).

Old 04-05-2012, 02:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_alvin View Post
We are planning on buying a house and wanted to get some information from people on these two areas: Which parts of Culver City is good to buy a house? Above Venice and below I-10 and east of Overland.
The area you describe is Palms not Culver City. I've lived in both.

I would advise buying in CC over Palms. Palms is ugly, depressing, rundown, and poorer than most of the west side. Palms east of Motor also demands some caution as to particular streets not being safe places while other streets are. Palms is part of the city of L.A. (and the LAUSD) and thus has inferior city services and more crime (although I would not consider Palms to be a dangerous place as a whole there are streets I'd avoid).

If you're interested in the value of your property, East CC is going to rise in value tremendously once the Expo Line starts. The Expo Line is going to turn Culver City into Beverly Hills.

Most of CC is pretty good. The one area that demands some caution is west of the 405. Some streets are good and others are not.

Last edited by Count David; 04-06-2012 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM

actually i work in culver city so i know this area too.

downtown culver city is pretty nice.

the residential areas are ok too. off jefferson blvd., you have the bike path (ballona creek) which has pockets of dangerous activity but i commute on it twice a week or so and it's been great. the homes near duquesne aren't too bad.

the baldwin hills scenic overlook is a nice place to work out in the morning.

palms is a bit of a dump. i wouldn't buy there but renting is fine since rents are low and you can easily get to westwood, cc, venice, etc.

compared to redondo, redondo is much nicer.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 PM

120 posts, read 479,962 times
palms is much more expensive than redondo by the south bay galleria. not even close, pound for pound. by pound for pound, i mean all things equal about the house.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:08 AM

Hi! Thanks so for your responses! I really appreciate it! All great information. More specifically, we need your feedback on specific areas in Redondo and Beverlywood (very southern part of Beverlywood just above National Ave). In Beverlywood, the house is on Kramerwood Pl. In Redondo, the house is on Green close to Artesia and Green (North Redondo area, couple of house down from library). And a townhouse in Redondo on Irena, close to intersection of Torrance Blvd and Irena (in South Redondo). Thanks so much for your help!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM

In Redondo, the area near Artesia / Green is pretty nice. I think you'll be happy there. It's safe, etc. It's a bit of a trek to the beach from here though but the area is decent and freeway access is good.

South Redondo near Torrance/Irena (either N Irena or S Irena) is nicer but further from the freeway...but closer to the beach. You can easily bike to the pier.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Thanks so much! What do you all think about Culver West, especially the west part. I heard Culver West is bad, but I was wondering if above Short and west of Centinela is good? How about west of Beethoven? From google map, culver west is just a small sliver around Culver West Park. Your input is greatly appreciated! which is the bad parts of Culver West? I am contemplating if the bad reputation of Culver West would negatively impact the good parts of Culver West, if there is a good part. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:22 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times
I think Culver West is fine as long as you don't mind the small legion of homeless people roaming around. They tend to congregate by the Costco and on Lincoln blvd. I stayed in just north of Washington in Venice and thought the area was fine as long as you can handle the traffic. IMO Culver West is preferable to Palms for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles