Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 08:38 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I'd be careful with the "stereotypes contain truth" argument, because the finger points back, and compromises your testimony. I have no doubt you met a "jerk from L.A." in college. I've met 'em too! But what stereotypes, though, do you think exist about Northern Californians, about their self-perceptions, their attitudes, and their interactions? Is there truth to them? Was the L.A. student the only stereotypical jerk?
Well to be truthful the majority of people I met from LA seemed to be of low caliber in College. But on the flip side most of my co workers from LA are cool and some good snowboarding buddys are from LA. Like I said before, it's a 50-50 give and take.

And hell yea there are stereotypes that people fit into in northern california. I could write a triste about that. There is really the ugly turth no one wants to admit : Cities have identities(some times multiple ones) and they don't always rub people the right way.

I can only think of 3 reasons people don't like some place. Either the location, the weather, or the people. And with LA, we know the location and weather is hard to beat. So that only leaves one possible reason people could dislike LA.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 AM

880 posts, read 1,799,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Los Angeles is to the US what the US is to the world. Everyone bashes it, but secretly wishes they were here, especially in the winter.

Me, I've been here from birth and seriously considering picking up and heading east (young man.) I might invest in some beach front property (c.2013) in AZ ot NV <<smirk>>
It's funny how a lot of Angelinos assume people hate LA out of jealousy, I find this attitude incredibly arrogant, delusional and smug. I've met plenty of people that were wealthy that could easily afford to live in LA if they wanted to but don't out of choice.
I know it's hard for arrogant Angelinos to confront the fact that many people don't like the city due to its flaws and not out of supposed jealousy.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:08 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Our governor..............................MOONBEAM is the frankenstein of progressive regression. We are the laughing stock and the bain of this country. We are living proof of how to squander the 8th largest GDP without even trying. We are only unique as the biggest idiots, consistently voting in bigger idiots, on the planet.

So, how's Meg working out at HP?

Instead of slurring belligerent nonsense at 2:45 am, shouldn't you be working on a petition to draft Sylvester Stallone for Governor? Because that's not humiliating the state at all. At least to those incapable of shame.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
It's funny how a lot of Angelinos assume people hate LA out of jealousy, I find this attitude incredibly arrogant, delusional and smug. I've met plenty of people that were wealthy that could easily afford to live in LA if they wanted to but don't out of choice.
I know it's hard for arrogant Angelinos to confront the fact that many people don't like the city due to its flaws and not out of supposed jealousy.
You realize the "jealous" thing was sarcasm? Its sounds like you are invested in the idea that it's a commonly held belief. Otherwise, if you don't live here, why do you have a strong opinion, one way or the other?

Old 04-14-2012, 12:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Otherwise, if you don't live here, why do you have a strong opinion, one way or the other?
Because we're the big target. When it comes to L.A., everyone has an opinion. I'd love for all the supposed dislike of the area to render itself as a 2 or 3 million fewer bodies.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Because we're the big target. When it comes to L.A., everyone has an opinion. I'd love for all the supposed dislike of the area to render itself as a 2 or 3 million fewer bodies.
I'd check a box on the state tax return to contribute to the cause.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 PM

108 posts, read 110,708 times
I can tell you what I don't like about LA:

-the drivers are the worst and rudest in the country
-the air pollution sucks, especially in the summer
-taxes are awful for business
-parking is often a nightmare in many parts of the city

Things I DO like about LA:

-best place in the world to meet talented musicians
-people are generally friendly when you meet them, despite the awful driving behavior
-so much diversity
-always things to do
-marijuana is legal
-nice weather with no tornadoes to worry about

Old 04-14-2012, 06:14 PM

880 posts, read 1,799,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
You realize the "jealous" thing was sarcasm? Its sounds like you are invested in the idea that it's a commonly held belief. Otherwise, if you don't live here, why do you have a strong opinion, one way or the other?
Really, I didn't sense any sarcasm, even if it was there's plenty of people that hold that belief.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Here I feel like 1/4 of the population buys into national stereotypes about LA.
At least, and they ham it up!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
I love how some of the posters here who complain about stereotypes are the first to stereotype places like say, the bible belt (Fonnugget), or the midwest (robertpolyglot).

Like I said, stereotypes exist for a reason. And really everyone stereotypes other groups, so cut the LA victim mentality crapola. You ain't rodney king
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles