U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:43 AM

806 posts, read 1,137,865 times
Default April 29..."DAPPER DAY" on the LA Subway!

Don't miss it! All you transit lovers AND nostalgia lovers will have a blast!

Los Angeles: Sunday, April 29th, 2012 (http://dapperday.railla.org/Dapper_Day/Dapper_Day_on_the_Subway.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 AM

2,066 posts, read 2,292,558 times
Is the Red Line compatible with New York City's subway cars? If so, I'd like to see Metro borrow or buy a few antique subway cars for occasions like this.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 AM

1,185 posts, read 835,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Is the Red Line compatible with New York City's subway cars? If so, I'd like to see Metro borrow or buy a few antique subway cars for occasions like this.
Hire a bunch of gradditi writers and bring us back to 1979!

DJ Grand Wizard Theodore-Subway Theme - YouTube

Last edited by Chicano3000X; 04-10-2012 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 AM

945 posts, read 789,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
No need to waste the money.
Just have a bunch of people urinate all over the cars, another bunch eat food and leave their trash behind, and have all the riders not use deodorant that day.
If you want that authentic NY feel, that is.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM

2,262 posts, read 4,392,933 times
It looks horribly organized. Too bad, because it looks like it would be fun. If people actually participated, that is. It doesn't really explain what to do, exactly. When/where are the historic tours? Where will the string quartet be? (WILL there be a string quartet? It just says to "imagine" one, heh)

I'd totally be into it if I thought I wouldn't be the only one all dressed up... and I knew a little better about where/what things were happening.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:58 AM

64 posts, read 52,084 times
Well it would definitely increase the appeal of using public transit for many folks. I know many New Yorkers here in LA who don't use public transit because they feel there's a stigma. That if you don't drive, you're working class and/or poor. Whereas in NY people from all walks of life use the subway.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 PM

46 posts, read 78,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in the City View Post
Well it would definitely increase the appeal of using public transit for many folks. I know many New Yorkers here in LA who don't use public transit because they feel there's a stigma. That if you don't drive, you're working class and/or poor. Whereas in NY people from all walks of life use the subway.
Stigma? Nah... look, even Vincent Kartheiser, the actor who plays Pete Campbell in Mad Men takes the LA's red line subway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/fashion/03With.html

Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM

8,866 posts, read 5,303,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkatmu View Post
Stigma? Nah... look, even Vincent Kartheiser, the actor who plays Pete Campbell in Mad Men takes the LA's red line subway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/fashion/03With.html
No I think he is right; a lot of transplants that took PT in their own cities feel like that is not the "LA" thing to do. There definitely is not a stigma - when I am on the Red Line I see people from all walks of life - rich, poor, trendy and bummy.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,392,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No I think he is right; a lot of transplants that took PT in their own cities feel like that is not the "LA" thing to do. There definitely is not a stigma - when I am on the Red Line I see people from all walks of life - rich, poor, trendy and bummy.
I definitely felt that way. In Boston, I took the train everywhere growing up (and to & from work as an adult). When I visit NYC, I take the train instead of drive. I have yet to have ever taken the train here in LA. Not so much because of stigma. I just don't feel like I know much about it. I'd have to drive to a train station in the first place, and then take the train from there and it seems just as easy to just drive. If there was a train to the beach (from Burbank/NoHo), I'd totally be on that.

Otherwise, I feel like mostly all I could do is go downtown.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM

945 posts, read 789,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in the City View Post
Refuse to use the subways in NYC due to their unbelievable grossness.

Tried L.A. subways this past summer, No Problem!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles