Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Treat your tenants like animals if you want but they're not going to like or respect you.
Such drama over a damn fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
If you don't like being a landlord and think it's too annoying and expensive, don't be a landlord, there are thousands of other people who would like a guaranteed monthly revenue stream in exchange for zero work and some invested money.
Someone's not a landlord...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 PM

76 posts, read 76,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
They have a very valid "Excuse" it is called the statute of Habitability which clearly defines what a home must have and refrigeration is not on the list...

Landlords' and Tenants' Responsibilities for Habitability and Repairs, Legal Guide LT-8 - California Department of Consumer Affairs
LOL! I wasn't talking about legal requirements, but about common sense... and I was referring to furnished apartments for shorter term renters (let's say up to 1 year)

Old 04-22-2012, 12:41 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccdan View Post
LOL! I wasn't talking about legal requirements, but about common sense... and I was referring to furnished apartments for shorter term renters (let's say up to 1 year)
Furnished rentals is a niche market where I have no experience...

I knew a company that would rent furnished which included all appliances, basic furniture like a dining table, sofa and bedroom set(s) and window coverings... he was doing well and had a lot of military renters back in the 80's... don't really see to many furnished rentals these days since the extended stay Hotels became popular.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:07 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I'm moving from Houston to Los Angeles (the two cities seem to swap people often) and I'm noticing that most apartments come without fridges. Why is that? Is this just something someone thought up as a way to add extra fees (most places will rent you one for 30 bucks/month) or is there a good reason why they don't provide them? It all seems very strange...
That is the good reason why they don't provide them!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 PM

362 posts, read 543,520 times
If I wanted to rent a place that had no fridge or stove, I would simply buy my own. This is not a deal-breaker for me. I've gotten some great deals on Craigslist.

My mum never used to provide appliances for her tenants. Her reasoning was that she didn't want to pay for repairs, but as time went on, she changed her mind. Now all of her units have gleaming stainless steel appliances. She figures that she owes it to her tenants who are willing pay top dollar rent ($1,500/mo in Alhambra) in a down economy like this one.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 14,954 times
Personally, I was shocked when I looked for apartments here.
Most apartments near college didn't include refrigerator. Coming from East coast, I was baffled.
Those apartments were big complex managed by professionals. I thought they were low balling me when I found out no refrigerator was provided and would require additional 30~50 dollars.

Next day, I found much better apartment with better location. The apartment also had new fridge and other appliances. The rent was $100 higher but the building is newer, location is better and I didn't have to hassle with other company to rent basic appliances.

I hope when people put advertisements for rent, they should incluce whether fridge is provided or not. It would save time for people like me.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 AM

26 posts, read 52,164 times
I own an appliance repair business in WI.
I make a lot of $$$ from tenant abused refrigerators.
It is true that, when people have their own, they usually take better care of them.

BTW-I'm visiting this forum because I lived in Reseda during the quake in '70 or '71.
Here in WI, even though we get tornados, we get warnings.lol

I took a trip back to CA in '87 and, it was like visiting a different country.

Of the places I lived there then, my favorite was Tujunga.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:46 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Nice one aren't cheap and its the one thing I own that I can't move myself.
Nice ones............you do know the pupose of a fridge is to keep stuff cool/frozen..........right???

A functional, used fridge can be had for about 100 bucks. Throw in a high fru-fruosity factor and make it a new one, well then, you are up to 1000 smackers.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Nice ones............you do know the pupose of a fridge is to keep stuff cool/frozen..........right???

A functional, used fridge can be had for about 100 bucks. Throw in a high fru-fruosity factor and make it a new one, well then, you are up to 1000 smackers.
Personally, I like refrigerators with a freezer bigger than a couple of shoe boxes. Those tend to be more expensive. And a $100 used fridge doesn't do me a lot of good if I can't get it home.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Personally, I like refrigerators with a freezer bigger than a couple of shoe boxes. Those tend to be more expensive. And a $100 used fridge doesn't do me a lot of good if I can't get it home.
Uh, you have to get home any fridge you buy....right?? Spell it out, I am scratching my head?

Oh well, everyone NEEDS a Stainless fridge with a very high fru-fruosity factor and price to match.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by Count David; 05-07-2012 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles