U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 04-16-2012, 07:32 PM

1,082 posts, read 444,499 times
From what I've seen on the west coast, the further north you go the more people feel the need to justify where they're living by comparing it to LA and pointing out how their miserable little corner of the world is BETTER than LA.

Unread 04-16-2012, 09:59 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,808,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCburn View Post
I love LA!

But I guess I love it for some of the very same reasons that many of you seem to think everyone else hates it.

Besides the obvious (weather, beaches, nightlife) I love the fact that there are trillions of delusional wannabe stars moving to LA almost daily. It does add to the overall social atmosphere. I love the fact that it's so spread out, because I get to experience completely different llifestyles, seemingly worlds apart... yet, I don't think it's really all that far away. I love the fact that people think Angelinos are so shallow and superficial. It's funny because people in LA (Cali in general) have the guts to try to be exactly what they want to be... And they are generally so much less judgemental.

I love the fact that it's a tourist trap in some people's minds and meeting people from all over the world who are eager to live out whatever ridiculous stereotype that brought them to LA.

If you don't like it, I don't think anyone in LA is going to force you to stay.

What I also like is getting to watch college football from 8AM to 10PM, I get to watch boxing and STILL make it out to the club on Saturday Night before it's too late, and I get to watch Monday Night Football during happy hour... and I love the fact that idiots keep spreading the ridiculous notion that DTLA is abandoned wasteland, because the rent is sooooooooo cheap for what you woud get living in a comparable area in any other city.

To each his own my friends, to each his own.
Good post.

What I have found is that LA is big enough where you can find any kind of social circle you want, and there are PLENTY, PLENTY of people that are down to earth and sincere like anywhere else.

Nonetheless I find the stereotypical, "superficial" LA to be simply: entertainment. And I have a lot of respect for those moving here to break in the entertainment industry. California is like the American dream on steroids. And it adds to the dynamism.

And the states history is full of it:

From the Gold Rush days of the 1800s to the desperate dustbowl Okies, to Howard Hughes and his airplanes, to the entire history of the entertainment industry. The Day of the Locust could just as easily have taken place in 2011. To the big dreamers that created the technological revolution in Silicon Valley, to the Asian, Middle Eastern, and Latin American immigrants looking for a better life. This state is pretty awesome, colorful, and romantic.

And in this mix, anyone, anyone, can truly be themselves here.

Unread 04-17-2012, 09:56 AM

4,199 posts, read 3,885,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I can dish it as well as take it, dear.
That much I will give you credit for. But they stopped makin Angelenos like you 50 years ago.

Hence why I was never the one to call you bubbles

Unread 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM

54 posts, read 52,799 times
The reality of a place is often different than it's reputation. What's interesting about California
is how vast the difference is.
In the 1960s when the Supreme Court outlawed racial discrimination in housing, Californians had one
of their famous ballot propositions and voted overwhelmingly to preserve racial discrimination. Yet who remembers that today? Instead we imagine Gidget and Moondoggie's summer of love.
"White flight" that's something we associate with all those cold grey cities in cold grey states. Why?
Think Pepperdine was always in Malibu?
I'm not condemning LA for being sadly normal. I'm questioning the idea it's not.
When people here extol the wonders of LA nobody ever mentions the port. The LA/Long Beach Port
is one of the most important in the world. We all own things that arrived in that port and came up
Alameda. But that's only reality. That's not the myth.

Unread 04-21-2012, 10:25 PM

67 posts, read 55,682 times
traffic jam, smog, and minorities

Unread 04-21-2012, 10:51 PM

16,591 posts, read 17,376,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Hence why I was never the one to call you bubbles
Good memory.

Unread 04-22-2012, 02:21 PM

1,183 posts, read 382,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I just got home from being out with people after a long hike in the hills and canyons today, and I thought of a theory as to why people don't like LA.

For people who want a "real city" with high density and public transportation to allow them to live in an urban bubble like Manhattan, Downtown Chicago, etc. LA is not "city" enough for them.

For those who are primarily interested in suburban or small town living, maximizing the size of a house or lot or yard/quality of public schools for the lowest price, there are too few areas in southern California that suit them, so they are attracted to Texas cities, other areas in the sunbelt, or even suburban areas of midwest/east coast metros.

For those who primarily are looking for the maximum outdoor lifestyle, there are too many people in southern California, that the mountains, desert, etc. don't quite do it for them the way the empty wilderness of the intermountain west of Pacific northwest. Or maybe looking for totally unspoiled beaches, or whatever.

But the thing about LA and Southern California, is that all these elements are all mixed together in a unique way. But most people like one that it TOTALLY one of these three. (or maybe even has two of the three).

What do you think?
People talk lots of smack but facts are facts. There is a reason that 16 million people live here and about 30 million in California. There is a reason why houses here cost 3 times what some crap box house in Houston or Dallas cost. There is a reason why, despite hard times economically, the population here continues to climb every year. And there is a reason we went from being the 4th largest metro to number 2. People want to live here. Yes, we have problems but unlike some places, we are actually trying to address them. Especially transportation.

Unread 04-22-2012, 02:44 PM

37 posts, read 20,989 times
From what I can see, through many readings of these "Why LA sucks" or in the "City vs. City" threads, the hatred directed towards LA usually results from 3 things:

1) Racism
2) Ignorance
3) Jealousy

You couldn't pay me to live in Houston, Chicago, or New York. LA is the place for me; and 30 million other people........

Unread 04-22-2012, 08:52 PM

5,431 posts, read 5,103,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I just got home from being out with people after a long hike in the hills and canyons today, and I thought of a theory as to why people don't like LA.

For people who want a "real city" with high density and public transportation to allow them to live in an urban bubble like Manhattan, Downtown Chicago, etc. LA is not "city" enough for them.

For those who are primarily interested in suburban or small town living, maximizing the size of a house or lot or yard/quality of public schools for the lowest price, there are too few areas in southern California that suit them, so they are attracted to Texas cities, other areas in the sunbelt, or even suburban areas of midwest/east coast metros.

For those who primarily are looking for the maximum outdoor lifestyle, there are too many people in southern California, that the mountains, desert, etc. don't quite do it for them the way the empty wilderness of the intermountain west of Pacific northwest. Or maybe looking for totally unspoiled beaches, or whatever.

But the thing about LA and Southern California, is that all these elements are all mixed together in a unique way. But most people like one that it TOTALLY one of these three. (or maybe even has two of the three).

What do you think?
Just like there is no "fury" like that of a woman scorned "there is no Fury" like that of someone coming to CALIFORNIA to find PARADISE and
their's dreams and visions of PARADISE and to suddenly have them falling apart right before their's very eyes...LOL.....Falling Out Of My Chair....

Unread 04-22-2012, 09:13 PM

5,431 posts, read 5,103,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
It's funny how a lot of Angelinos assume people hate LA out of jealousy, I find this attitude incredibly arrogant, delusional and smug. I've met plenty of people that were wealthy that could easily afford to live in LA if they wanted to but don't out of choice.
I know it's hard for arrogant Angelinos to confront the fact that many people don't like the city due to its flaws and not out of supposed jealousy.
When the day comes when "LA" loses population , like Chicago and Philly
and Detroit , then and only then will I believe that all the hatred toward
"LA" isn't based in pure old fashion " Jealousy" ...A City So Hated should
Be Losing People 60 second of every minute of the day don't you think??.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles