Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:12 PM

11 posts, read 45,729 times

Advertisements

I'm currently on the LA apartment hunt with two friends of mine, and we could use some wise words of wisdom. We're going there to act, so the main thing we're looking for is proximity to the "action", which I'm assuming is mostly in studio city/the valley/stuff like that, places we'd be auditioning. Safety comes second, we don't want to live in a shady area. Besides that, we're just trying to find a three bedroom apartment. Nothing lavish.

Some areas we were told to look into after doing research/talking to some people were: Silver Lake, Sherman Oaks, Culver City, and potentially some of the beachy areas like Venice and Redondo. West LA stuff.

I just spoke to a Realtor on the phone who ended up giving me advice for about a half hour, and she told me that if I wanted to act, it'd be foolish to live in west LA because traffic would get unbearable, and that I should look into places closer to the valley, like Burbank, Valley Village, and North Hollywood stuff. Which is directly contradicting what we were told before.

What are your thoughts on the matter now that you've lived out there for a while? We are TOTALLY lost and we'd love some input, especially if it can be from someone who's familiar with the acting scene out there.

Thanks!

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM

We'd also ideally like to spend around 2000-2200 for rent between the 3 of us. The cheaper the better!

Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 PM

884 posts, read 1,166,390 times
Hmm i would imagine north hollywood/burbank for that price is your best bet, I remember 3 bedrooms in the nicer areas of north hollywood going for 1800+. Actually I looked at renting a house that was in decent shape (with a jacuzzi!) and walking distance from the arts district that was $1650...I don't remember if utilities were included, laundry on site, and 3 bedroom house. Tiny bedrooms, but adorable kitchen. I would definitely look there with your budget. I'm guessing parts of Burbank in that range would work too. Do you guys have cars? I recommend them, and maybe expanding your search to Glendale...i've seen some nice 3 bedroom apts in Glendale in your range.

Silver lake might be a crapshoot, I have seen 2 bedrooms in your range.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM

I hear Glendale has a lot of unsavory parts. Is this not true?

I'm just confused about west VS north LA. West is apparently nicer, but North LA has closer proximity to the valley/auditions? If someone can clear that up for us, that'd be great.

We're really trying to narrow it down to like, 3 neighborhoods to look into. My buddy really wants Culver City, but I've heard conflicting opinions as to whether it's close enough to the acting scene or not.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:38 PM

927 posts, read 2,457,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kess0r View Post
I hear Glendale has a lot of unsavory parts. Is this not true?

I'm just confused about west VS north LA. West is apparently nicer, but North LA has closer proximity to the valley/auditions? If someone can clear that up for us, that'd be great.

We're really trying to narrow it down to like, 3 neighborhoods to look into. My buddy really wants Culver City, but I've heard conflicting opinions as to whether it's close enough to the acting scene or not.
The Westside is considered a bit more desirable. In general, it seems to attract more young professionals, 20s & 30s crowd that is well established, as it's close to UCLA, 20 min from downtown, near the beach, etc... Sony Pictures is in Culver City and Fox is in West LA, but other than that, it would be a nightmare getting up the 405 for acting classes and auditions.

The Valley, North Hollywood, Burbank, etc... is where more of the actors, auditions, and studios are located. The Valley is considered less desirable, as it gets extremely hot in the summer and it's not a close to the beach. However, rent is a bit less expensive.

Based on your post, I would suggest looking in North Hollywood, Burbank, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, or even Los Feliz. Those areas will be a lot closer to your auditions and you won't have to be stuck in traffic on the 405 for an hour to get there.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:58 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
Culver is great if you work in the area and don't have to haul yourself around too much. I know 4 people in their mid-late 20's trying to do the acting thing that live in Sherman Oaks and Burbank. That seems to be the sweet spot.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:15 PM

Yeah, Culver is our #1 ideally from what we gather, but we keep getting mixed reports as to if it's too far to reasonably audition from there...

Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM

203 posts, read 574,699 times
Most of the ones I know are ALL in North Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, Glendale, Burbank, and a few in Palms, Culver City, Koreatown, Mid-Wilshire.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:49 PM

203 posts, read 574,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
The Westside is considered a bit more desirable. In general, it seems to attract more young professionals, 20s & 30s crowd that is well established, as it's close to UCLA, 20 min from downtown, near the beach, etc... Sony Pictures is in Culver City and Fox is in West LA, but other than that, it would be a nightmare getting up the 405 for acting classes and auditions.

The Valley, North Hollywood, Burbank, etc... is where more of the actors, auditions, and studios are located. The Valley is considered less desirable, as it gets extremely hot in the summer and it's not a close to the beach. However, rent is a bit less expensive.

Based on your post, I would suggest looking in North Hollywood, Burbank, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, or even Los Feliz. Those areas will be a lot closer to your auditions and you won't have to be stuck in traffic on the 405 for an hour to get there.
Yep. And there is a small bit of elitism, Westsiders and especially those who don't act see it like all the "struggling actors/actresses/dancers/models" live in North L.A./Hollywood where it's a bit dirtier, but they are in great location for the studios there. Just that there isn't much else there besides a little bit of night life and food spots...and traffic getting back into the city can be hell during random times of the day.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,758,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
Yep. And there is a small bit of elitism, Westsiders and especially those who don't act see it like all the "struggling actors/actresses/dancers/models" live in North L.A./Hollywood where it's a bit dirtier, but they are in great location for the studios there. Just that there isn't much else there besides a little bit of night life and food spots...and traffic getting back into the city can be hell during random times of the day.
North Hollywood seems like the best bet. If you can afford it, Hollywood is a more interesting place to live and still very close to most studios (North Hollywood and Hollywood are two completely different places, btw). Many of my neighbors are aspiring actors or work in the industry, so it is definitely doable. It is slightly gritty, but you are moving to the second biggest city in the country, you're just going to have to deal with a little grittiness/seediness no matter where you chose to move, especially at your price range and with your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles