U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,596,311 times

Advertisements

I went to this mall quite a lot in my childhood. I'd have to see pics of how it used to be to truly recall it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 PM

164 posts, read 212,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I went to this mall quite a lot in my childhood. I'd have to see pics of how it used to be to truly recall it though.
That's how I feel too. And hey....what was the name of the Toy Store??? It wasn't KB's at all...I wanna say it was Karl's Toys, but I can't remember at all at all.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 473 times
I reemember long time ago about 1988, a man approached me at the arcade place in the mall next to what was little cesars pizza back then and asked me if I could help him pick out clothes for his nephew who lived in another city. He said is nephew was about my size and he probably wears my size clothing. Being only about 9 or 10 years old, I wasnt too alert of danger I agreed to go with him. He led me to jcpenny if I recall, and there he picked up some clothes and then told me to follow him the dressing room, where he said to try them out for him. At first I didn't think nothing of it, but when he insisted that I take of my clothes and try on some swimming trunks, I sensed something was wrong because he wanted to see me naked. I guess you could say he saw me on my underware, untill I told him I had to leave. He insistedtt I follow him to his car where he had some money to give me. I followed him to his car thinking I would get the money from this weired man and split. He led me to the parking lot between the mall and the movie theatre, I refall it was pretty lonely were he was parked. As we reached for his door, he insisted I get in and go with him for a ride, and it was ther hen my fear set in and I fered for my life. Luckaly there was a man walkig by and I saw the opportunity to get away. I told this childmolester that the man walking by was my uncle, so yi yelled "uncle" and when he tured I ran towards him. As I looked back I could see the sick man driving away. I never told anyone' and to make matters worse, a month later i went back to the mall with my mom, and guess who I saw at the mall, yes, it was him again. He also saw me for we walked into eachother. I froze in fear and he panicked walking really fast trying to leave i suppose. There was a security cop nearby, I wanted to tell him to arrest this man, but my mom was with me and I didn't want her to find out. It has been about 25 years now, and up to this day, I wish I would have spoken up when I had the chance. I really hope no one else was a victim of this terrible person. If I could give someone advice it would be not to let your children go to the mall alone because you don't know whose out there!!!!!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 PM

164 posts, read 212,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artzubia View Post
I reemember long time ago about 1988, a man approached me at the arcade place in the mall next to what was little cesars pizza back then and asked me if I could help him pick out clothes for his nephew who lived in another city. He said is nephew was about my size and he probably wears my size clothing. Being only about 9 or 10 years old, I wasnt too alert of danger I agreed to go with him. He led me to jcpenny if I recall, and there he picked up some clothes and then told me to follow him the dressing room, where he said to try them out for him. At first I didn't think nothing of it, but when he insisted that I take of my clothes and try on some swimming trunks, I sensed something was wrong because he wanted to see me naked. I guess you could say he saw me on my underware, untill I told him I had to leave. He insistedtt I follow him to his car where he had some money to give me. I followed him to his car thinking I would get the money from this weired man and split. He led me to the parking lot between the mall and the movie theatre, I refall it was pretty lonely were he was parked. As we reached for his door, he insisted I get in and go with him for a ride, and it was ther hen my fear set in and I fered for my life. Luckaly there was a man walkig by and I saw the opportunity to get away. I told this childmolester that the man walking by was my uncle, so yi yelled "uncle" and when he tured I ran towards him. As I looked back I could see the sick man driving away. I never told anyone' and to make matters worse, a month later i went back to the mall with my mom, and guess who I saw at the mall, yes, it was him again. He also saw me for we walked into eachother. I froze in fear and he panicked walking really fast trying to leave i suppose. There was a security cop nearby, I wanted to tell him to arrest this man, but my mom was with me and I didn't want her to find out. It has been about 25 years now, and up to this day, I wish I would have spoken up when I had the chance. I really hope no one else was a victim of this terrible person. If I could give someone advice it would be not to let your children go to the mall alone because you don't know whose out there!!!!!!!

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa......that is wild as hell. I am sure he's been arrested since then but man.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:22 AM

846 posts, read 460,241 times
Used to lived a street next to the mosque behind it. The only thing they done to it in recent years was using it to shoot the Green Lantern. The surrounding businesses were dying around there the last I was there despite of it being an area with good foot traffic and I would be surprise if they open it up again. The surrounding areas are just a little too low income for it.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,069,707 times
I wonder if they are going to do anything with the property. It's been 17 something years since the Hawthorne Malls been closed

Old 05-20-2013, 10:50 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,596,311 times
artzubia, glad you're safe, but no parent should have let her 9/10...heck 15 yr old to the mall alone anyway! You really dodged a bullet! I wouldn't be surprised if the man has molested 20+ kids by now. Hopefully, he's been put away long ago!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 PM

9,758 posts, read 13,868,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I wonder if they are going to do anything with the property. It's been 17 something years since the Hawthorne Malls been closed
I remember shopping at The Broadway when they were clearing out the store and i bought a whole new work wardrobe on the cheap. That was around this time of year, 1997. 16 years.

On the rare occasion when I drive by (usually for breakfast at Chip's) it looks like a movie set for an apocalyptic film. Escape from Hawthorne, ha!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 PM

5,340 posts, read 2,472,887 times
There's really nothing that the city of Hawthorne can do to it, because with the folks with serious $$$$ long ago moved out of the area to El Seguno, Torrance and points south, and the Del Amo Fashion Square, which was the largest shopping mall in the USA until the Mall Of America in Bloomington, MN opened remains the class of the area, surrounded by wealthy resident and every major retailer and restaurant chain you can think of, not to mention a ton of very busy new car dealerships, and especially the ones who sell hot-selling imports, which have dominated the sales charts in California for over three decades.

Between the South Bay Galleria and Del Amo Fashion Square, Hawthorne is stuck with an empty mall which cannot be brought back to life.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 153 times
Has anyone ever tried to do anythong about the HUGE feral cat population that lives in the mall? If all those cats are fertile (not spayed or neutered), I shutter to think how many more cats will be born over the next few months and years. Has the City ever taken any action? There are programs that will trap the cats, spay them and then return them. I do see food dishes in the area. I support feeding them, but they all need to be fixed in order to prevent cat overpopulation! Does anyone know about this? Thank you. I am new to the area and was shocked to see about 20 cats running around the parking lot. Made me wonder how many more are in the mall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles