Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
I grew up in LA and just assumed apartments never came with refrigerators until I realized it was just the opposite in every other major city in America. Regardless of the legal/safety/cleanliness issues raised regarding an appliance supplied by the landlord vs. one supplied by the tenant, why is it only in Southern California where this is standard practice? Are Southern Californians that much more litigious than Northern Californians or New Yorkers? Or is it just one of those unknowable mysteries of the universe, like Southern Californians saying "The 405" while the other 49 states would just say "405"?
Might be that So Cal people are a lil nuts. I mean this is probably the most populous region in the country right? I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
^^^^ Proof positive that some Americans are whiny little female dogs.
Some of the most entitled people in the world.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
So you post a picture that, honestly, is one of the worst beauty pictures I have ever seen. Creepy is the first word I would use to describe that picture.

Sorry, but all of the above is junk. You sound like a slum lord who is trying to deflect your cheapness with lies and unsourced statements. It's the job of an apartment owner to make upgrades and repairs. You act like you do it out of the kindness of your heart. That, right there, is a big warning sign.

You try to say "I NEVER RAISE RENT" and then talk about sound business practice a little later. Sorry, but you're making conflicting statements. If you really cared about your residents you would provide basic utilities to enhance their lives. Give us a reference to someone who has lived in your apartment building 20, or whatever, years.

My apartment hallway just got new carpet. It's cleaned weekly. We aren't expected to pay cleaning bills for that. It also came with a fridge and a stove. These are basic responsibilities I expect when I rent. Not something to brag about.

You make statements but give no evidence to back up that you aren't a slum lord. Where is your property list? What do you charge for rent? It's the internet. Anyone can claim something. And, honestly, based on that picture your apartments look crappy. And your refusal to give a property list, while trying to claim public forum, is hilarious. If you're so great of a landlord you'd love free advertisement.
Your response was hilarious. Your refusal to understand logic is hilarious. You made this personal and that pic was fine. Do us all a favor and go to one of the forums about unreasonable and illogical behavior and just post pics of yourself.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Terrific first post.
I agree, months later. Great post!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I disagree. Like what most people said, they are a hassle to keep clean, most people don't. It's not a huge deal in my opinion. I'm from the midwest and yeah they usually come with the place but I find that I feel better having my own fridge than using one that has possibly been used by everyone. "ridiculous" an overstatement.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,022,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
The entitlement young Americans have these days is unbelievable. They've never put in a hard day's work in their lives and yet they want everything handed to them on a silver platter.
It's not just "young americans", but MOST AMERICANS who do not reside in California and never heard of such a thing before.

Do not ask me to pay more than $400 or $500 in rent, if you're not going to supply a refrigerator.

The "entitlement" of California landlords to charge huge rents and not supply a fridge is unbelievable!

Quote:
Landlords don't owe you crap except what's agreed upon in the lease. If the landlord says "I'm giving you a fridge" and doesn't, that's one thing, but to act like you're owed it is totally ludicrous.
A fridge and a STOVE is "owed" to me regardless of what the lease says if it's an APARTMENT I'M RENTING. If it's something I'm PURCHASING, then that's a different story.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I couldn't let your post go by without a response.
Over the years, I have been told, not only by my tenants, but those who are associated with my business, that I am one of the best landlords in the entire city.
The reasons this may be so are below:
My rents are lower than market value by choice, that being, it is not a quest to make bundles of money,but rather to give people a break when renting.
My buildings are ALWAYS maintained in 100% condition.
I NEVER raise the rent.
I don't care if a tenant stays 20 years, they will not be paying a dime more than they did, the day they moved in.
Over the years I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars in capital improvements on the properties, and not asked one tenant to give any kind of reimbursement.
Legally I am entitled to collect a percentage of the capital improvements, but I have never felt the want, or need to do that.
My properties are located in sought after communities.
ALL my properties are kept in immaculate condition.
The picture below is one of my properties in the northeast section of the city, and is representative of all my properties.
The face that I choose to not supply stoves and refrigerators is nothing more than a sound business practice.
Over the years, my not increasing the rents has proven to be another sound business practice.

Bob.
You don't supply STOVES?? STOVES????

I'm just...just speechless at this. So basically you're renting HUGE ROOMS and masquerading them as APARTMENTS, then?

The not having a fridge thing is messed up in itself, but to not have a STOVE...I'm sorry, but even some third world countries got STOVES!!!

How can you justify this? Are your tenants Americans or illegals who don't ask too many questions?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You don't supply STOVES?? STOVES????

I'm just...just speechless at this. So basically you're renting HUGE ROOMS and masquerading them as APARTMENTS, then?

The not having a fridge thing is messed up in itself, but to not have a STOVE...I'm sorry, but even some third world countries got STOVES!!!

How can you justify this? Are your tenants Americans or illegals who don't ask too many questions?
Umm - anyone can buy and install a stove/range).

The cost of having one provided with the apartment would just be factored into the rent.

What is the big deal?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
A fridge and a STOVE is "owed" to me regardless of what the lease says if it's an APARTMENT I'M RENTING. If it's something I'm PURCHASING, then that's a different story.
Uhh - explain to me why you are owed a refigerator and a stove "regardless of what the lease says".

How can that be?

Do you not understand what constitutes a contract? It is a document that can be enforced due to the mutual agreement of two or more parties.

If one party does not agree that a refrigerator or stove should come with a rented unit - then how can you be "owed" such appliances?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Uhh - explain to me why you are owed a refigerator and a stove "regardless of what the lease says".

How can that be?

Do you not understand what constitutes a contract? It is a document that can be enforced due to the mutual agreement of two or more parties.

If one party does not agree that a refrigerator or stove should come with a rented unit - then how can you be "owed" such appliances?
Look, if the place doesn't come with a fridge or stove, then I'm not paying more than $400 for it. As far as I'm concerned, you're renting me a huge room with my own bathroom. That's it.

I'm not from California, so this not having a fridge or stove thing in apartments is FOREIGN to me. The excuses given for not having them are just that "excuses". Refrigerators hardly ever breakdown. All the ones my family and friends have had lasted damn near forever, especially the old school, bulky energy draining ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles